Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it ok to live off lemonade? - 14 weeks

(17 Posts)
Xabi Thu 13-Nov-14 12:27:15

Hello, I'm usually really good with my drinking. I'll drink water or squash all day long. Recently though, the last 3 weeks or so I can't drink fruit squash it leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. And I can't seem to drink water, only first thing in the morning and I vomit it all up anyway.
The only drink that goes down nice is lemonade - I have a bit of a craving for it too, not sure if it's because I'm thirsty and the only thing I fancy is lemonade.
So my question is, is it ok to just drink lemonade (sugar free) all day? No water.
I know they say soda is so bad for you but it's all I want at the moment.

Siarie Thu 13-Nov-14 12:28:47

Totally get this, I can't drink water unless it's in a bottle so that I can't smell it. When I have squash it leaves this weird taste too, I'm drinking diet coke which isn't good but I'm also forcing myself to drink water and squash in-between.

browneyedgirly Thu 13-Nov-14 12:50:36

I ate mainly plain crisps and white bread during the first 14 weeks because it was all I could stomach! I was really worried about the lack of nutrients I was getting but everyone said to just get back on healthy track when I felt better, which thankfully has happened (I'm 22 weeks now) so I'm eating much more normally again. So I'd say don't worry too much, but even if it's sugar free it will be full of sweeteners which aren't amazing for you so I'd try to get back into water as soon as you can stomach it.

Hope you feel better soon!

LouMum14 Thu 13-Nov-14 14:05:38

Totally off water and squash myself, just sent the DH out for a can of lemonade and some space raiders!

Twinklestar2 Thu 13-Nov-14 14:07:51

Funnily enough I craved lemonade too!!

SilverStars Thu 13-Nov-14 14:10:48

I am into fizzy water with slice of lemon or fizzy water with lemon squash as a sort of compromise! Have you tried those?

TheScenicRoute Thu 13-Nov-14 20:54:06

I can completely sympathise! I couldn't drink anything it made me feel so so sick that I couldn't manage more that a sip, at my worst during the first trimester I was only managing to get about 200mls a day! I was so worried and so thirsty!

The only two things I could manage were fresh Orange juice and full sugar lemonade (sugar free and artificial sweetener left me with a terrible taste). I definitely couldn't face water.

This started to ease for me at approx 18 weeks, I'm now 25 weeks and managing to drink about 1 litre a day which I'm happy about!! I can now manage water and cordial, but milk and dairy has become a problem grrrr.

All my scans have been OK amniotic fluid wise than goodness. My midwife suggested ice, which I never tried, or taking sips through a straw rather from the glass.

I even got wee envy of the ladies in the cubicles next to me in the work toilets! Lol

I think, just drink whatever you can manage, I must have put on a tonne of weight from all those high sugar drinks, but at least I wasn't in hospital on a drip.

Good luck

MrsCrankypants Thu 13-Nov-14 20:57:26

Have you tried freezing fruit juice or squash into ice pops? They might be refreshing for you without the feeling you have to swallow liquid

magneticfield55 Thu 13-Nov-14 20:57:52

I think it's fine, drink what you can manage. But a friend gave me a tip when I was doing the same and worried- carbonated water and a dash of lemon squash= lemonade. And it was grand and tasted lovely.

Chefpepperjack Thu 13-Nov-14 21:03:00

What about those lemonade ice lollies?

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Nov-14 21:03:00

I didn't keep anything down for 17 weeks, then lived on tonic water, prawn sandwhiches and mini cheddars.

Sarkymare Thu 13-Nov-14 21:21:17

Sips of sprite and ice cubes were my only fluid intake for the first 6-7 months or so of pregnancy. Of course water is ideally the fluid of choice but lemonade is a hell of a lot better than lying in a hospital bed hooked up to IV's because you're severely dehydrated.

Sarkymare Thu 13-Nov-14 21:24:58

I forgot to add that I found the colder the drink, the easier on the stomach it was. everything i drank would have to spend a minimum of 1 hour in the freezer or be full to the brim with ice. My god is was so refreshing!

Xabi Thu 13-Nov-14 22:14:16

Thankyou for the ice ideas I think I will try that, I'll get lemon squash and see how I get on with freezing it. I've already been in hospital twice with this pregnancy on a drip so trying hard to keep fluids down now and lemonade is the only thing that stays down. I'm glad I'm not alone, thank you to everyone thanks xx

TheScenicRoute Thu 13-Nov-14 23:38:20

How are you with soups or thick broths? Weirdly I could tolerate soup, unwisely the saltier the better, but at least it was some sort of fluid.

paddlenorapaddle Fri 14-Nov-14 06:26:48

Ooh I know this feeling hang in there it should get better

Currently eating almonds and pink grapefruit juice

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 14-Nov-14 06:42:06

Have you tried making your own lemonade? It's really easy to do and would be better for you. Just slowly heat sugar in a pan to make a sugar syrup, add it to lots of squeezed lemon juice, get empty lemonade bottle, put it in with lots of water then, when it's cold, drink with lots of ice. Delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now