Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need advice/help

(14 Posts)
Cloe2014 Wed 12-Nov-14 18:17:15

Has anyone ever taken medication for sickness ive been prescribed tablets by my gp but very reluctant to take them because of side affects. I'm now not eating anything, loosing weight and feeling very weak I don't know what to do envy

bellaboo88 Wed 12-Nov-14 18:30:06

Which tablets? I had, think it was phenegan, a travel sickness tablet...didn't stop it but it made life easier.

Cloe2014 Wed 12-Nov-14 18:34:21

There called prochlorperazine

muddylettuce Wed 12-Nov-14 18:55:59

Did your GP not explain possible side effects to you? I take cyclazine for hg, not harmful for baby. I am sure it is the same for what you are taking. Go on the hyperemesis thread and ask, I am sure someone there will have knowledge. X

Sarkymare Wed 12-Nov-14 19:04:49

I took an array of anti sickness tablets whilst I was pregnant. No bad side effects for me. If the side effects outweigh the benefits then the doctor wouldn't have prescribed them to you.

Sarkymare Wed 12-Nov-14 19:06:37

Forgot to add. I would take the tablets if I was you. Whilst the baby will be doing perfectly fine even with the lack of food you are consuming, it would be better for both of you if you could get the sickness under control.

basgetti Wed 12-Nov-14 19:10:12

I've taken every anti-emetic going during this pregnancy and haven't managed to come off them at all, despite now being over 34 weeks. Your prescription (known as stemetil) is one of the drugs recommended by Pregnancy Sickness Support and I've been given it in hospital quite a few times including by injection. The Hyperemesis thread has lots of info about meds but try not to worry. It sounds like you really need them.

Purplefrogshoes Wed 12-Nov-14 19:11:49

I have been prescribed those too but I haven't taken them yet as I can keep down water and eat cornflakes but it's utterly miserable. If you can't eat or drink anything you should take them, starvation is not good for you or the baby

Cloe2014 Wed 12-Nov-14 21:55:19

I'm managing to drink but can't stomach food just constantly feel sick . I misscarried last year n now petrified of doing anything wrong. Thanks for all your comments it has put my mind at ease. I think it's worse reading the instruction leaflets and then googling it just put me right off taking them blush

Purplefrogshoes Wed 12-Nov-14 22:52:11

I completely understand that as I have had 3 mc and it's fear stopping me take mine sad but if my sickness gets worse I will take them! I know a few people who have taken them and now have healthy babies. I hope you feel better

DrBlondie Thu 13-Nov-14 00:49:22

Just wanted to say I've had hyperemesis and took those. They are considered completely baby safe. I'd recommend start taking them sooner as they're more effective that way and, unfortunately, don't start working immediately. It's horrible and scary, I know, but it's better for baby if you can eat and this drug should, hopefully, help with that. flowers

Cloe2014 Fri 14-Nov-14 13:53:37

Got a scan in the morning been up all night in pain confused

Rumplestrumpet Fri 14-Nov-14 13:59:49

I hope you're feeling better Cloe. How was the scan? Have you tried talking to your GP about your anxiety? It's perfectly natural given your experience, and he/she should take the time to answer any questions you have. We can be experts in everything - nor should we rely on Dr Google (we KNOW it's nonsense). That's why the medical professionals are there to guide us. It's important you and the baby get the nutrients you need, and it's important you are getting the reassurance you need.

Rumplestrumpet Fri 14-Nov-14 14:00:36

(sorry, that should read we can't be experts in everything)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now