Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Been called in to discuss my blood test! Panicking

(19 Posts)
Olive1987 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:20:08

I've just received a letter from the doctor surgery to make an appointment with them to discuss my blood test.
I'm really worried somthing is wrong!!! She told me at the time that If all is good I won't hear from them until my 16 week appointment.
I'm not 16 weeks yet.
I'm really panicking.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 12-Nov-14 09:36:40

If it was anything bad they would have telephoned and had you straight in not written to you. Likely to be something simple like iron stores are a little low.

tiggy2610 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:37:03

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice as I haven't experienced this, but what I will say is that if it was something serious they wouldn't send a letter and wait for you to make an appointment. They would be more likely to call you and arrange to see you ASAP if it was a major concern.

Was this bloods that were taken at your booking in appointment? They might want to discuss blood type (positives need a little more care), you may be slightly anaemic, etc...

If give your midwife a ring and just explain this letter has caused a bit of a panic and I'm sure she'll be able to out your mind at risk smile

Gudgyx Wed 12-Nov-14 10:15:04

I got this and it was because I was anaemic, some iron supplements prescribed and it was fine. Try not to panic xx

PricklyPickle Wed 12-Nov-14 10:21:02

I had this, it was because my white blood count was low. I had a cold at the time my bloods were taken, which caused it. When i saw the doctor he just asked me if i felt ok now, congratulated me on my pregnancy and sent me on my way. Nothing at all to worry about. smile

cakedcrusader Wed 12-Nov-14 10:27:03

The same thing happened to me and it was because I was anaemic. The doctor gave me a prescription for iron tablets and sent me on my way, it really was nothing to worry about although I was worried that they didn't just say that in the letter! As someone else said if it was anything serious they would have called you straight in.

Dizzylizzie29 Wed 12-Nov-14 10:42:16

I had this because I wasn't immune to rubella x and second time for low iron

Pulledapart Wed 12-Nov-14 10:48:14

Yes agree with the others who have said it's most likely anaemia (low iron levels) I had the same with my daughter. Please try not to panic as if it was something serious they would have called you flowers

Dontstepinthecowpat Wed 12-Nov-14 10:59:35

I had this and it was to discuss the amount of alcohol I was drinking shock as I was 13 weeks pregnant is was nil. I had been on antibiotics a few weeks previously that had effected my liver test result. One very red faced GP.

Babiecakes11 Wed 12-Nov-14 11:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumwithanipad Wed 12-Nov-14 11:20:12

Same here, it was for anaemia. I phoned surgery and the receptionist had the triage nurse ring me, I was told over the phone and a prescription sent to chemists to collect an hour later.

It's easy to say but try not to worry too much.

Olive1987 Wed 12-Nov-14 13:14:29

Ok this has calmed me down a bit, I'm worried it's somthing to do with the Down's syndrome test though.

harrowgreen Wed 12-Nov-14 13:34:36

DS test results come from the hospital don't they?

And if your risk is classed as high you get a phone call, or at least you did at my hospital. Letters go out if your risk is classed as low.

Olive1987 Fri 14-Nov-14 10:30:02

Thanks everyone, it probably is low iron. When I had the blood test I was feeling my worse so wasn't getting much food. I had the Down's syndrome letter through from the hospital this morning, it's low risk so is obviously unrelated to that

Simile Fri 14-Nov-14 10:39:10

Do you know your blood group? Could also be that you're rhesus negative, which just means you get an extra jab or two in case your baby is rhesus positive. (Won't harm this baby but the jab will protect the next one)

rebelfor Fri 14-Nov-14 10:44:24

I had this too, the cause was low iron and anaemia.

I was also given folic acid to take too (I'm 34 weeks), has anyone else had to take iron tablets AND folic acid?

Olive1987 Fri 14-Nov-14 14:15:15

Yes I'm 0+ so doubtful it's about that. I called to make an appt and they can't see me till 2 weeks! So can't be that important.

isambardo Fri 14-Nov-14 15:04:35

Call your midwife, she will be able to look up on the system why they need to see you, just to put your mind at ease.

CherryLips1980 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:37:48

I had it too, mine rang me on the Monday but wouldn't discuss why I had to go back over the phone and I had to go in on the Thursday (I posted at the time in panic). Turns out my platelet level was high but it was presumed that it was the fact I'm on Aspirin which sent it up. Same thing happened when I was pregnant with DD.

Had to have repeat bloods and no one has said anything this time so presume all is still fine. Fingers crossed for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now