Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Top and tale bowl, are they necessary?

(21 Posts)
saiyme09 Tue 11-Nov-14 17:25:48

That's it really also what do you use them for? I'm apparently a little clueless at baby bath time requiremts!

Thurlow Tue 11-Nov-14 17:27:39

Apparently they are so you don't wash the baby's face with the same water you've just washed their bum with.

I never got them either. I just washed the face first and remembered not to put bum water there.

WipsGlitter Tue 11-Nov-14 17:28:02

I used mine. It keeps that water for top (face) and tail (bum) separate. So you don't give them a full bath just a wipe down until you realise wipes won't kill your baby and start using them

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 11-Nov-14 17:30:27

I didn't have one just used a little plastic bowl I had in the kitchen for bottom changes/cleaning, only used it for a week or so before moving on to wipes in between bath times, or would just use a flannel for top and tail quick morning wash. I had a separate flannel for baby's face but didn't bother with a bowl, I would just rinse the flannel in the sink.

Not sure if having had the bowl would have been easier or not, I didn't really think about it at the time.

katandkits Tue 11-Nov-14 17:32:14

Not necessary just use any old bowl and wash face first arse last.

I did with my first I was one of these mothers that used only cotton wool and cooled boiled water, OMG I was so naive!

2nd time I used some random bowl it was much easier than using wipes in earlier days and DS hated bath time

saiyme09 Tue 11-Nov-14 17:42:03

Hmmmmm getting arse and face water mixed up does seem a bit grim! I'm going to try and avoid wipes for few weeks but then this is my first...im sure maybe after a few weeks in ill be clutching the wet wipes desperately!

Honeybear30 Tue 11-Nov-14 17:46:25

My DS is 9 weeks and I still use cotton wool and water at home, but wipes when out. He had a horrible rash when I used wipes all the time, I felt awful! I did buy a top and tail bowl but there was no point. I stuck him in the bath after a week with DH, just plain water and he was all clean smile and you know that bloody awful sports direct mug that everyone has at the back of their cupboard (or is that just me?!)? I finally have a use for it, it lives next to the change mat for nappy changes. Fresh water each morning. Job done.

Artandco Tue 11-Nov-14 17:51:36

I used ours loads. We used reusable nappies so I would put water in own side, and dirty nappy folded over in the other side whilst I finished cleaning baby. Could then put baby somewhere safe and go and sort out nappy

saiyme09 Tue 11-Nov-14 18:40:47

Thanks ladies this has enlightened me somewhat!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 19:49:15

No. A solution without a problem. Just do bum last!

upduffedsecret Wed 12-Nov-14 14:25:08

never used mine. took a tub with a lid to use with water and cotton wool for in the hospital. it's in the attic somewhere, no-one even wanted it given to them!

ToniWol Wed 12-Nov-14 17:56:35

Oooh - that's an idea Artandco. We're planning on moving into reusables and picked up a top and tail bowl with a bath at a nearly new sale.

NancyJones Wed 12-Nov-14 18:01:01

As pp has said, it's a non issue if you just do face first then bum. Silly waste if money IMO but then the love the bath so no2 was in there at 2days old anyway.

starfishmummy Wed 12-Nov-14 18:04:49

We were gjven one. It was useful for keeping nappy change stuff together but wasn't used as the makers intended

LetticeKnollys Wed 12-Nov-14 18:06:54

I just plonk DS in a sink full of warm water, it must be because I am a Bad Mother. wink

Honeybear have you tried Waterwipes? DS has never had any rashes with them but he has with Johnson's products, they're just water cotton with a tiny bit of fruit extract, and much easier than cotton wool! smile

Honeybear30 Wed 12-Nov-14 19:50:40

I did have some water wipes to start with, and they were fine (I had some free samples). It was the dreaded johnsons that set him off! I'm happy with cotton wool and water at home (I'm not sure which is cheaper though, the cotton wool or the water wipes?) and when we're out I use huggies pure which seem to be fine.

birdofthenorth Thu 13-Nov-14 13:41:43

No, wholly unnecessary.

RiverTam Thu 13-Nov-14 13:45:38

I found mine very handy, didn't cost much and I bunged it in the plastics recycling when I didn't need it anymore. I know MN is All About not having this kind of kit, but a lot of it is actually quite handy!

PacificDogwood Thu 13-Nov-14 13:48:09

Utterly unnecessary.
"Bum last" solves this non-problem.
I had top+tail bowls and they just got in the way.

We do have a rather perfect baby bath sized kitchen sink though...

Mrsantithetic Thu 13-Nov-14 13:52:31

Dd uses hers for painting. Brushes in one side, water in the other - harder to knock over grin

Before it was a paint pot I've used it to store nail varnish and cotton wool.

Used for cleaning windows etx

Never used it for it's designed use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now