Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Leaving with my baby?

(26 Posts)
joflores Tue 11-Nov-14 16:17:41

So myself and my OH have brought a britax dualfix car seat, ( it's fixed in to the car and to the ISOfix base ).

I've been told that you must take a car seat up to the ward to be able to leave with baby ... How can I do this ?
Will the MW come down to my car to check ? Can I push her in her pram out the ward ?

It wouldn't be safe to carry her in the car seat as it's not designed for that, anyone else have this dilemma ?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 16:56:48

Just tell them it's a fixed car seat! Honestly, they cannot stop you leaving with the baby, they just don't want you to drop her on the stairs (particularly if you get a dizzy spell, which is common). Why doesn't your partner just bring a sling to the ward and carry the baby?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 16:57:28

I wouldn't take a pram onto the ward if you can help it - not much space.smile

Shedding Tue 11-Nov-14 17:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cheesecakemom Tue 11-Nov-14 17:33:29

I've seen mw walk baby and mum to car - with cot. I think you will be fine and if you do take the pram you'll be in there a few minutes

NovemberRainbow Tue 11-Nov-14 20:24:27

I've asked my midwife this exact question (we've also got the Britax), she said that under no circumstances would they let me leave without a carry car seat. She said I either had to buy one or borrow one.

I guess they couldn't actually physically stop you leaving with your baby, but we didn't want the hassle of an argument with them. Luckily we can borrow one of a friend for the journey.

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Tue 11-Nov-14 20:42:21

With my eldest, a midwife carried him out to the car and put him in, but this was after I specifically said we were leaving by my FIL's car and that he had bought a car seat and my partner said that FIL was waiting outside for us. So, at least ten years ago, they would go out.

With my youngest two, I was handed discharge papers and walked out carrying them out in a sling and no one said a word. We returned home by public transport with them and don't own a car or a car seat.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 20:48:20

"I've asked my midwife this exact question (we've also got the Britax), she said that under no circumstances would they let me leave without a carry car seat. She said I either had to buy one or borrow one."

Your midwife is trying to scare you into doing what she wants. They have absolutely no legal right to prevent you leaving the hospital without a car seat. Especially if you've said that there is one fitted into the car (and, I suppose, been nice if they ask to look) as there is no child protection issue.

I absolutely hate any HCP using the word 'allowed'.

Didyouevah Tue 11-Nov-14 20:53:41

Yeah I agree. What if you always used public transport? That's just bizarre.

Personally I'd bring the pushchair up. It's not actually that comfy carrying a baby car seat. Makes you all lopsided.

Only1scoop Tue 11-Nov-14 20:55:18

Tell them it's fixed....my mw came down to car to see dd safe and ready to go.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 21:02:51

Didyou - Not sure all wards will let you bring the buggy into the ward because of space issues. Agree car seats are a PITA to carry though.

Didyouevah Tue 11-Nov-14 21:06:05

On our ward just for collecting it was allowed. Might have changed though?

I'd go for the sling then!

LetticeKnollys Tue 11-Nov-14 21:12:48

I heard it was a myth, but maybe in some areas they make a fuss about it. Certainly when we left with DS 6 weeks ago no one checked to make sure that we weren't taking him away riding on a donkey. As penguins said, they have no right to detain your child unless there is a serious child protection issue, and they can only stop you going home if you are sectioned under the mental health act wish I'd known this before they told me I wasn't allowed to leave their awful ward.

Trunkisareshite Tue 11-Nov-14 21:16:03

I'm with penguin, they can't stop you leaving, absolutely no powers to do so. If they ask you say 'car seat is fixed in the car, we are carrying baby out, you are welcome to walk to the car with us to say good bye'. End of conversation.

callamia Tue 11-Nov-14 21:17:37

I walked home.
I live a ten min walk from the hospital, and we don't have a car. No one on the ward asked how we were getting home, and no one cared that we'd brought a pram in.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 21:19:06

Lettice - See the one about me I did know, and put to good use. We told the that we were going, and suddenly "you have to stay in overnight" turned into "would you mind waiting whilst I get a paed to sign off on your baby". Home that night. I don't think I have ever loved my DH more than when he reminded me of that one.

cathpip Tue 11-Nov-14 21:28:17

We have a fixed car seat, a midwife has never accompanied me to the car and I have left the hospital ward carrying all three of my children (sections with all three).

LetticeKnollys Tue 11-Nov-14 21:41:37

Ah Penguin I was also kept in for box ticking reasons when I desperately wanted to go home, it won't be happening again if I have another. [humpth]

Acorncat Wed 12-Nov-14 02:33:48

I have the dualfix too, they asked if I had a car seat and I just told them it was fixed in car. They let us walk out precariously carrying a 12 hour baby at half 10 at night, no bother.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 12-Nov-14 07:59:56

I had a fixed car seat for ds and the midwife insisted she had to carry him to the car. No one ever said we needed a car seat that could be carried.

HaroldLloyd Wed 12-Nov-14 08:01:03

Just meet someone at the ward with a pram or sling etc when your leaving, it will be fine.

Mamab33 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:07:37

DH brought the pram up and we left with DC in it as we also have a fixed car seat. No questions asked. smile

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 12-Nov-14 08:07:38

Honestly, midwives aren't allowed to insist in carrying your baby, or inspecting your car seat, or any of these other ridiculous rules.
You can sign yourself and your baby out against medical advice if you insist (not advisable though really) but inspecting your transport methods isn't a medical issue. Nobody is allowed to insist on anything, where is the legal remit for this? It don't exist.

HumptyDumptyBumpty Wed 12-Nov-14 08:34:47

No one asked, or gave a shit - much like the rest of my time in that dump. I think I'd have been a bit hmm if a midwife had implied that at 34 years old, I needed to be supervised putting my baby in her car seat.
Probably depends on your hospital. I didn't say goodbye to a single one of those fucking bitches anyone, so perhaps that's why I didn't get patronised about my travel arrangements.

Babiecakes11 Wed 12-Nov-14 11:26:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now