Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My Dd is pregnant and feels so sick all day.

(20 Posts)
kansasmum Mon 10-Nov-14 22:26:39

My dd is pregnant and feels so sick. GP has prescribed Avomine once a day but dd doesn't feel it's doing much. She's been in tears tonight - feels sick all day. She's been off work for 2 weeks but going back tmw- I think this is worrying her. Has only been in job a few weeks when she found out she was pregnant. She didn't know if she would be able to ever have kids due to major surgery aged 10. So she's pleased about the baby but feeling too ill to be excited. She said she just feels numb and can't get excited about the baby or her wedding which is in just over a month.
I had HG when pregnant with her so can sympathise but can't DO anything for her!
Had my last dc 7 years ago and breezed through that pregnancy.

Anyone else feel unexcited during early weeks of pregnancy? I have tried to reassure her things will improve but she can't see it at the moment. She's nearly 10 weeks along.

SpanielFace Mon 10-Nov-14 22:34:26

Yes. I was too shocked and sick to feel excited at that point, until much further along - maybe 20 weeks plus, when the nausea had mostly gone and I started feeling DS kicking. It didn't really feel real, even after the scans, until I started to feel him move. Sympathies to your DD, the first trimester is by far the worse part of pregnancy. I hope it passes quickly for her!

Smileysar1 Mon 10-Nov-14 22:40:27

Hi. I can entirely empathise. Could never understand why they call it morning sickness it lasted all day and night for me! Then a switch seemed to click at 13wks and it disappeared. I found eating little and often, drinking ginger tea and sipping sparkling water all helped me. It doesn't last forever it just feels like it at the time. Congrats on being a grandmummy wishing your daughter all the best smile

ToriB34 Mon 10-Nov-14 22:52:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsFlorrick Mon 10-Nov-14 23:00:04

I had this with DC2. Ugh. Horrible and constant. I didn't vomit not once but felt constantly sick.

Oddly I found junk food helped. Things like hoola hoops (beef flavour) were good.
Anything ginger was blurgh.
The junk food/hoola hoops only worked while I ate them
And for a short while after but it would be 20/30mins of relief from it which was better than nothing.

With DC1 I didn't feel sick at all. Not even once.
And my DM had HG with all DC.

Also specifically McDonald's chicken nuggets helped.

Sorry I shouldn't be recommending junk food but it was the only thing which gave temporary relief.

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Nov-14 23:01:02

Yep, I had 2 hideous HG pg. avomine made me worse! I was off work for 8 weeks both pg. I hope your dd and her employer know that ph related illness can not count against you re: work record.

This website may be useful Pregnancy Sickness Sipport.

MrsFlorrick Mon 10-Nov-14 23:03:31

Btw. I hate junk food and I don't eat crisps. Only whilst pregnant with DC2.

kansasmum Mon 10-Nov-14 23:04:10

I'm sorry you're all suffering too but relieved her feelings aren't that unusual.
I just feel sad for her that she can't get excited about her wedding cos of the constant nausea. She is not being sick very often thank goodness but brushing her teeth makes her heave, poor girl.
She has 1st midwife appt on Weds so that may bring helpful suggestions.
Hoping she will cope back at work tomorrow. I know she's worried about her job as she's not been there long and has said she feels bad for almost immediately falling pregnant but that's just the way it is!
Roll on 2nd trimester!

kansasmum Mon 10-Nov-14 23:09:01

Mrsflorrick- Macdonalds is the one thing she has fancied to eat funnily enough. Her poor fiancé keeps having to collect nuggets and chips on his way home from work!! That and choc digestives! Said whilst sobbing tonight that she feels guilty for eating crap and the baby won't grow properly! I told her i lived on rich tea biscuits and 7Up when I was pg with her for first trimester and she turned out to be a 9lb 3oz bundle of joy!!!

MrsFlorrick Mon 10-Nov-14 23:32:14

With DD, my first, I didn't feel sick and I ate well. And craved only healthy things and cake. grin

My poor DS however all I could face was crap. Nuggets, beef flavour hoola hoops and later on (after 20 weeks) Big Mac etc. awful really.
If it helps both were more or less same size at birth and BF fine and are both healthy.

I felt guilty too. Tell your DD it's ok. Survival. That constant nausea is beyond awful. It's exhausting and it wears you down.
Anything for a little short term relief.

Oh do tell her to try cucumber and carrot sticks with dips. I loved guacamole and hummus. Healthier than mcd and crisps.

pintsizeprincess Tue 11-Nov-14 08:31:29

I'm 12 weeks with dc2 and touch wood seem to just be turning a corner with the constant nausea. I didn't have it all with my dd so I seem to have made up for it this time! junk food, mcdonalds especially nuggets helped me too and any salty things. Your daughter may have already tried this but i found that wearing travel sickness bands really helped me. some days better than others but at least they gave some temporary relief from the awful nausea. Hope she gets some relief from it soon.

Greenrememberedhills Tue 11-Nov-14 08:40:16

Congratulations.

I used to get this. I agree that little and often helps and also noticed that baked potato helped. Other wetter carbohydrate did not help.Dry cake helps eg those old fashioned ice buns, but it's fattening.

kahori Tue 11-Nov-14 08:44:54

Tiredness and hunger make it worse so plenty of rest and even if she doesn't feel like it, it is important to eat little and often. Dry foods helped me. I always had a supply of crackers and rice cakes with me as an empty stomach caused me to actually be sick rather than just feeling nauseated.

Foxeym Tue 11-Nov-14 08:51:43

I had terrible ms 16 years ago with DC1 and doctors just weren't interested then and I couldn't even get signed off work, it was terrible, sick the whole way through. DC2 wasn't as bad, it went a lot earlier. I had DC3 last year and again wasn't as bad, sick in the beginning but felt a lot better by 13 weeks. It can get you down, I remember vowing never to have any more after DC1 but that didn't happen. The end result makes it all worthwhile. Hope she feels better soon

Greyhound Tue 11-Nov-14 08:56:01

I really feel for her - I had constant nausea for both first and second trimester.

I would have found it hard to look forward to a wedding as well.

I found eating something with wheatgerm in it every hour helped a bit.

TheBooMonster Tue 11-Nov-14 08:58:19

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and still suffering from sickness, though it's drastically reduced compared to a couple of months ago. I was given something to take three times a day can't remember the name off the top of my head think it's something like cyclohexine hydrochloride? And it worked wonders, though I generally only take 1 or 2, else it knocks me out with drowsiness. It's frustrating being so sick but get your DD to keep a food diary, it will really help her work out what her triggers are, and what foods are safe(ish) to eat.

annoyedofnorwich Tue 11-Nov-14 10:51:28

Get her to try travel sickness bands, acupuncture and sucking on sour haribo!

dietcokeisgreat Tue 11-Nov-14 11:57:55

I am 9wks and feeling very nauseous most of the time. I'm finding only eating regularly helps. I am vegetarian, recovered (mostly) from anorexia and generally eat little to no bad for you foods and tons of fruit/veg. The last month I have been eating vast quantities of toast with butter, pizza, crisps and other general junk food. Very out of character but it seems to be the only way I can cope! It should reduce by the 2nd trimester. I have put on some weight but am resigned to the fact now it is basically the only way I can keep going. Hope your DD feels better soon. COuld ask the GP to try another antiemetic like cyclizine instead?

GooseRoasties Tue 11-Nov-14 12:26:03

When I found out I was pregnant, I was terrified.. I cried for 3 days straight due to the sickness, tiredness and shock. I too hadn't been in my job very long and I think I made myself sicker worrying about it. Having a baby is the most worrying, life changing moment in a woman's life, it can take a few weeks or months to adjust. I didn't get excited about the baby until about 20 weeks and even then I'm still pooping myself over the fear of becoming a new mum (im 35 weeks now) and go through the odd phases of just fear and lack of excitement. But it does help to know there are others like me, who do feel numb sometimes and it does bring relief.

For my sickness, which I had terribly until 23 weeks, I ate what I fancied. If I wanted a biscuit I had it. I did eat a lot of fruit and salad when alone and my main cooked meals where made for me and put down in front of me as I hid from the cooking smells. I drank gallons of ginger tea, ate thousands of soft mints and took each day as it came. 'Morning' sickness is the worst, so she has my full sympathy!

Seeline Tue 11-Nov-14 12:45:43

I felt sick 24/1 and could throw up with little or no warning up to 10 times in any 24 period. It was horrendous. I was signed off work for nearly 3 months as I could barely leave my bed. I survived mainly on dry rice crispies - DS turns 13 at the end of the month so it didn't do him any harm. I felt no excitement at all about the forthcoming baby. It got better after about 16 weeks, and was virtually gone by 20. I was beginning to feel stronger and look forward to the baby when I caught whooping cough - not ideal!! How I was ready for DSs arrival I don't know. As soon as he was born though, I was able to carry on as I am sure others who have relatively straight forward pgs do.
With my second pg I demanded meds - the GP gave me Phenergan which really worked. The nausea was gone and I was only sick a few times. It did make me very drowsy though.
I think your DD should go back to the GP and see f she can get some different meds. there others, and hopefully one will work. She has my sympathies - it is horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now