Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

i didn't get a scan photo because the machine was broken

(67 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ella252014 Mon 10-Nov-14 17:33:19

I couldn't believe it i went to my 12 weeks scan and i was all excited as it my first pregnancy, went in the ultrasound room and saw my lil bubba hear the heartbeat. I asked the lady if i can have a photo as she was about to print it the printer wouldn't work. so i went home empty handed, it did upset me but you think with all the money there NHS get cant they update or check there machine.

has anyone had the same problem as me?

TheDowagerDuchessOfDinglyDell Mon 10-Nov-14 17:35:57

Oh dear lord really? Seriously?

all that spare NHS money floating around? Really?

It's a medical screening test not a bloody photo opportunity.

beebop100 Mon 10-Nov-14 17:37:12

"All the money the NHS gets"? With the current state of the NHS, a printer is probably not their priority. Photos are nice, but the purpose of scans is clinical. I'm glad your baby is healthy.

mollypollly Mon 10-Nov-14 17:37:32

The NHS is in debt by something like £23 billion so that comment is rather naive.

I understand why you were upset, but why not focus on the positives-you found out today that you have a lovely healthy baby on the way!

ella252014 Mon 10-Nov-14 17:38:36

Its make you think where does that NHS money go to.
Yes seriously didnt get no photo and everyone was looking forward to seeing a picture i guess i have to wait for my 20week scan

mollypollly Mon 10-Nov-14 17:39:32

Wow, I'm actually lost for words...

ella252014 Mon 10-Nov-14 17:40:19

dont get me wrong i was very happy that i heard the heartbeat but when it your first pregnancy and you want to go home and show everyone it abit of a let down.

TheDowagerDuchessOfDinglyDell Mon 10-Nov-14 17:40:31

Um. Have you read or heard any NHS related news recently?

AlpacaYourThings Mon 10-Nov-14 17:41:03

Seriously?! hmm

FFS, OP get some perspective.

Pay for a private scan if you want the photo that much!

JubJubBirds Mon 10-Nov-14 17:41:31

'with all the money there NHS get'

I'm sure they will fix the printer at some point but your comment is a bit shocking!

I'm sorry you didn't get to take a photo home though. At your next scan ask if you can take one of the screen on your phone if it's still not fixed.

mcdog Mon 10-Nov-14 17:42:27

God almighty, I had to tell a family in crisis today that mental health services no longer deemed their daughter appropriate for treatment due to budget cuts. And you are worried about a bloody scan photo!!!!

SauvignonBlanche Mon 10-Nov-14 17:43:06

Its make you think where does that NHS money go to

Saving lives perhaps? hmm

JubJubBirds Mon 10-Nov-14 17:43:09

'Its make you think where does that NHS money go to'

Really?! ...hmm

SeattleGraceMercyDeath Mon 10-Nov-14 17:43:32

'Makes you wonder where all the money goes' probably on frivolous items. Like staff to operate the machinery that saves lives.

Andcake Mon 10-Nov-14 17:43:42

Hmm can understand why you're a bit miffed but think of the poor ladies today who went home having bad news. The money Nhs comment is appalling - do you have any political awareness

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 10-Nov-14 17:45:09

Disappointing but the purpose of a scan is to check the babies health. A photo is just a nice added bonus. However grips are free so please take as many as you like.

TheDowagerDuchessOfDinglyDell Mon 10-Nov-14 17:46:13

Gin. That's what all there NHS money goes on. And biscuits.

browneyedgirly Mon 10-Nov-14 17:48:28

Just to echo others' comments... I'm bewildered by your comment. Do you realise how lucky we are to have access to universal 'free' healthcare? To be able to have a scan to check that your baby is - and you are - healthy is an absolutely privilege and not a god-given right.

I'm pleased that everything went well for you today, but not getting a picture is not the end of the world. Most 12 week scan pics are, at best, a fuzzy B&W image of some sort of misshapen bean anyway!!

WhereTheWildlingsAre Mon 10-Nov-14 17:52:42

I also think you are missing the whole point of what the NHS is actually there for.

snala Mon 10-Nov-14 17:52:47

When you've finished your 'free' pregnancy and have given birth using 'free' resources/pain relief/ midwife/doc/bed/food etc have a think about where all the money goes!!!! wink

magpiegin Mon 10-Nov-14 17:54:04

Lost for words. Pay for private scan if you're desperate for a picture.

Surely all that matters is the baby looks healthy?

Do you really believe the NHS is rolling in money?

Fixerupperz Mon 10-Nov-14 17:56:43

I understand it was probably disappointing OP but you could go for a private scan if you want photos, there are some good deals out there.

BitchPeas Mon 10-Nov-14 17:57:49

Just be glad you had no bad news.

I understand your disappointment, but if a photo is really important to you then a private scan is not that expensive.

And get some political awareness! The average birth cost roughly £10k I think, and there is one baby born every minute in the uk. Work it out!!

Fifibluebell Mon 10-Nov-14 18:01:28

Yes I often wonder where ALL that money goes, they should prioritise printed pictures of a grey baked bean over sick and injured people it's really not on!!

tiggy2610 Mon 10-Nov-14 18:03:52

Last week SIL attended her 12 weeks scan to be told there baby had died.

It's unfortunate you didn't get a photo but you do have a healthy baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now