Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First baby no idea what im entitled to

(14 Posts)
Lea2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 15:20:21

Im currently 18weeks pregnant and due to go on maternity leave 31/03/15. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what i am entitled to money wise? My company only offer standard maternity which has disheartned me after 13 year working here. I really feel like not coming back after the baby is born. Can anyone tell me when i can start claiming tax credits? Or a better idea of what i can claim to live on being a single mother? Im worrying so much i have savings but they wont last forever

foxyfemke Mon 10-Nov-14 15:27:19

This link here has quite a bit of information and you can calculate as well what and how much you're entitled to in terms of benefits:

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/overview

Lea2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 15:49:03

Thank you foxyfemke tried some calculator earlier got right to the end and said i was entitled to �0.00 such a stressfull time

Rockchick1984 Mon 10-Nov-14 15:53:41

What's your salary and how long are you planning on being off?

Lea2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:01:17

Rockchick1984 - Im currently paid �1359.00 per month after taxes, i have not got a clue ive cried all day just worried sick if i dont return to work if i would even be entitled to anything sad Ive worked since leaving school and im now 29 this is all new to me

Lea2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:02:03

I planned on taking 6month off but dont think im going to return to work

Bondy83 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:13:28

You'll be able to claim tax credits as soon as the baby is born they will ask for your income 14/15 &also take into account you'll only be receiving smp. If you decide not to return to work you'll then be entitled to income support after smp finishes. You'll also get child benefit which isn't income tested ie everyone gets the same. After your 29wks you may or may not be entitled to the sure start maternity grant (£500) it's worth applying for they can only say no. If you rent at the minute you may also be entitled to some housing benefit to help towards your rent regardless of whether you go back to work or not.

Lea2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:16:31

Thanks bondy83 for your reply, so there is things i can claim if i decide i dont want to return to work? Up until today i was returning and my parents were going to watch the baby however i feel so gutted by what my work have done i dont want to return and im willing to take a cut in my monthly income as long as i can get a little help

DuelingFanjo Mon 10-Nov-14 16:19:59

If you willingly give up your job I don't think there are benefits you can immediately claim apart from child benefit which is about £80 a month.

Are you on your own? if you have a partner then it would depend on what he is earning.

Heels99 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:26:32

Think carefully befor giving up a job especially when you have free childcare arranged. If your reason for not returning to work is because you are cross that they only offer staturtory maternity pay you could be making a decision for all the wrong reasons. Many employers only offer statutory it is the norm. Enhanced maternity is common but not the norm. People don't usually choose not to return to work after mat leave just because they only got stat pay. If money is an issue now you can bet it would be worse being on benefits.

Good luck to you

Bondy83 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:37:27

Many companies only offer smp ( I also work for a big company who only offers smp). Don't make decisions just yet wait til you've had the baby and see how you feel you may want to return part time in which case you'll still be entitled to tax credits and they will also help out with child care fees if you decide to put the baby in nursery for a day or 2. Income support is only around £140 a fortnight child benefit £20 a week plus tax credits on top of maybe £100 a week so it's not alot. You must like/be good at your job if you've been there 13yrs they have to try to accommodate any hours/shifts you ask to do on your return. Consider going back doing 16hrs ( to make you eligible for working tax credits &help towards childcare) it keeps your foot in the door with your employer and it'll be easier for your existing employer to accommodate hours and days you can do rather than asking a new employer to accommodate you when there could be other potential employees that maybe more flexible than you are. It's natural to worry about money before you have a baby but somehow you'll find you'll manage.

Lea2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:45:23

My decission isnt totally based on them only offering smp there has been a new manager brought in and the company is just changing on a whole i have been unhappy here for a good while now. Thanks everyone for your replies its been a stressful time due to other issue also

PurpleSwift Mon 10-Nov-14 16:55:00

You can claim income support which as pp is only £140 a fortnight. Child benefit being £20 a week

PurpleSwift Mon 10-Nov-14 16:58:45

If you rent you could claim some housing benefit. You won't be entitled to the sure start maternity grant due to your smp and you can only apply for income support once you're finished claiming your smp.
Honestly with that wage I'd try and suck it up and give it a go at going back at least to see how you fond it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now