Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carbon monoxide test reading of 6 at booking appointment

(30 Posts)
boatrace30 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:43:51

Hi,
I had my booking appointment today, I did the routine CO test, not even really thinking about it. I have never ever smoked and nor does my husband. My reading came up as a 6! I felt a bit like the midwife thought I was lying!The boiler has been recently serviced, so that shouldn't be an issue. We do live near a main road though. Has anyone else had a similar reading despite not smoking and should I be worried?
Thanks!

SpringtimeSun Mon 10-Nov-14 12:51:25

It was my boiler that caused my.high readings....,if there is no other reason you can think of it may be worth getting it serviced again......my boiler was really bad blush

Gudgyx Mon 10-Nov-14 12:55:10

Dont worry about that at all. I'm an ex-smoker and this was monitored every week at my checkups when I stopped.

Lots of thing can effect this reading. Living next to a main road defo will. I used to be raging when I got stuck in traffic the morning my reading was getting took as it always made it higher! Exhaust fumes etc will effect it

boatrace30 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:20:19

Thanks - I think I will get a digital monitor so I can work out what the CO level is in the house and if it is worse at rush hour (the road was really busy this morning just before my test) - will also get the boiler re-done too!

Princessdeb Mon 10-Nov-14 13:49:29

Dear OP,

Did the midwife discuss the results with you at all? To put it into context the normal reading for a non smoker is below 2.3%, for a moderate smoker up to 4.2% and a heavy smoker 8-9%. These normal ranges are taken from arterial blood gas monitoring so are likely to be very accurate. I would wonder about two things. Firstly if the reading was taken from a finger probe I would wonder if it was reading accurately. Secondly I would definitely get someone out urgently to re-check your boiler. In the mean time you can buy a carbon monoxide detector from any DIY store. It acts like a smoke alarm and s very easy to fit.

Gunpowder Mon 10-Nov-14 14:02:58

Could it be your cooker or a gas fire/ gas or water heater? If you have an open fire could your chimney be blocked?

boatrace30 Mon 10-Nov-14 14:09:56

Thanks for your reply Princessdeb. It was just a breath test - not a blood test. There was little discussion of the results. She said I would probably get a follow up phone call, but that it could be "environmental factors". I will get a plumber out asap to check the boiler. Gunpowder - we do have a gas cooker and boiler but no fires of any kind so it can't be that.
Thanks for all the advice!

ToriB34 Mon 10-Nov-14 14:26:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 10-Nov-14 17:16:09

It'll be the traffic pollution. I had mine checked when I quit smoking and it never went down very low, because I walked along a main road to get to the group where it was being tested! It's infuriating. Get a carbon monoxide monitor if it puts your mind at ease, but try not to worry.

divingoffthebalcony Mon 10-Nov-14 20:45:15

I'm a non smoker and I did the CO breath test. Presumably to check I wasn't lying, which is fair enough wink

September60b Mon 10-Nov-14 21:26:27

I had to do this test at my 28 week appointment. Non smoker and I blew a reading of about 4. I work in a city centre and just a short trip out at lunchtime means I end up inhaling lots of second hand smoke no matter how much I try and avoid it (which I do as the smell of smoke really aggravates my sickness!) Even so I was shocked that my reading was so high.

Blaze15 Mon 10-Nov-14 22:05:52

I had my booking appointment last week and got a reading of 12!!!!! I haven't smoked for two months, my partner always smoke outdoors and I have no problems with my car. My partner is a mechanic and looks after the car well. That day I had been working at school all day...so not around smokers. However, we have a wood burner and thought it could be that? Has anyone else got a wood burner and a high score?

Bobbingalongnicelyalmost Mon 10-Nov-14 22:10:42

Blaze15 we have a 2 wood burners but my score was the lowest it could be . I don't remember now but close to 0%. We have carbon monoxide monitors in both rooms and suggest you get the same.

Blaze15 Mon 10-Nov-14 23:22:02

Thanks. We checked our monitor last night and it was ok. We had some windows open. I really don't know what would make it 12? I'm gonna go back to have s re test this week.

Mctier83 Mon 10-Nov-14 23:58:36

I had mine done at my booking appointment last week, before I found out I was pregnant I was smoking 15 a day I've now managed to get down to 2 and mine read 5 she said anything between 1-4 is normally the reading for a non smoker yours does seem pretty high considering it's higher than mine and you don't actually smoke, I live near lots of busy roads too.

junkfoodaddict Tue 11-Nov-14 08:12:45

I was a 3 and told that was the highest reading for a non smoker. We had gas services testing our house, MILs and MILs neighbour (MIL phoned them in a panic much to our embarrassment because we were told not to worry) that same day and everything came back fine! I had just driven to the hospital and had the test within 15 minutes so put it down to that but on thinking I had visited my parents and returned the day before. My mum smokes about 5-10 a day although outside and when out and about, she would ensure the smoke was away from me. But I think I was still carrying some CO in my blood from passive smoking and if you unwittingly pass someone who is smoking or has recently been smoking (research apparently suggests it lingers on our clothes) could account for a higher reading as the probe may be hyper sensitive. Try not to worry.

divingoffthebalcony Tue 11-Nov-14 08:57:04

I'm a no smoker and scored 4 and the midwife said that was fine. Seems like everyone gets told different things.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Tue 11-Nov-14 09:10:51

Tori its become policy in some areas to test everyone now. Presumably to pick up people lying about smoking.

butterfly86 Tue 11-Nov-14 09:57:03

Im a non smoker and scored 1 dh is a smoker and he came to booking appointment the midwife got him to blow and he scored 26! I was disgusted!

WigglyWigglyWoo Tue 11-Nov-14 12:36:48

I had this too. Infact could have been me writing this post OP.

I had a reading of 6 on the breath test at booking appointment. I've never smoked, not has DH. We live in the countryside in the middle of nowhere and I don't work in a smoky environment. We've just had our boiler and aga serviced and we have a CO monitor in the house.

The midwife said not to worry about it but a week later I got a letter from the stop smoking service! I phoned them to tell them there must be some mistake and they were annoyed that the midwife referred me despite the fact that I'm a non smoker.

I suspect her machine was dodgy! I intend to ask her to repeat the test at my 16 week appointment next week. All very frustrating and yet another thing to worry about!

boatrace30 Tue 11-Nov-14 13:20:59

Thanks WigglyWigglyWoo. Like you say - you don't need another thing to worry about, it is frustrating! I'm fully expecting some kind of follow up from it. But like you, will ask to repeat the test. Hope you get an accurate result this time!

abas Tue 11-Nov-14 14:52:07

Please make sure when you get your boiler tested that it is by someone who is Gas Safe Registered. You can ask to look at his card and it shows you exactly what appliances he is allowed to service. Also note that carbon monoxide can come from an adjoining neighbour's premises. Have a look at our youtube video youtu.be/W3aCJ9BBW_s

WigglyWigglyWoo Tue 11-Nov-14 15:37:36

Out of interest which area are you in OP?

boatrace30 Tue 11-Nov-14 15:53:24

Hampshire - but actually come under Wiltshire for maternity services.
Thanks for the advice abas. I am semi-detached, and hadn't thought of that.

montymonty Tue 11-Nov-14 16:41:26

A carbon monoxide test?! I haven't had one of these, and I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant. I kind of want one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now