Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice me please...

(32 Posts)
lupo5 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:04:39

We bought second hand (rarely used and great condition) pram/pushchair. It's a baby elegance pebble,I really like it BUT it didn't come with a rain cover.I find it hard to find one for a pram.Found one on Amazon but I was wandering if I can find one in the high street shop and if anyone knows can I get universal one?
Another thing I am panicking about is,I don't have a car seat. We are not driving for the past two years,will they let us out with a pram from hospital or is car seat mandatory? Also (sorry I am really panicking) how do I know which car seat would fit our chassis?
Thank you so much.I am 38 weeks so I feel little panicky.......flowers

lupo5 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:05:53

Sorry,just realised that I kept repeating word panicking....

Pisghetti Mon 10-Nov-14 11:10:37

How are you planning on getting the baby home? You will need a car seat for taxis/lifts in other people's cars but the pram should be fine if you're planning on taking the bus. A quick google suggests there is a car seat often sold with this pram as part of a travel system so take a look at that perhaps?

lupo5 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:18:02

Thank you.We live 15 min away from hospital and will be getting black cab. Will they let me?I never thought about it being an issue until now.blush
I checked already websites and I can not find anywhere raincover for pram.It's just so difficult that I could cry.I always assumed that items like that are easy to find,but I was wrong....sad

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 10-Nov-14 11:36:18

www.babyelegance.com/products/collection/out-about/Rain%20Covers

Why don't you contact the manufacturer for advice about which raincover will fit?

lupo5 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:42:34

Thank you so much.I will do it now...

TheHermitCrab Mon 10-Nov-14 11:44:08

I don't drive but I bought a "car seat pram" you know, the car seat, with a portable pram frame, as a more important purchase than the big pram.

Will need a car seat for leaving the hospital, and as I don't drive, I don't want to be taking a full travel system with me when using busses and taxis.

So I got the car seat pram as easy to fold down and store method for public transport, and a big pram for the very many long walks I take not being a driver.

Essexgirlupnorth Mon 10-Nov-14 11:53:11

Mothercare/ babies r us may have some in store.
Kiddicare certainly sell generic raincovers.
I have taken my DD in a black taxi in her pram for a short journey and driver was fine with it. Just put it in the back and put the break on. Was a unplanned journey as my gran had a fall and couldn't walk back to the train station to catch our train.

lupo5 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:53:41

Thank you for advice. Not sure now what to do!? I thought that pram (not big) will be ok but does it mean I will have to find car seat too?
I didn't want to buy one thinking I wont need one but now I am really confused what to do sad

lupo5 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:56:59

Thank you essexgirlupnorth-many many years ago (almost 14years ago),I was working for a family and I was using pram everywhere.We were using black cab to go up and down the city and no one ever said a word but somewhere I read that they wont let you out of hospital without car seat. Is that truth? Thank you.

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 11-Nov-14 09:54:37

I'm not sure about the hospital we left with baby in a car seat as we were driving home but sure some people must leave with baby in a pram or sling can you call and ask.

BaffledSomeMore Tue 11-Nov-14 10:00:09

Boots used to do a universal pram raincover.

Sarkymare Tue 11-Nov-14 10:10:07

Lupe if you are putting your baby into a cab then you will need a car seat. It doesn't matter if the drive is 5 minutes or 50. The baby needs to be in a car seat whenever you are in any type of car. This certainly includes taxi's.

Car seats are designed specifically with safety in mind. A pushchair, even with it breaks on, will supply no protection at all if you was to be involved in an accident. In fact I imagine it would be highly dangerous and most definitely result in injury.

lupo5 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:17:16

Thank you for your advices in regards rain cover and pram/car seat.I will go out today to Boots and ToysRUs and check what they have.
Sarkymare,may I ask you-as mentioned earlier on,I used black cabs a lot in the past and never had a problem.They don't have installed base for the car seat.Sorry I got genuinely confused even more or do you mean regardless,baby needs to be in the car seat in the pushchair?Thank you so much.flowers

GailLondon Tue 11-Nov-14 10:17:35

This kind of universal rain cover will be absolutely fine for you.
www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe-Universal-Carrycot-Cover-Large/dp/B000GH3D7Y
Or any of the mothercare/kiddicare equivalents

lupo5 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:19:06

Perfect GailLondon. I will look into that .flowers

Me23 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:31:23

The law states that car seats are not required when travelling in a taxi see here https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat

Also if you will not be using a car then you do not need a car seat to leave the hospital that is ridiculous to assume hospital have the power to make people buy a car seat They will never use. (Btw I'm a midwife and I often hear this myth spouted and have come across parents spending money they can ill afford on car seat they don't need, the hospital has no legal power to enforce this "rule".

wishmynamewasdave Tue 11-Nov-14 10:37:13

Pop baby in a sling for the taxi ride - get a Moby or kari-me type stretchy sling, perfect for a newborn.

I took an emergency taxi ride with my three year old and 11 month old yesterday - no car seats, checked with taxi company and they told me it's legal. We are fine... but I wouldn't do it as a general mode of transport.

lupo5 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:43:28

Thank you Me23. I really do appreciate your reply.I thought that but when I read or heard different stories I started to PANIC.
Safety of my baby is number 1,2,3,4,5 etc to me (my friend told me I am mad and I don't think about safety) .
I can buy car seat but I won't need it or ever use it.And if I buy than I need to buy base which doesn't make sense to me -who will be installing base in the black cab ?
I am sorry I am rumbling because I do want to do what is right ,but having read your post Me23 ,You have put my mind and heart at ease.
Thank you so much flowers

lupo5 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:44:23

Thank you wishmynamewasdave-that is another great advice that I didn't think of....

fromparistoberlin73 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:50:40

you can as far as I am aware take a pram into a black cab OP- good luck XXXXX

ps get a sling if yuou can- best thing every for people who walk and use public transport X

fromparistoberlin73 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:53:34

www.babyelegance.org/collections/out-about/rain-covers

here are rain covers no??

stargirl1701 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:54:14

You can put the pram into a black cab. The law does not require you to have a car seat for taxis. The hospital cannot require a car seat either. It would be rather daft to buy a car seat for one single journey and then never use it again.

fromparistoberlin73 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:54:38

agree with Me 23- tell them you are getting the bus or walking home

lupo5 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:57:38

Thank you. That is what I need I thought I could buy in one of the high street shops -bit easier but if I don't find it today I will order one.flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now