Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone got a sensible reason why cheesecake isn't allowed in pregnancy?

(33 Posts)
hazelnutlatte Mon 10-Nov-14 10:55:13

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and was at a conference dinner yesterday. The woman sitting next to me was also pregnant and made a fuss about how she couldn't have the cheesecake for dessert "unless it was a baked cheesecake." The waitress confirmed it didn't contain raw egg but wasn't sure if it was baked or not, so the woman had the dairy free dessert option instead.
I had the cheesecake. So can anyone enlighten me as to what ingredient this woman might have been trying to avoid? Or was she just a bit mad?

BitchPeas Mon 10-Nov-14 10:55:55

She was just a bit mad.

CantBeBotheredThinking Mon 10-Nov-14 10:59:49

Some soft cheeses need to be cooked before they are safe to eat in pregnancy however these are things like brie and camembert so not ones that you would use for a cheesecake so it does sound like she is overdoing it on the safe side.

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 10-Nov-14 11:02:43

She's being mad and a bit, 'LOOK AT ME, PEASANTS! I'M UPDUFFED!'

Nothing wrong with cream cheese or mascarpone unless, as you say, it's accompanied by raw egg as in some Tiramisu recipes,

Pisghetti Mon 10-Nov-14 11:03:28

I'm guessing she misunderstood the message about soft cheeses? Mother's Day fell a short while after DS was born and his dad bought me Philadelphia as a present 'because I hadn't been able to eat soft cheese'. I didn't have the heart to set him right as it was a lovely gesture!

WingsClipped Mon 10-Nov-14 11:17:30

Is anyone else reading this and thinking "MUST HAVE CHEESECAKE THIS SECOND" grin

Jodie1982 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:40:16

Mmmmmmm cheesecake!!! Well she missed out didn't she. Nom nom nom!

Only1scoop Mon 10-Nov-14 12:42:17

It's the cheese thing....they are generally made of mascarpone though so that's fine....

Hope you enjoyed it smile

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 10-Nov-14 17:17:43

Desperately want some cheesecake now. What flavour was it?

Thumbwitch Mon 10-Nov-14 17:19:52

Perhaps she was confusing it with "soft cheese" that is generally on the "off" list for pregnant women?

Other than that, she was just a bit odd.

Cheesecake = fab. Although I have to say that I'm now a convert to baked cheesecake since moving to Australia, because the "European style" is viciously sweet to the point of being inedible. sad

Allisgood1 Mon 10-Nov-14 17:19:58

I really need some cheesecake now smile

Woman was mad. Is it her PFB by any chance?

NakedFamilyFightClub Mon 10-Nov-14 17:34:05

You can eat cheesecake with raw eggs too as long as the eggs are pasteurised. The Two Chicks eggs in cartons got me my lemon cheesecake fix when I was pg cake

MrsCakesPrecognition Mon 10-Nov-14 17:45:39

YWBU not to nab the waitress and say "I'll have her's too if it's going spare".

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 10-Nov-14 17:45:51

Oh phew! I panicked a bit and thought but I love cheesecake grin

As others have said no harm in cheesecake even if it contains raw eggs as long as eggs are pasteurised (if in the uk they should be).

I was really careful with first pregnancy, this time around it's a bit more common sense rather than guidlines for me.

hazelnutlatte Mon 10-Nov-14 17:48:09

The cheesecake had chocolate on the top but was a bit bland as cheesecake goes. Glad that the consensus is that she's mad! She also sent the waitress to check that the lamb main course didn't contain liver (I had assumed that if it was liver it would have said so on the menu, but I guess that's not good enough for some)
It isn't a pfb - she has an older child, I have a feeling it's more a case of "look at me, I'm so special" than preg induced panic.
Am still at the conference - will await her menu issues tonight!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 10-Nov-14 17:51:20

My husband is bringing cheesecake in from work now. Thanks!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 10-Nov-14 17:52:11

Not from work... He doesn't work in a cheesecake-making factory... More's the pity hmm

Marmaladecat1 Mon 10-Nov-14 17:53:00

I need cheesecake!

Catsmamma Mon 10-Nov-14 17:53:51

I do wonder if people stupid enough to imagine Philadelphia cheese is a serious health issue should be allowed to procreate tbh.

RabbitSaysWoof Mon 10-Nov-14 17:59:37

Waiting for cheesecake to defrost wink

Thumbwitch Mon 10-Nov-14 18:04:58

I got a few hmm looks for eating Boursin while pregnant; some people just can't differentiate between "soft cheeses that might possibly contain Listeria from the water in the caves in which they were stored while ripening" and "soft cheeses that are processed to within an inch of their lives", Philly also being one of the latter.

hazelnutlatte Mon 10-Nov-14 18:41:36

It appears I have created a fair bit of demand for cheesecake now!

LittleBearPad Mon 10-Nov-14 18:45:31

She's being ridiculous. And checking if the lamb main contained liver hmm. She's attention seeking.

sparkle17 Mon 10-Nov-14 18:50:06

Mmmm cheesecake!

I was at my friends on Saturday and one of my other friends is pregnant. They all don't know that i am yet. She was like i cant drink coke coz I'm pregnant and then later said she cant eat the dominoes dip. I had both coke and dip. I think she is being very strict. It was weird sitting there wanting to say something.

Only1scoop Mon 10-Nov-14 18:50:12

Blimey she sounds like a right nausebox op....

Can you let me know where you are ill be on hand to nick her cheesecake and whatever other morsels of delight she rejects....smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now