Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Skin care...

(8 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 10-Nov-14 09:41:06

Hiya everyone,
Was hoping you guys could help me! I'm so confused about what skin creams etc i can use. I've got the list of chemicals I need to avoid but finding it confusing as it says avoid products containing Salicyclic acids- then when I checked the product I am using has Benzyl Salicylate ? So is this the same thing with a different abbreviation?!
Why can't there just be lotions, creams, cleansers etc that state they are safe to use in pregnancy!
Fed up with al this worry all the time sad

NaiceNickname Mon 10-Nov-14 09:50:44

I haven't used any different products during pregnancy, never occurred to me to tbh confused I'm 36 weeks now and have had no problems.

Unless you have a real medical reason for avoiding certain things then don't stress, there are enough restrictions placed on pregnant women without us having to worry about whether or not our face wash is safe to use.

TriciaMcM Mon 10-Nov-14 10:05:15

Me neither. Obviously was careful with over the counter medication but didnt even think about moisturisers etc. don't have a complicated skin care regime though wink

FruitBadger Mon 10-Nov-14 10:08:23

Salicylic acid is linked with aspirin, I believe they're made from the same ingredients.

If you look at the reasons why they recommend you don't take aspirin then I don't feel there is a need to worry about face cream or wash. There are even some circumstances which mean low dose aspirin might be prescribed by a Dr in pregnancy.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it in skincare products (unless you've got a really odd pica and you want to eat it shock!)

TriciaMcM Mon 10-Nov-14 10:12:11

Actually, I'd be far more worried about my pregnancy Cadbury mini-roll addiction than skincare. Suspect far more chemicals ingested that way! Good luck & welcome to a world of worrying about being a parent smile

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 10-Nov-14 10:15:55

Ah thanks everyone! I am a bit of a panicker at moment! Had a MMC back in March and so worried its going to happen again I literally google everything argh!!!
Going to try to calm down a bit and realise that plenty of other women have healthy pregnancies without all this worry! I want to be the same.
So glad to have you all to ask for advice.
Thankyou

catsofa Mon 10-Nov-14 11:11:09

There is loads of mad stuff on the internet about things to avoid because Americans are totally nuts and paranoid about everything for no good reason. Stick to UK sites and you'll be ok and not stress over nothing.

Medicated things should be checked with a pharmacist/GP, e.g. athlete's foot treatment, acne treatment, verruca treatment etc, but normal moisturisers, shampoos and make up is all fine.

FruitBadger Mon 10-Nov-14 11:16:42

Don't Google, you'll find advice against everything and anything if you look hard enough. Virtually nothing will be recommended as "safe" in pregnancy, to do so they have to test it on a huge number of pregnant women and no ethics committee would ever sign that off as acceptable research.

Stick to the NHS website & guidance, it's specific to the UK and regularly updated so if there's international variations or changes over time you can feel more comfortable knowing that you've followed the right advice for where and when your pregnancy is happening.

Remember healthy babies have been born for a long, long time before any guidance was available. If something sounds crackers, it probably is! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now