Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ABORTION PILL HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED.

(25 Posts)
holinsjsj Sun 09-Nov-14 19:30:15

I am pregnant.I am thinking about getting the abortion pill, would the doctor give it to me at my first appointment? How long would I have to wait? Having terrible morning sickness already and cannot cope.

saintsandpoets Sun 09-Nov-14 19:33:19

How far gone are you?

FoxSticks Sun 09-Nov-14 19:34:09

it's been a few years since I went through this but my GP referred me to another clinic such as Marie Stopes. You get an appointment with them and are given a pill at that appointment to stop the pregnancy. Then you have to return the following day for another pill to start the actual abortion.

Lilliput Sun 09-Nov-14 19:34:33

It's really not as simple as that unfortunately. Speak to your GP for a bit of counselling and he will refer you to a clinic. The process usually involves an oral tablet and then vaginal pessary 24 hours later.
How many weeks do you think you are?

holinsjsj Sun 09-Nov-14 19:38:27

If I go to a family planning clinic will they be able to give me it then? 2 weeks I think

CatKisser Sun 09-Nov-14 19:38:29

Contact BPAS as soon as possible. They are great and compered to my GP they were totally helpful and non-judgmental.
However, if you do decide to terminate, it's not as simple as popping a pill, as a previous poster has said. It's a medical procedure and requires careful thought and a full understanding of what happens.

CatKisser Sun 09-Nov-14 19:38:41

*compared

FoxSticks Sun 09-Nov-14 19:42:36

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound easy, mentally and physically it wasn't, and actually the experience of aborting was horrific and physically comparable to a miscarriage I have since sadly experienced. Getting the appointments was easy though, but no the process wasn't. I was just trying to answer the questions that the OP raised.

saintsandpoets Sun 09-Nov-14 19:49:26

How old are you OP? Do you have any real life support?

It isn't possible to just get the pill on the day.

This is what happens: www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Abortion/Pages/How-is-it-performed.aspx

CatKisser Sun 09-Nov-14 19:54:39

Sorry, FoxSticks - I wasn't suggesting you'd made it sound easy. I was echoing Lilliput's comment that it's not an easy process. I didn't phrase it well.
OP, are you ok?

holinsjsj Sun 09-Nov-14 19:55:10

I'm 18 and am adopted so I have lived alone from the age of 15,can support myself

cheminotte Sun 09-Nov-14 19:59:16

Hi holin - you might want to ask to get your thread moved to pregnancy choices where you'll get lots of support.

saintsandpoets Sun 09-Nov-14 20:03:33

Noone is saying you can't support yourself - you are, of course, an adult.

But this can be a really traumatic process, as previous posters have mentioned. I asked about real life support because you might be in need of a hug when this all happens.

Do you have a supportive partner?

holinsjsj Sun 09-Nov-14 20:05:09

Yes he is very supportive

saintsandpoets Sun 09-Nov-14 20:10:43

That's good to hear! You are the same age as my sister and I'd want to help her in anyway I could if she was going through the same thing.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 09-Nov-14 20:11:35

Hi holinsjsj

Sorry to hear you are having a horrible time of morning sickness. I wasn't sure from your post whether that's the main reason you are hoping to have an abortion, if it is then please do ask your GP about the various medications that are available to help with the nausea and vomiting, some women (myself included) suffer really badly and it is indeed enough to make you feel like a full pregnancy would be unbearable.

Of course if that's not the reason then ignore my waffle! Good luck with your appointments.

Bessiebigpants Sun 09-Nov-14 20:17:59

If you are under nine weeks you can have a medical termination.Go to your local family planning clinic see the nurse tell them you need a termination and how pregnant you are.If you are under 9 weeks you will be booked into the next clinic for your first treatment.Most clinics run two a week.
You will go to clinic first thing in the morning,you will have a scan to check your dates.You don t see this,you will be offered councilling and see a doctor.You then get the first stage which is a tablet.This tablet blocks progesterone which effectively stops the placenta from functioning.Two days later you return and are given suppositories to soften the cervixs and allow the products to pass.you need to be accompanied by a responsible adult that night.You will go home and have some cramping and a heavy period where the products pass.You will be encouraged to start contraception at this point.If you are over 9 weeks you will need a surgical termination this involves a general anaesthetic.
It's a tough process and tough choice,The staff will fully support you in whatever course you need to take and you won t be judged.You can also seek councilling later if you need it.I hope this helps.

holinsjsj Sun 09-Nov-14 20:53:25

How long does it take with all appointmens?

CatKisser Sun 09-Nov-14 20:55:41

When I was in the situation you are, I had my appointment for a dating scan within days, then had to return for the process about a week later, I believe. I had the pill/pessary option at 12 weeks and had both medicines on the same day 8 hours apart.

holinsjsj Sun 09-Nov-14 21:08:29

Is a dating scan neccesarcy?

goodasitgets Sun 09-Nov-14 21:10:05

They have to scan you at the appointment and I believe you need to be at least 5 weeks and (I can't remember exactly) a few days
They will sort out the time scales, contact Marie stopes but you may have to wait as not far enough along

goodasitgets Sun 09-Nov-14 21:10:24

Oh you don't have to look at the scan either

purplefeathers Mon 10-Nov-14 20:35:30

I believe the dating scan is necessary. They need to ascertain that there's a pregnancy to terminate and ensure it's not ectopic. They also need to date the pregnancy so that you receive the most appropriate level of care.

My termination was through the nhs. Initial appointment with gp at around 3 weeks. First scan 5.5 weeks. Tablet taken at 6 weeks.

However, my medical termination failed. The initial tablet did what it was supposed to do but everything failed to come away after the pessaries and I ended up having surgery anyway.

I understand that going for the surgical option means waiting longer but the chances of it failing are less than with a medical termination. Just something for you to consider.

Get an appt asap either with a gp or bpas to get the ball rolling.

thanks

mrsshinn88 Tue 11-Nov-14 07:02:57

I had a termination when I was 19 as I wasn't ready, it's not easy and I sometimes look back and think what if but I know 100% that is was the right thing to do. If they off couselling please consider it as I didn't take it and wished I had as I had to see someone 5 years later as I didn't deal with it well. :-( hope You are OK and get the help you need asap x

cheesecakemom Tue 11-Nov-14 12:08:20

They likely won't give it on the day because they have to determine how far along you are. If you are too far along then they have to do it surgically!
If it's still early days then yes they can give a pill. They first need to test you etc unfortunately. Good Luck. Go and see your GP ASAP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now