Talk

Advanced search

What to keep on a changing table.

(13 Posts)
TheScenicRoute Sun 09-Nov-14 18:13:41

I've been given a lovely changing table with loads of storage room underneath it.... But what on earth will fill up all that space? Can you help me put a list together of what I'll need. So far I'm guessing:

Nappies
Nappy bags
Wet wipes
Cotton wool (not sure what for when I've got the baby wipes)
Nappy rash cream
(Do peopke use talc these days?)
Fresh change of emergency clothes
Changing Mat obviously.
?towel for drying the bottom?

Is that it?

If it doesn't have a baby bath integrated and there's room it may be an idea to store it there.

Cotton wool is what the say to use with water for first weeks for changing bums. I also use them to clean the eyes face and neck when top and tailing and when bathing.

excitedforbaba Sun 09-Nov-14 18:28:42

Ours is the plastic type with the bath and there are lots of wee compartments for storage!

Is it sad I can't wait to get organising it all!

I'm assuming I'll store spare vests baby grows bibs on it, nappies wipes etc for changing, baby bath, sponges, shampoo but ours will be downstairs for use in the day time!

ClariceBeanthatsme Sun 09-Nov-14 18:30:59

No to talc apparently, I found out on here babies breathe it in and it gets into their lungs.

Maybe some toys to distract baby as he/she gets older they aren't as agreeable with having their nappy changed or a mobile hanging above may look nice??

ZingOfSeven Sun 09-Nov-14 18:32:45

Vaseline

I find it's the best barrier cream for sore bottoms (especially when they are teething)

RedRose27 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:34:15

Sounds like you've got it covered smile
No to talc, I never used cotton wool, just the water wipes (still use those for face and eyes), and I use tissues for drying bottom as I think they absorb better and more hygienic. Enjoy your baby!

elQuintoConyo Sun 09-Nov-14 18:38:56

Wipes
Nappies
Change of clothes or 7
Small towels

That was about it.

DS could roll off it at 4mo so we then just used it for storage. It is now repainted blue and serves as my clothes dumping ground bedside table

muddylettuce Sun 09-Nov-14 18:44:31

You will fill it trust me! On mine I have:

Sudocrem
Nappies
Wipes
Moisturiser
Cotton buds
Hairbrush, nail clippers etc
Nappy bags
Calpol

When she was newborn I also had muslins and bibs.

SilverStars Sun 09-Nov-14 19:14:28

I had a small plastic tub to put tepid water in for cotton wool ( use just cotton wool to wipe baby during nappy changes for first few weeks etc)

Also use it as a space to store all my baby things:
Thermometer
Calpol
Nappies
Wipes ( for later)
Nappy rash cream
Bath sponge
Baby shampoo when older
Nappy bags
Baby nail scissors
Baby towels
Muslins

redexpat Sun 09-Nov-14 22:20:59

For changing:
nappies
cloths/cotton wool
tub for water
baby oil
muslins
I use talc to avoid nappy rash.
wipes after a couple of monrhs.

We kept all clothes under the changing table.

Other useful stuff
nail clippers or scissors
normal cotton buds for cleaning between fingers and toes.
baby lotion.
refills for nappy bin/nappy bags. thermometer.
comb.

TheScenicRoute Tue 11-Nov-14 19:45:37

Thank you ladies. And thanks for explaining what the mystery cotton wool is for #notaclue

HSMMaCM Tue 11-Nov-14 19:50:00

Towels to go on changing mat in case baby wees.

ThisBitchIsResting Tue 11-Nov-14 22:12:31

A million muslins grin

To throw over baby when he pees everywhere, to mop up puke etc etc.

And Sudocrem - it clears up minor nappy rash overnight ime.

Re topping and tailing - you'll be cleaning baby's bum all the time, I used wipes from about day two, just get the mildest ones they're fine. Cotton wool and a bowl (can just be any nice bowl to suit your decor!) of cooled boiled water to wipe your baby's eyes and gently over face in the evenings is good - they get gunky eyes quickly if you don't do this once a day - probably twice if you can. Important to wipe eye only once then get a fresh cotton pad to avoid infection. I made it an early part of a routine at bedtime before we bothered with baths - dim lights, bowl of warm water, me singing gently to babe while I wiped his eyes and face. He loved it, found it really calming smile don't bother with baths until you feel confident to, newborns don't get dirty apart from their bums

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now