Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cot Mattress

(8 Posts)
bellaboo88 Sun 09-Nov-14 10:07:41

Finally bought the cot, its a 70x140 cot bed & shops tell me to get a sprung mattress as the child can stay in it till age 7. I hope to have 2nd child when dc1 is around 3 so is it worth spending a fortune on a mattress that will only be used for 3years before being replaced ready for dc2?

Also, is it worth getting the ones with the zip off washable top? X

Pico2 Sun 09-Nov-14 10:40:30

I'd say no to the first and yes to the second. It's a bit galling to have spent quite a bit on DD's mattress. It looks pristine, but we will be getting a new one for DC2. Washable is always good with babies, even though DD was never sick or leaky on her mattress.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 09-Nov-14 10:42:12

You dont need to buy a new one for dc2, especially if one night dc1 spends their last night in it and the next night dc2 goes into.it.

The not using secons hand mattresses is for ones you dont know anything about or have been shoved up.in a loft for X years.

Pico2 Sun 09-Nov-14 11:26:37

The guidance is a bit vague on getting a new mattress. I'm getting one, not because I think it is definitely needed, but because I don't want to have to worry about it.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sun 09-Nov-14 11:28:24

Thinkivebeenhacked its supposed to be to do with chemicals released as it is used, so having one DC in one day and another DC in the next day makes no difference.

All mattresses for use in a cot should have a removable washable cover, those without that fit cot bed size should clearly state they are only for use on toddler beds.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sun 09-Nov-14 11:35:30

Oh and sprung vs foam is a personal choice. If you like the idea of sprung you can usually find them pretty cheap/ similar priced to foam, on offer somewhere. Although I'll admit my first I was a bit pfb and got a pocket sprung at £100ish shockblush! This time I've got a quality sprung reduced in a sale for less than £40.

woodwaj Sun 09-Nov-14 14:10:17

I got a silent night my first mattress for about 100. I figured i wouldnt want to sleep on foam! My cot is the same size as yours and the website said the cot came without a mattress. It didnt and i now have 2!

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 09-Nov-14 14:42:27

Babies r us have a really good one half price at mo for £80 or I brought similar from Amazon for £40

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now