Talk

Advanced search

Missed Miscarriages

(8 Posts)
Alisvolatpropiis Sat 08-Nov-14 23:43:24

Not sure if this is the right place.

I'm 9+2/3 at the moment. And I have become fixated that when I have the dating scan in a few weeks I will be told I've had a missed miscarriage.

I'd never even heard of it before spending some quality time on the Internet but am now terrified and almost don't want to have the scan.

dannyboyle Sat 08-Nov-14 23:54:19

Ah the joys of the Internet!

Yes it is understandable that you are concerned and anxious, it is a very normal part of pregnancy! The majority of scans are fine however and chances are you will be absolutely ok so please try and not let your anxiety rule things. Missed miscarriages do however happen, I have had two and also have two wonderful children subsequently!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 00:01:04

Doctor Google is nobody's friend.

I know that in reality, it will probably all be fine. But even if it isn't, there is no point worrying myself to distraction.

Must.Stop.Googling!

Clairej81 Sun 09-Nov-14 00:20:48

Try not to worry yourself and just keep thinking positive. It's a common fear in pregnancy when a scan is approaching. Maybe avoid looking up medical issues on the internet as there is a lot of misleading information online. You could speak to your midwife as she should be able to reassure you and give you more information.

croon979 Sun 09-Nov-14 00:32:52

OP just wanted to say that I have also become fixated on this too. I am 10 weeks pregnant and no idea when my scan will be although I am meeting the midwife on Tuesday so I guessI may find out then. I think the fixation is me subconsciously trying to prepare myself. It is so hard and I think the next 2 weeks will be just as excruciating a wait as the last 6 for me. Anyway, I hear you and feel for you. Best of luck x

Shelduck Tue 11-Nov-14 23:04:11

I do know how you feel - my first pregnancy was a missed miscarriage. OK, the thing is miscarriages do happen, and because people often keep them a secret, people don't always realise how common they are - and in my opinion that doesn't really do anyone any favours in helping people cope when they do happen. (Just my personal feelings on the matter.) HOWEVER you're still far far far far more likely to have a healthy pregnancy than a miscarriage.

So it's good that you're aware that things don't always go the way you would want them to, and that maybe you shouldn't take things for granted too soon. But just let it sit in the back of your mind - don't get fixated on it, and don't get fixated on what your symptoms or lack of do or don't mean, because you won't know anything until you actually have your scan. I'm afraid it's just a case of waiting it out, and never ever going near Dr Google!

I wish you all the best, I really do. cake

Shelduck Tue 11-Nov-14 23:12:30

PS i now have one lovely DS, and another well on it's way, so missed miscarriages, although very sad at the time, aren't the end of the road, by any means. There are many other women on here who will have a similar story.
Take care x

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Wed 12-Nov-14 11:17:40

I had a mmc earlier this year and it was heartbreaking. In this pregnancy I am now 11 weeks - I had a private reassurance scan at 8 weeks where I could see a little bean with a little heartbeat flashing away on the screen, it was so worth it at about £100 to put my mind at rest. Still worried though but I know the chances of a mmc after a heartbeat is heard are slim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now