Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnant over weight ... home birth

(13 Posts)
ghostspirit Sat 08-Nov-14 13:20:12

hi, all im planning on a home birth. i have told midwfe this and she keeps going on and on about the birthing centre. i dont want that at all want to be at home. I get the impression home births are not liked. I was told i could not have my last home birth because my iron levels were to low. I did have my home birth in the end as it all happend to fast. and had no time to call anyone. This is my 5th child im thinking things might happen pretty fast again. but im also wondering if my weight could be used as an excuse not to give me my home birth. my bmi is 32 im 13 stone 5.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 08-Nov-14 15:22:32

Fight for it if you want it. You obviously know what you're doing if it's baby 5. But with a bmi over 30, they will consider you higher risk.

What do you mean 'birth centres are not liked'? I used one and it was wonderful. You could visit and see what it's like in order to make an informed decision.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 08-Nov-14 15:23:19

Sorry- I misread! Maybe some midwives don't like home births- I don't know. All the ones I meet are keen.

ghostspirit Sat 08-Nov-14 16:01:22

not really sure why i would be classed as high risk. was same weight with my last child and same before that... And then because my last birth was so fast 20-30 i was on my own when i gave birth. so although they might say no to my home birth because of my weight i think they should at least consider it might still happen. one of them things have to see what happens i guess

Rockchick1984 Sat 08-Nov-14 20:04:11

They can't say no to a home birth, you have to be attended if that's what you choose to do (obviously if they can't get to you in time then that's different) so don't let them fob you off.

ghostspirit Sat 08-Nov-14 20:30:50

oh i never knew that thank you. when they said i could not before they just never delivered the birth pack. so maybe that will happen this time as well. hopefully all will be ok as im going to have home birth what ever anyway. unless there is a good reason not to of course.

Rockchick1984 Sun 09-Nov-14 17:23:25

There's a lot of support and info on home Birth UK if they are funny with you about it. Good luck, I had a home birth earlier this year and it was fantastic!

ghostspirit Mon 10-Nov-14 16:19:40

Thankyou. i have unplanned home birth with my last child. she was born before anyone got here. but it was still the best birth ever smile smile

puddock Mon 10-Nov-14 16:28:47

have a look at the "can I have a home birth if..." links on www.homebirth.org.uk - specific info re being overweight etc.

LondonKate Mon 10-Nov-14 17:13:46

My BMI at 36 weeks was 33 and I'm booked in for a homebirth, none of the midwives have mentioned my BMI as a being a problem (my BMI was 34 at booking in, so they've had time to raise it).

The GP was generally anti home birth, but the midwives I've interacted with have been really positive.

Thehedgehogsong Mon 10-Nov-14 17:19:20

My BMI was just over 30 at booking in and I'm having a home birth. I don't think the head midwives around here are keen on homebirths either but the younger, keener midwives are definitely happy with it and mine is as young as they come looks about 12, nearly fainted when I saw her driving a car and fine with it! It helps that I told her I AM having a homebirth and I've never asked permission for it.

MsIngaFewmarbles Mon 10-Nov-14 17:19:42

All Trusts guidelines are different, I know ours doesn't recommend a home birth for a BMI of 35 or more. Having said that its a recommendation NOT a rule. I know of a woman who had similar circumstances to yours, her BMI was 37 though. The consultant agreed a HB as it was likely to happen anyway. Most community MW actively encourage HB in my experience. Good luck

ghostspirit Wed 12-Nov-14 13:40:15

thank you everyone. i think im just going to 'tell' them im having a home birth. i have been simlar weight for at least my last 2 pregnancys. and as i said my last child was born really fast. midwife was saying about maternity centre its like from home to home. im sure its lovely but its still not home and i dont want to be stuck there for 6 hours either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now