Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD belts

(14 Posts)
Shelduck Sat 08-Nov-14 10:13:11

I'm 22 weeks and have the beginnings of spd. MW said if it got more of a problem to let her know and she'd refer me for physio, but it's not too bad at the moment. Only really a problem after i've had a particularly active day. (Although it is getting worse.) I'm wondering whether i should look at getting a support belt? Any recommendations or advice? Would it be best to talk to mw first? Thanks in advance!

pippinleaf Sat 08-Nov-14 10:30:21

Just get one, midwives are useless. I got the Serola which is expensive but well worth it. I had a mothercare one and the Velcro used to rip my clothes/tights/skin and it didn't offer good support. The Serola can be adjusted easily and is shaped so the Velcro doesn't stick out, it's meant the difference between me using crutches and walking fairly normally.

Aciderwouldbenice Sat 08-Nov-14 10:32:45

I got one from the physio, it was useful and did help. It also kept my maternity jeans up which was an added bonus!

NinjaPanda34 Sat 08-Nov-14 21:52:45

Go back to your mw and get her to refer you to physio. They gave me two Velcro support belts which have been a godsend!

pippinleaf Sat 08-Nov-14 22:01:10

If you can afford it just buy the Serola. It was £30. You will wait weeks to see a physio. And it will just get worse.

BeginnerSAHM Sun 09-Nov-14 05:19:06

I have the Serola. It helped when the SPD was mild. But it's got a lot worse over the last 5 weeks. Have crutches now... I'd ask for a referral for physio ASAP. It took me ages to get an appointment on the NHS despite being referred 'urgently'. (4 1/2 weeks...). Look at the Pelvic Partnership website for up to date information on SPD/PGP. I'm still being told out of date stuff from the NHS physio and the midwife... Manual manipulation (i.e. physio treatment, osteopathy, chirpractor etc) can help apparently. But try to get some treatment early to stop it getting worse. It might not get worse - it seems quite random - but often does so it's best to tackle it early. And the physio can show you some exercises too.

cheesecakemom Sun 09-Nov-14 06:35:59

My Nhs physio wanted to sell me one! Which I think is beyond ridiculous. The quality is very poor. Get one from amazon or mother care.

bronya Sun 09-Nov-14 06:50:24

Serola belt plus a book of exercises for when you've still managed to do yourself some damage and need to re-align your hips again!

TriciaMcM Sun 09-Nov-14 07:23:14

I'm like a broken record on every spd thread, but go to a Physio, ideally someone who knows this area well. The first physio didn't, and I was still in agony for a week until I went to the second. It helped so much & I only needed 3 sessions with her for a major improvement. Luckily shortly afterwards the baby dropped which helped again. I'm not running around but I am mobile which is essential when self employed with a DD already.

Do get a belt and check the website above for dos and don'ts. But ask for physio referral ASAP. Its not guaranteed to help everyone but I'd have been in bed for maybe 6 weeks+ otherwise. Was worth every penny.

Penguin13 Sun 09-Nov-14 07:55:32

Hi Shelduck, sorry you're suffering. Just wanted to add that it may depend where you are getting the pain what kind of belt is right for you. Mine is centred over the pubic symphysis at the front of the pelvis and the serola belt did nothing for me I'm afraid. Definitely worth trying to see a physio even if you get a support belt as you need exercises to go along with it. Hope you find something that works for you.

babyblabber Sun 09-Nov-14 07:57:02

Defo get a belt and wear it if you are going to be walking a lot eg shops, walking to work, going for a walk.

Sterols defo the best too. And get referred to the physio, can't hurt whereas spd certainly can!

pippinleaf Sun 09-Nov-14 08:00:49

I waited ten weeks to see a physio!they were really useless. In the end I paid to see an osteopath twice and the difference is amazing. I can walk around fairly normally now and think it was the best money with the belt, I could have spent.

Shelduck Sun 09-Nov-14 18:58:07

Hi all. Many thanks for the advice. That's been really helpful. X

Shelduck Sat 22-Nov-14 22:24:43

Hi, just an update. Have got MW to refer me for physio, but also bought Serola belt, and a week on it's made a massive difference. So if anyone else is suffering, and you don't mind stumping up the cash, i'd definitely recommend it. Bit of a faff loosening/removing it going to the loo and when i'm sat down for a while, but found it very easy to fit in terms of actually getting it right otherwise. Thanks ladies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now