Talk

Advanced search

Waking with numb sore hands

(11 Posts)
Firstpregnancy2014 Sat 08-Nov-14 09:10:30

Just past the 37 week mark
For the past week I've been waking up with numb hands and they're really sore! Quite swolen too.
They stay quite sore throughout the day but the numbness is mainly in the morning.
My feet and ankles are huge too!
Any tips ? Suddenly only one pair of my shoes fit me where I've been fine all the way through.
Saw midwife on 30th October so last Thursday and she detected no abnormality in my urine

ireallydontlikemonday Sat 08-Nov-14 09:17:25

Carpal tunnel syndrome?

Trooperslane Sat 08-Nov-14 09:20:50

Cts. It's awful. Self refer to Physio

Jersey37 Sat 08-Nov-14 13:01:31

Do you sleep with your arm under a pillow? That is exactly what happens to me when I do that. If so, arms at sides is better. Re feet - try a large pillow at end of bed so you can raise you feet when you sleep... not exactly the most comfortable sleeping position - but even if you shift in the middle of the night it might help.

Jersey37 Sat 08-Nov-14 13:02:13

PS I'm 36+5... not far behind you!

superbfairywren Sun 09-Nov-14 08:23:53

Although swelling is very common in pregnancy, especially later on, It is probably worth speaking to your local hospital or your midwife about it today just for peace of mind. Severe swelling can be a sign of preeclampsia, especially if it shows up suddenly in the hands or face. if it is carpal tunnel they should be able to give you wrist supports or tips for easing the pain. Its been a while now since your last urine check, so I would be inclined to get your bp and urine checked again as soon as you can. Things can change quickly in pregnancy. Swelling feet and ankles is common but keep your feet raised as high as you can to encourage the fluid to drain in the meantime. Don't mean to panic you as it is likely it is just one of the attractive 3rd trimester joys we get to experience but it's always worth getting these things checked out.

YouAreMyRain Sun 09-Nov-14 08:40:57

Sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome. At the 37 week mark you are unlikely to get it sorted in time on the nhs, you can buy wrist splints from larger boots stores or they can order them in for you. My appointment to be fitted for nhs wrist splints took three months. Useless. As soon as DS was born mine got better.

jennifer86 Sun 09-Nov-14 09:47:06

I agree the hand problem sounds like carpal tunnel, but also agree with super - Swelling can be a sign of preeclampsia and it sounds like things have changed a lot since your bp and urine were last checked 10 days ago, so definitely worth getting checked out. Do you have the phone number for your assessment unit or labour ward? It would be fairly easy for them to see you and check those things, then if they are normal can put your mind at rest! Please let us know how you get on smile

moggle Sun 09-Nov-14 11:23:34

Definitely see if you can get your BP checked but just to reassure you, I'm now 39 weeks (well, tomorrow!) and have been getting swollen hands and feet for the last few weeks and I still have the same low BP I've had all the way through. I also have pins and needles / numbness overnight and when sitting and knitting. When I get my arms angled down it improves a lot but obviously that's hard to do when lying in bed!

mssleepyhead Mon 10-Nov-14 10:43:07

Carpal tunnel for the hands. I had it from about 25 weeks, improved by sleeping wearing wrist splints.

fertilityFTW Mon 10-Nov-14 10:51:19

Ooh, I'd forgotten this! Carpal tunnel they said. Elevate your hands while sleeping they said. Also elevate your feet. hmm Oh, and don't sleep on your back... confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now