Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Odd question- autumn/winter newborn coat?

(15 Posts)
TriciaMcM Fri 07-Nov-14 22:42:33

DD was born in a heatwave in June, so now that DC2 is about to arrive, I realised I have no coat for him/her. Did a little googling, and they say not to use a coat/snow suit in a car seat anyway, and they don't seem to do 0-1mth jacket type things. So i just have a cardigan and planned to tuck blankets into the car seat. I got a fleece hat as well. This isn't exactly critical, DC2 will probably end up outside for 45 seconds max from hospital door to waiting warm car & again at home.

But can anyone shed light on what I should buy? Will have same issue with pram shortly too, what on earth do they wear?!

(Funny thing is, I thought all this stuff would be easier second time round grin)

beavington Fri 07-Nov-14 22:55:47

I never thought of buying a coat for my dd before she was born but luckily someone gave us a little fleece as a present. It was 0-3m and i was gutted when she grew out of it cos it was perfect. Dd didnt look comfortable in proper coats til she was at least crawling. Fleeces are warm but not too bulky for a carseat and are good for layering which is important with a newborns need to be dressed suited to the temp. The one we had was nice but im sure its probably not conjured up a pretty picture!

TriciaMcM Fri 07-Nov-14 23:00:24

Thanks beavington- does this look too heavy would you think? ie.nextdirect.com/en/x542784s2#684228

ourbabybeau Fri 07-Nov-14 23:01:28

I'm by no means an expert as someone who is expecting her first baby- however:

I was shopping with my sister in law on Monday (who has 3 children) and I was wondering the same thing as I had heard thicker jackets aren't suitable for use in car seats so I have brought a thick cardigan and a jersey quilted jacket from Mothercare which I will use when baby is in the pram.

Lots of warm blankets too!

beavington Fri 07-Nov-14 23:05:18

Its very sweet but it is on the slightly bulkier side if you are concerned about the carseat issue. You might want to see it in real life first. I googled after i posted and there actually isnt much choice out there so sorry about that! Do you know what youre having?

dancingwitch Fri 07-Nov-14 23:06:03

You can buy wraps/foot muffs which are designed for use with a car seat. The back bit of it stays in the car seat at all times and when you're in the car or inside, you just throw back the bit which goes over the baby &, when you're out,you tuck it in around the baby. The are brilliant. DC1 was a winter baby and didn't have a first coat until 3-6mths as, until then, she'd either been in a snowsuit (if she was in the sling or pram) or in the maxi cosi foot muff if we were out with the car seat.

beavington Fri 07-Nov-14 23:06:59

Yes you cant help but go overboard with the blankets so a slightly thinner outerwear is best. Quilted jacket is a good idea.

JuniperTisane Fri 07-Nov-14 23:20:17

get one of these

or one of these

TriciaMcM Fri 07-Nov-14 23:39:24

Thank you all thanks I just ordered a footmuff for the car seat & between that and cardigan/hat should be ok to get home. Footmuff makes perfect sense, can open in the car itself then too once it's warm.

Think I'll get a coat instead of snowsuit for the pram though & use with blankets so that I can take them off in shops easily to avoid overheating.

Anyone else amazed at how much babies cost, even 2nd time around?!

Help much appreciated flowers

SomeSunnySunday Sat 08-Nov-14 08:32:40

We have a fleece wrap called a Baby Nomade - here - which I didn't use much with DCs 1&2 (spring / summer babies) but I think will be very useful with DC3. In my excitement at having a girl after 2 boys, I have also bought a ridiculous ivory faux fur jacket that I suspect she will wear for photos only.

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 08-Nov-14 12:23:39

Yes snowsuits are very impractical, but they are soooo cuuuuute! There is nothing cuter than a newborn in a snowsuit with its arms up above its head snoozing happily!

Quite handy in a pram if it's really cold too. But probably not necessary sadgrin

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 08-Nov-14 15:10:46

We had loads of snowsuits (November baby) but to be honest barely used them until she was older. They were a hassle to get on and off and also if you're going in and out of shops/cafés they're far too warm for indoors. We had some thick cardigan/jacket type things and mainly layered with blankets. Thick coats in car seats are a definite no no.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 08-Nov-14 16:47:59

Car seat footmuff well that's my solution for my second due end of this month, ds 1 was summer born.

Pram carrycot also has a sleepnest so no need for coat.

We have a new born padded all in one between cardi n coat but not sure we will need it unless mega freezing cold winter or school run from car to School.

Alyx80 Sat 08-Nov-14 16:55:22

Tuppence and Crumble starsuits are lovely and easy to put on too.

Dogsmom Sat 08-Nov-14 23:07:40

Dd was born early March 2013, it was freezing and we had very heavy snow, I used to dress her in vest, sleep suit, hand knitted wooly cardi and hat then once she was strapped into car seat would tuck a blanket over her, she was always warm enough.
We did have a couple of snowsuits bought for her but they were never used as they looked too cumbersome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now