Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Back massage in early pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
FortyFacedFuckers Fri 07-Nov-14 22:18:25

I am booked to go for a back massage and I am 6 weeks pregnant I seem to vaguely remember from last time (9 years ago) that this was not recommend? Does anyone know if this is right?

RumAppleGinger Sat 08-Nov-14 08:25:59

Yes, I think the advice is to wait until 12 weeks before getting any kind of back massage.

m33r Sat 08-Nov-14 08:30:12

Nope. I couldn't get a head massage! You'll probably find the people will refuse as soon as you tell them you're pg. Congrats btw!

FantasticMrsFoxx Sat 08-Nov-14 09:19:02

I have a monthly Thai massage and my therapist just changed what she did when I told her I was pregnant (at 6 weeks. I'm now 28). Are you still comfortable lying on your stomach? Could you do that for an hour on a therapy bed?
I'd double check your salon's own policy. They should be able to move the appointment for you.

Stupidhead Sat 08-Nov-14 09:24:05

I was a shiatsu massage therapist. Tell her that you're pregnant, she might alter your massage to a different area, arms or legs if you're still nervous.

In my training we were taught all about contraindications and places to avoid but your baby is far more protected than you think! You couldn't actually work in the areas you weren't meant to, it just felt 'different' - we practised under tutor guidance on a pregnant fellow trainee grin

MissHobart Sat 08-Nov-14 11:06:57

I had regular sports massage before being pregnant, she won't do it again until 16 weeks hmm Two to go and I can have some relief fire my back pain again! Hurrah! grin

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 08-Nov-14 16:37:39

Thanks for the advice think I better cancel just to be sure. I was suppose to be going for a pamper day with my mum & sis but don't want to tell them just yet so will try and tell them I am sick or something.

leanne963 Sat 08-Nov-14 16:55:29

What!? You can't have massages? My boyfriend always gives me a little back rub when i am about to get into bed!! Arghhh, what is the reason behind this?? ANOTHER thing to add on the 'Do not do' list. lol

MrsDumbledore Sat 08-Nov-14 17:09:08

Whoops-had a back, neck and shoulder massage yesterday at 10 weeks -spa day booked ages ago, so phoned to tell them I was pregnant and they said wouldn't do the hot stone massage I had booked (presumably full body), but would do back massage as long as i was comfortable lying on my front. Wondering if I did the right thing now!

MissHobart Sat 08-Nov-14 19:20:17

A little back rub is different to a full massage (Swedish/sports therapy) where they are manipulating tissues much more and generally getting lymphatic fluids moving etc, I think there's very little risk even then though but their insurance won't let them risk it prior to a certain stage!

applecore0317 Mon 10-Nov-14 14:21:34

I went for a back, neck and shoulder massage on Saturday, and didn't even know it was a no no, she said she wouldn't do the full massage, but begrudgingly agreed to do my shoulders as they were really sore and she thought I might be ok as I still go to the gym, after about 15 minutes I cam over extremely queasy and then felt faint and had to put my head between my knees quickly!

The masseuse said that is over stimulates the blood flow which is already stimulated due to all the work it's doing for the baby, so she recommended I wait until 16 weeks, but it's put me off to be honest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now