Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hello maternity leave !

(12 Posts)
Firstpregnancy2014 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:05:01

Just finished for maternity leave finally!!
I'm 37+2 and knackered, feel so so relieved to have finished.
I'm booked in for a section 2 weeks today which means I know I have exactly two weeks off ! As long as baby doesn't arrive early....
Any tips of what I should do?
I have my bags packed, have all baby stuff sorted and have a few coffee dates with friends arranged but that's it!

Chipandspuds Fri 07-Nov-14 17:06:21

Afternoon naps smile a good book and maybe a tv series on Netflix? Enjoy!

Firstpregnancy2014 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:08:09

That's what I was thinking but didn't want to get through the two weeks and feel like I had wasted it!
Scary that this time in 2 weeks I'll have my baby!

ilovehotsauce Fri 07-Nov-14 17:09:39

Sleep watch crap TV, read a book, sit quietly and just chill out!

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Fri 07-Nov-14 17:16:52

I finished 2weeks ago am 37+1 and also booked for section in 2 weeks and echo the nap thing.

I plan to finish hospital bag next week n maybe do bit batch cooking

This is number 2 for us, have a ds aged 4 already who is at school

haventgotaclue1 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:17:09

I'm just coming to the end of my 3rd week of mat leave and haven't felt at all bored yet (which is amazing for me!). Have got myself into a routine of doing things (slowly) in the morning; having lunch and then having a nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Currently this is working very well for me!

So, things I've been doing in the mornings: making the Christmas cake; batch cooking; baking cakes; seeing friends; knitting; Christmas shopping; boring admin stuff that I need to concentrate on; walking waddling really around the park near me; making Christmas cards....

Topsyloulou Fri 07-Nov-14 18:15:17

I filled my maternity leave with batch cooking, meeting friends, pampering myself - nails, haircut etc, reading, watching tv etc. I also downloaded lots of books & tv programmes to keep me entertained whilst feeding. I would also stock up on as much on food, toiletries etc as possible as you won't be able to drive after your section & I always ran out of things when dp was at work.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 07-Nov-14 18:54:04

Relax and batch cook, batch cook and batch cook some more - IMO you really can't have to many proper meals stocked up in the freezer, when there's a newborn on his/her way.

Firstpregnancy2014 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:58:20

Thankyou for the suggestions ! This sounds stupid but ... What's best to batch cook?
are there any particularly helpful websites?
I normally just get in from work and start cooking I never prepare in advance

avocadotoast Fri 07-Nov-14 19:05:35

There are some good websites, I can't remember off the top of my head but if you google it you'll bring up loads smile

I hardly ever do it (I will when I'm on mat leave though!) but when I have it's been stuff like shepherds pie, stews, soups, and you can always do meatballs and portions of mashed potato, etc.

Mrsgrumble Fri 07-Nov-14 19:08:47

I'm starting mine this week

I had a baby last year so well up on passing maternity leave time ;)

Batch cook curry, casserole (I slow cook beef steak with carrots, parsnips, onions etc and bit of bisto)

Also bolognese, chilli

Then buy mocrowave rice, gnocchi, ready to wok noodles.

Miriama Fri 07-Nov-14 19:12:30

I did loads of curries, lentil dhal, thai green curry etc, spag bog sauce, lasagne, beef stew, cauliflower cheese. Bought in frozen veg, beanburgers and baked tatties. Also bought loads of microwave rice packets, pesto sauce, gnocchi etc. which means you can have a meal in minutes. You will be really hungry, especially if breast feeding, I can't get enough food right now I'm six weeks in! I also had an elective section, and you might find your recovery time quicker than six weeks, but you will not want to be worried about cooking (well I wasn't!). These days I'm all about the slow cooker, as I don't need to worry about cooking so much as chucking stuff in a pot and switching it on. Don't forget to eat loads of fruit and veg too, especially post section as you definitely don't want trapped wind...! Good luck and enjoy your last few child free days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now