Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid question alert - kicks or hiccups??

(13 Posts)
Burmama Fri 07-Nov-14 10:20:54

So I know this sounds daft but how can you tell kicks and hiccups apart? I'm 28 weeks and pretty sure I have never felt hiccups... Although now starting to wonder if what I think is a couple of kicks one after another is actually hiccups... Is it like a couple of thumps in a row? Or something else? What do hiccups feel like please?? (Baby hiccups obv, I know what my own feel like.) Thanks!!

WrappedInABlankie Fri 07-Nov-14 10:25:41

I never felt hiccups with my son only kicks all the way through hth

NaiceNickname Fri 07-Nov-14 10:28:53

Mine feel quite gentle but still make my belly move slightly, one after the other like every 2-3 seconds and they usually last for no longer than a couple of minutes smile

QueenOfThorns Fri 07-Nov-14 10:29:33

I felt a lot more hiccups than kicks! What I interpreted as being hiccups was the same small movement repeated over and over again (more than twice) at more or less regular intervals. The kicks were a lot more random.

I think I was right, she carried on hiccuping a lot after she was born and is still doing it at 9.5 months!

divingoffthebalcony Fri 07-Nov-14 10:31:22

My DD was extremely hiccupy in utero. There's no mistaking them really - they feel like hiccups! Little jolts at regular intervals for minutes at a time. Kicks feel harder and there's no real pattern to them.

Burmama Fri 07-Nov-14 10:37:03

Ok thanks all, in that case I think what I'm feeling is in fact kicks... Never felt anything that is unmistakeably hiccup-y.... Unless perhaps he only does it when I'm sleeping

tabulahrasa Fri 07-Nov-14 10:40:55

DD was very hiccupy...it was pretty obvious that's what it was, very regular little jolts for about ten minutes or so.

She was also very hiccupy as a baby. smile

She was my second though, DS didn't hiccup that I know of, so I assume some do it more than others and possibly it depends what position and stuff they're in.

woodwaj Fri 07-Nov-14 10:55:10

I've been wondering the exact same thing. Im going to stick with just kicks for now!!

twiglet2 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:03:40

I didn't feel hiccups until 30 weeks plus.

RedRose27 Fri 07-Nov-14 12:13:55

DD had hiccups almost every day when she was a bump, sometimes twice a day! Often after I ate dinner in the evenings.
When I first started to feel them I was exactly the same, wasn't sure if they were just kicks, but they were too rhythmic to be kicks.
I hink I could feel them from about 23/24 weeks... Once I was about 30 weeks there was no mistaking them as the whole bump would jiggle!

divingoffthebalcony Fri 07-Nov-14 13:05:23

I can best that, mine would hiccup around eight times a day. Probably more than that, but I didn't notice overnight when I was asleep! She was hiccuping within two hours of being born too. Took a long time to grow out of it, but now she's 3.2 and now only gets hiccups when she laughs a lot.

LittlePink Fri 07-Nov-14 13:27:12

Im 32 weeks and baby gets hiccups most evenings. It's like a gentle rhythmic flicking way down in my pelvis. Lasts about 5-10 mins at a time.

DPotter Fri 07-Nov-14 13:33:09

My DD would start to hiccup in the evenings when I sat down for the evening. Definitely different from kicking. She is still prone to hiccups and she's now 15.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now