Talk

Advanced search

Please help me get rid of this cough!

(8 Posts)
Seasidedolly Fri 07-Nov-14 06:13:09

Hi all
I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have had an awful cold for a week (thanks immune system!) Which I absolutely cannot shake.
The worst part is the sore throat and constant coughing, it's a vicious circle as I cough to clear my irritated throat but that just makes my throat worse, feels like my throat is cut to ribbons.
On Monday I went to the pharmacist to ask what I could safely take - told nothing and to see GP. Tried homemade honey & lemon but my pregnant extra sensitive gag reflex made me throw it back up instantly.
Saw GP yesterday who prescribed a throat numbing spray but advised it should only be used when essential in pregnancy. I tried it but it makes me physically sick or else numbs my mouth and not my throat.
This is keeping me awake for hours and making me pretty miserable, has anyone been advised of ant cough medicine that you are allowed to take? I just want to soothe my throat so it can have a chance of recovering from the cough.

Thank you for listening to my rant!

Quitelikely Fri 07-Nov-14 06:19:24

I know this sounds obvious but have you tried so others, halls or tunes?

Also get some flavoured tea to soothe your throat. Pick one that is good for your condition. Then keep it by your bed so that when you wake up coughing you can have a good glug

Fingerscrossed10 Fri 07-Nov-14 08:36:51

Oh poor you!! What about hot Ribena I hate lemsips and honey but always found a hot Ribena soothing on a sore throat as it gives it a sugary coating just as cough mixture would.
Also mixed views about menthol when pregnant but Vicks on the soles of your feet is meant to help stop coughing... No idea how but anything is worth a go!!!
Hope you feel better soon x

Seeline Fri 07-Nov-14 08:53:35

I had whooping cough when pg. The GP said to take 'Simple Linctus' - that's its name BTW, it doesn't mean just a basic cough mix as I mistakenly thought
You can get it over the counter. He said to put it into hot black tea. I could put honey in too if I wanted, but like you pg hormones couldn't stomach that.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 07-Nov-14 09:00:14

There's morning you can really do for a cough in terms of a cure. It's more about managing symptoms. Hot drinks to sooth your throat, boiled sweets to keep everything moist, try sleeping sat upright and keep your bedroom cool - warm air seems to make it worse I find.

I'm 8 weeks and have an annoying cough too. Sympathy fist bumps.

dorasee Fri 07-Nov-14 09:07:01

I had this last year from October to March! It was AWFUL! I was pregnant too. I also had this during my previous pregnancy. Dreadful. I had a stake in Tena Lady shares. Nice! Peeing my pants, pregnant, coughing my lungs up, lack of sleep, and the chronic worry about the baby's well-being made it such a stressful time. I swear by Boots lemon and honey linctus. It's safe. Just sugar and glycerine really. In the short term it really stopped my spasmic coughing fits and gave me a bit of respite. Strepsils too. I had to go on antibiotics which really did nothing to be honest. I am coughing again but this time, baby is next to me, snoring. Sending you healthy wishes!

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Fri 07-Nov-14 09:26:20

Inhaling steam will help. Mostly you need to rest and not go out on the cold. Eat well, drink plenty of water. Are you working? Take some time off. Going out, getting tired etc will all prolong it.

figginz Fri 07-Nov-14 16:29:31

This is going to sound really odd but bear with me. At about 22 weeks (now 34) I had an awful cold which turned into cough I couldn't shake. It was so bad I was being sick, waking up at night, constantly in tears. Nobody was very helpful... Only advice I got was "are you sure it's not indigestion because that can make you throw up" from prescribing nurse at walk-in centre. (It wasn't bloody indigestion it was a cold.) Anyway, she prescribed Gaviscon and, in desperation, I took it. And it worked. TBH I have no idea why, maybe just because the cold was coming to an end anyway? But if you're feeling as desperate as I was, maybe give Gaviscon a try. You never know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now