Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vain question

(9 Posts)
sophie150 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:32:33

Going to treat myself to a last pedicure before my c section in the next couple of weeks. Can I get my toenails varnished? Is it just fingernails that need to be kept clear? Thanks!

MrsCK Thu 06-Nov-14 17:55:54

I've heard all nails need to be kept clear but I'm happy to be corrected!

MumaBex Thu 06-Nov-14 18:18:59

Im pretty sure for a scheduled section your not allowed any nails painted. Normally they put the sats probe on your finger but just in case they need your toes free of varnish too. Or at least thats the way it was when I had my section with my son. Double check with the midwife. x

drogoboogie Thu 06-Nov-14 19:57:33

I had an emergency forceps delivery and a poor midwife had to scrub nail varnish off my toes so it does happen! I'll go in with clear toes next time x

TheScenicRoute Thu 06-Nov-14 20:03:17

They need the option of using either your hand or your toes to monitor your SpO2 levels. No varnish I'm afraid. X

BakingBunty Thu 06-Nov-14 20:30:45

I was told they actually only need one 'clear' nail to check oxygen diffusion. So I opted for a pedicure and left fingernails au naturel... Knew from experience with DC1 that it would be AGES before I got a pedicure after birth, and that a manicure lasts five minutes anyway with a newborn - all that hand washing etc smile

cathpip Thu 06-Nov-14 20:33:36

I have worn toe nail varnish on all three of my sections, the only thing mentioned was how pretty my toes looked! Did keep my finger nails varnish free though...

sophie150 Fri 07-Nov-14 09:39:14

Ok thanks guys! Sounds like different hospitals have different policies. Might leave the toenails plain then just in case- I couldnt reach my toenails to take varnish off if they needed me too!

DanyStormborn Fri 07-Nov-14 09:55:39

I was under the impression medical staff need to be able to see the natural colour of your nails in any situation where a general anaesthetic may become necessary. I'm hoping for a low intervention birth at a the local midwife led unit but I'll try to remember to remove my nail polish before I go in in case of transfer to the local hospital and possible emergency C-section.

If I had a pedicure I would only expect it to last a couple of weeks anyway so you could treat yourself and have nice nails for a couple of weeks and just remove it (or get your OH to remove it for you!) before you go to the hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now