Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feel like crying don't know what to do

(18 Posts)
Sockstealer Thu 06-Nov-14 11:36:24

I've been suffering with mostly relentless nausea and sometimes vomiting now for the past 3-4 weeks. I don't think I've got HG as I'm able to keep food down and eat but the nausea is all day every day, all night, I'm generally only sick if triggered by something like a car journey.

But all the same I feel weak, shaky, dreadful, the house and my life are suffering because of it.

I've been to the GP and she was understanding, but she didn't really ask me any questions she just prescribed me Prochlorperazine Maleate. I've had a quick google and seems the NHS advice is not to take this at all during pregnancy, there have been cases of serious birth defects.

I'm shit scared to take this now especially as the doctor didn't really ask me any questions.

I feel at the end of my tether and so alone.

RosieProbert Thu 06-Nov-14 11:39:09

Are you able to get in touch with your community midwife?
Don't take the meds if you're worried. If you worry, you'll make yourself feel even more sick.
You can get wrist bands for sea sickness that work on pregnancy nausea apparently. I found sucking ice cubes helped me. I'm the worlds worst sick person so I empathise with you and I really hope you get better soon xx

Sockstealer Thu 06-Nov-14 11:44:48

I've just tried to call her but she's only available between 9-10 and 4-5. I haven't even had my booking in appointment yet so have never met her.

I've tried those sickness bands they did nothing. I'm snacking all day every day I've tried every food and drink going and it gives me maybe 20 minutes relief. I'm up in the middle of the night retching stomach churning.

My boss has been really shitty about me phoning in sick. I'm good for nothing right now just lying in bed.

Sorry I don't mean to sound arsey I'm at the end of my tether.

basgetti Thu 06-Nov-14 11:47:05

Prochlorperazine (stemetil) is one of the recommended drugs for treatment of sickness in pregnancy. I have had it several times this pregnancy including via injection during hospital admissions. All I can find about it on the NHS page is that you should only take it during pregnancy if your doctor thinks you need it, and they say that about just about every drug. Where did it say about birth defects? Here is some info about it from Pregnancy Sickness Support.

https://www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/help/treatments/prochlorperazine/

Sockstealer Thu 06-Nov-14 11:52:23

It was this

Am I just being really stupid?

RosieProbert Thu 06-Nov-14 11:52:25

Do you think you could get yourself signed off work for a week just to rest and let the meds settle, if you start taking them? thanks

Sockstealer Thu 06-Nov-14 11:56:21

She didn't offer to sign me off but I'm sure she would if I asked, she was sympathetic and said some employers are awful, I should have asked her but it's self cert for the first week anyway.

Sockstealer Thu 06-Nov-14 13:02:53

Well I've been to the pharmacy, I asked to speak to the pharmacist for a bit of reassurance but he wasn't sure so had a look in a book, he still wasn't sure so spent 10 minutes looking on the computer. Then he rang someone, asked if they're ok as "it says about birth defects and withdrawal", the person on the phone must have said it was ok because he came off and said "they should be fine".

I've got home and the package leaflet in the tablets is for a totally different medication. Something called Movelat Gel.

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:10:08

Hello,

I have had a look at the link you put up, the data overall do not provide any strong evidence of a link with birth defects. If you are still worried, there are other medicines that can be tried and you could ask your GP about this. Below is a leaflet that you may find helpful-it summarises the safety data for many sickness medicines used in pregnancy. How many weeks pregnant are you?
www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/NV/

mangoespadrille Thu 06-Nov-14 14:31:17

If you're concerned, go back to your GP and ask for something else. I have been on stemetil, metoclopramide, cyclizine and ondansetron during my HG pregnancy - none worked but steroids have allowed me to at least eat and drink. My doctor explained that no drugs are approved for use during pregnancy as it is considered unethical to conduct trials on pregnant women, but if there had been problems with these drugs they would've become apparent by now. Whatever you decided to do, I hope you feel better soon.

dietcokeisgreat Thu 06-Nov-14 17:36:12

Am feeling very similar - sending hugs. Gp has given me some promethazine which is incredibly sedating so not of much use. Today dropped Ds at preschool, came home and slept, picked up and have been trying to entertain him in a pathetic way. Feeling wretched. I don't remember this last time round. Only 8w so could be a while yet. Suggest phoning your GP again tmw if you are worried and asking to try a different antiemetic. Thankfully i only work mon/tues/wed. Survived this week but dreading next already. Good luck and i hope you feel better soon. Xx

Sockstealer Thu 06-Nov-14 19:18:57

I'm sorry to hear that dietcokeisgreat, your name has made me fancy a cold glass of coke now.

Thanks all I've calmed down now, I don't think I was reading that info I found earlier and I just panicked, just so fed up of feeling sick and useless.

I phoned GP and receptionist checked with GP who said it's fine and commonly prescribed. Feeling desperate to stop the sickness I've taken one and so far so good. I haven't threw up and nausea seems to have calmed down, I don't want to get too carried away though as I've had a meal too and that usually helps anyway.

I'm keeping everything crossed because I just want to feel ok and get some normality back.

Sockstealer Thu 06-Nov-14 19:20:17

I mean I don't think I read it properly I skim read and panicked.

TheScenicRoute Thu 06-Nov-14 20:08:32

Go back and ask for Cyclizine.

Also consider gaviscon... Do a google search for NHS choices, indigestion. I was the same as you and was prescribed Omeprazole and Gaviscon and it made a huge difference, the background nausea remained but was tolerable.

Iggly Thu 06-Nov-14 20:09:34

Are you taking supplements? These made me feel awful. So much so I took them just before bed.

Tryingreallyhard84 Fri 07-Nov-14 10:22:05

Aw - honey. No real "advice" per se as I'm in a similar position. Thought I had HG for a while then realised I could keep food down but just felt constantly sick and have been sick on several occasions. It sucks. As several people have said on this board, you get through it but its a day at a time.

Heartburn247 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:05:40

Hello,
I was in exactly your position (now 34 weeks) and was prescribed the same. When I googled it I found the same info as you and was too scared to take it. What also scared me was that not many others had heard of it or had been prescribed it. I went back to my gp and just explained that I knew I was probably being a bit sily but I would feel more comfortable if I could have the other meds that have been used for donkeys years etc. I was then prescribed metocloperamide and cyclizine along with ranitidine for heartburn - was on them from about 8 weeks to present day. My advice is to take the meds with military precision, do not be late in taking a dose and do not miss a dose. Nothing I ate or drank made any difference!

Heartburn247 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:09:30

Forgot to say that my boss was also shitty about me being off, try not to give it a second thought, as long as you play by the rules ie. self cert and then get signed off if required, there is nothing for you to worry about (but I know it's easier said than done)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now