Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Toddler is adament new baby is a girl

(24 Posts)
Debbylou Thu 06-Nov-14 10:57:25

Okay so my 2.5 year is totally convinced baby is a girl , everytime anybody asks him boy or girl he says baby sister and has since we found out about the pregnancy just wondering if anybody elses toddler/ older child has guessed the gender and been right ? I hope he is right because will be very dissapointed if he gets a baby brother instead of sister, he will pat bump and say my baby sister lol

ReallyTired Thu 06-Nov-14 11:00:39

There is a 50% chance he is right.

My son was convinced that my bump was a girl. I asked him what he would do if the bump was a boy. He told me "Well Mummy you will just have to have another baby - Mrs F has eight daughters"

Thankfully dear bump became dd.

blackwidow74 Thu 06-Nov-14 13:22:36

my 8 yr old daughter told the inlaws she was getting a baby sister 3 weeks BEFORE we knew we were even pregnant ... gender scan today confirms we have a little sister on her way lol smile

junkfoodaddict Thu 06-Nov-14 14:17:58

My two year old DS was convinced baby was a boy until four weeks ago when he kept saying he wants a sister. Everyone else said a girl because I am very hormonal and tears and the Chinese predictor thingy said a girl (predicted son and all my friends right too!). Ultrasound two days ago confirmed it was a girl - very definitely a girl and very definitely no boy bits! But agree, there is a 50% chance of getting it right so even if your toddler was right, people would 'burst your bubble' and say it was a fluke and had to be either right or wrong anyways! If you want to believe toddlers are intuitive then go ahead and believe it and stuff everyone else!

nightshade1 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:29:06

my DS is adamant that this baby is a boy - we will wait and see!

WhyOWhyWouldYou Thu 06-Nov-14 15:21:21

My 2.5yr old has decided "mommys hiding baby ister" and puts his hands on my tummy when he says it. Were not even sure how he knows ive got a baby in there, never mind that its a girl (the sonographer thought it looked like a girl).

yougotafastcar Thu 06-Nov-14 15:26:46

My DS is 2.6years and before we told him I was pregnant he put his head on my belly and said "I listening to the baby" but we figured he just overheard us talking to family! Then he decided baby was a girl, would argue if we said it could be a boy. Luckily it is a girl!

Although when we told him after the scan he said "no its a boy!" So we can't win!

babyblabber Thu 06-Nov-14 16:07:15

My nearly 5 year old and 2 year old are both adamant that in having a boy. Not sure which one started it but the 2 year old gets mad if I say it might be a girl! I just keep saying "or she" when they say he and am careful to use both genders myself when talking about it!

jaykay34 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:29:53

My 11 year old twins were convinced I was having a boy (as were my partner and I).

I did have a boy smile .

fishfingerSarnies Thu 06-Nov-14 16:36:52

My dd would get very cross if I tried to say that the baby could be a girl she is convinced she's getting a brother. Scan says she is right.

Pifflingcodswollop Thu 06-Nov-14 19:41:45

My DD was totally convinced our second was a little brother,have him a name and everything,told everyone it was a boy.We didn't know, but it turned out she was right!She so far seems more convinced this one is a girl,but not as adamant as last time.I'm actually having a gender scan in a week or so so will find out then,first time I will actually find out before the birth as other two were both surprises.

PontypineNumber9 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:46:49

My 21 month old DD has started saying that I'm having a girl baby. We don't know the sex so will have to wait and see (although I think she's right!).

Debbylou Thu 06-Nov-14 22:04:37

Thanks ladies it does seem like they do have some sort of intuition with this sort of thing , having a private gender scan soon so we will know if he is right but i do think he is, i have a feeling myself that this is a little girl

happypotamus Fri 07-Nov-14 08:49:24

My DD1 is 3.5yrs old and told everyone she was having a baby sister. Fortunately, she was right. She now tells us she is happy that her wish came true (although 12 day old DD2 has not always lived up to her expectations of a fun baby sister!). Every single other person who expressed an opinion on the sex while I was pregnant said it would be a boy. I just reasoned that everyone had a 50% chance of being right, and DH and I had no interest in finding out before the birth.

kahori Fri 07-Nov-14 08:54:54

My dd was 2.5 when dd2 was born. She was convinced from the start that the baby was a girl. And she was right! Lucky guess I say and wishful thinking on her behalf.

There is a funny Little Princess book called I Want A Sister.

Schlobbob Fri 07-Nov-14 10:25:06

This is all very interesting to read, my 4 year old son is convinced baby is a girl, we had a 9 week scan and showed the boys the baby on screen and we said "DS1, that's your baby brother or sister". He replied, " it's a girl, its a sister" and has told us to name it after his favourite girls from school. He really does want a sister! He's so sweet, he has a scan picture on his bedroom wall!

Syd35 Fri 07-Nov-14 13:08:27

This is a sweet thread.

Well DS says he would like a brother but whenever he refers to bump he says "she" and then I say so you think it's a girl and he say whoops I mean "it" makes me chuckle every time. Funnily enough a couple of others have referred to bump as "she" also which is interesting.

We are currently deciding whether to find out the gender as liked the element of surprise last time smile

BaffledSomeMore Fri 07-Nov-14 13:22:42

At 3 I decided my dm's bump was a boy. Announced the name too. Told a lady in Mothercare that if it was a girl then Mummy could leave it at the hospital.
Fortunately db arrived and was given the nice normal name I'd picked because my parents couldn't agree on any other name.

LizzieMint Fri 07-Nov-14 13:25:52

My then-3 year old told our childminder that I was having a black baby (both myself and H are decidedly white) made from nuts and seeds. At least yours has narrowed it down to an actual baby!

Schlobbob Fri 07-Nov-14 13:40:56

Yes I can't decide whether I want to know this time, we didn't find out for DS1 & 2 but a huge part of me really wants to know this time, but I wouldn't want to tell everyone! got 4 weeks til 20 week scan

ILiveOnABuildsite Fri 07-Nov-14 18:58:07

My dd ( nearly 3) is convinced we are having a girl. She tells me off if I speak about the baby, she says "it's not a baby mummy, it's a sister". We have 4 weeks to go before 20 week scan so we'll hopefully know soon enough.

A friend has recently had a boy and apparently her 3 year old dd always knew and said they were having a boy. So yes I reckon some children just know.

Lazymama2 Fri 07-Nov-14 19:03:52

Dd told everyone my baby was a boy called "holly"! Dont worry about it.

Minty82 Fri 07-Nov-14 19:09:09

DD was adamant DS was a girl (they're exactly two years apart). Her intuition's clearly wonky!

WerewolfBarMitzvah Fri 07-Nov-14 19:14:06

So cute.

When DM was pregnant, I was 3 and convinced it was a boy.

It was. But I cried, saying I wanted a sister.
hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now