Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If 12 week scan done pre 11 weeks will it need to be redone?

(18 Posts)
hullabaloo234 Thu 06-Nov-14 10:20:29

Hello all! I am pregnant again immediately following a MC on 21st September so going by that date I am 9+3 but I have longer cycles anyway so believe more likely 8+3 but possibly less given the MC. My scan date has been booked for what on paper will be 12 weeks exactly but I know this can't be right, so if I'm only 10/11 weeks will I have to go back again? Thanks in advance for your help! smile

ChickenMe Thu 06-Nov-14 11:03:42

I think the issue would be with the nuchal translucency. I had mine at 11+4 which my hospital said was the absolute earliest they could do it and be assured of getting an accurate result on the NT. On the day the sonographer said if the baby is not a certain size then they cannot give an accurate NT reading. Mine was just big enough and my dates were watertight.
Could you phone them up, say your dates are wrong and reschedule? At the first scan they do look at some risk areas such as nasal bone and the heart and you won't get an accurate synopsis although I assume they'd still do your bloods.
Some hospitals are trialling Harmony testing for anyone with a risk factor of less than 1:2500. Basically it's Medway, Kings and UCH afaik so if that's one of yours and the testing is important to you then it could matter.
Sorry about your MC. Hope it all goes well and you get some answers from the Hosp about the scan.

TheHappyCamper Thu 06-Nov-14 11:13:10

With dd my 12 week scan was at 10w5d due to a previous miscarriage and I was in pain. I was quite surprised I wouldn't get another until 20w and it was a long wait! So, no, you probably won't get another 12w scan - it's just for dating really isn't it.

Sorry about your miscarriage also x

(Not sure about the nuchal thing as they don't do that in my area).

hullabaloo234 Thu 06-Nov-14 11:29:07

Hello ladies, thank you for getting back to me. I will give them a call and see if I can rearrange for a week or two later to make sure NT measurements and blood tests are aas accurate as they can be. Hope your both ok and your pregnancies are going well smile xx

SomeSunnySunday Thu 06-Nov-14 12:09:59

I measured 10+6 at my "12" week scan this time around (was very unclear on dates), and yes, they repeated it a week later as said that I needed to measure 11+ weeks for it to "count" (I declined the nuchal test so this can't have been the only reason).

A week later I measured 12+4.

hullabaloo234 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:49:24

Oh that's interesting! Perhaps I won't worry too much then and just go, then if they need to see me again go back. Anxious to just see if the baby is ok, as I declined an early scan at 7 weeks for reassurance, figured it might reassure me for a day or too but then would just stress until 12 weeks anyway so we opted not to go for it. Thanks again for your help smile x

naty1 Thu 06-Nov-14 17:35:57

Was going to say i would prob have hone for early scan as chance of mc is less after heartbeat. But youre probably right, if you arent 100% of the dates you could have gone too early and worried yourself

September60b Thu 06-Nov-14 18:01:17

At my 12 weeks scan it turned out I was only 10+1 so I had to go back again at 12 weeks for the nt testing. I didn't mind having an extra scan. Having had a mc previously it was nice to get the extra reassurance smile

Congratulations x

catnip85 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:12:38

I had NT at 11+3 and baby was only just big enough- the midwife measured him/her about 3 times to get it to stretch out (baby was curled up asleep!)
The NT results came back low risk luckily but I'm looking fwd to seeing baby again in a few weeks

KatoPotato Thu 06-Nov-14 18:28:36

I had my 12wk scan on Monday, at 12+4. Baby would not settle in the right position for NT and dating, has to be in a very specific position. So I was sent for a walk, a wee, a drink, a jump, another wee, another bounce (with rescans in between!) if baby had not have got into right position they'd have made me come back in a week or so, but before 14 something! But her tenacity paid off and we got everything ok! Nt with bloods taken so fx everything ok x

Congrats to you x

LIG1979 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:35:30

It does depend on hospital policy. With some if you are too early for the nuchal test you miss it. With this pregnancy ds didn't behave with the 12 week scan and after 2 goes they said they don't re - schedule it but instead had to come back at 15 weeks for a dating scan and quad test. hmm Still not sure why they didn't just bring me back a week later but it was hospital policy.

naty1 Thu 06-Nov-14 20:02:00

Just to say if anyone has the issue of the PP where they couldnt get baby in position. We had the same and in the end i said 'what about an internal scan' which worked
Did you try that as well LIG?
I then had trouble getting a blood sample and they nearly had to give up on that

LadyNovember Thu 06-Nov-14 21:54:19

I turned out to be 10+2 at my "12 week" scan which was too early for the NT screening. I had a second scan a couple of weeks later.

purplebiro Thu 06-Nov-14 22:21:32

Just to second LadyNovember - I was scanned at 9+1 because we had a lot of confusion around dates (thought we might be 13) and have another now booked for 12 so they can do NT screening.

hullabaloo234 Fri 07-Nov-14 07:04:54

Firstly concongratulations all of you with your pregnancies! I guess we'll just have to wait and see how far I actually turn out to be at that point and then see if we are asked to come back or just wait until 20 weeks and rely on bloods for testing. As long as my baby is there and his/her heart is beating away when I go I don't mind either way! I'm excited but so anxious all at the same time! Thanks again.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 07-Nov-14 07:17:55

I had mine at 11 + 5 and had to go back the following week as they couldn't get the nuchal fold measurement.

hullabaloo234 Fri 07-Nov-14 09:28:32

It's looking likely then that if I'm not as far along as I need to be I may need to go back. Work are really flexible and although my DP is in the forces he is based locally at the mo so can come at short notice too. My DD is 7 now so a long time since I had a dating scan so can't for the life of me remember how long it takes. 10 mins maybe?!

LadyNovember Sat 08-Nov-14 22:01:05

Yeah, once you're actually in there, between 10-15 minutes i'd say.

If it is too early, it's nice to get a cheeky second scan..plus it's amazing how much they change in a couple of weeks. I just had a scan on Friday at 16+1 and it's honestly mesmerising the difference from 10+2 and 12+4!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now