Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Large subchorionic haematoma bleeding again in second trimester

(12 Posts)
NoRoomForALittleOne Thu 06-Nov-14 06:55:09

I was diagnosed with a subchorionic haematoma at 9+2 and told it was large when scanned at 13+1. I started bleeding again last night at 15 weeks with intermittent pain overnight.

Any idea what should happen today when I phone the EPU? I only ask because the local hospital is in special measures for their obstetric care and I can see why given how my care has been so far sad

Also any stories, encouraging or otherwise, would be appreciated.

purpleteapig Thu 06-Nov-14 10:42:47

Hi there, i had a haematoma in the first trimester and had v heavy bleeding several times until I was about 13 weeks. I found my EPU extremely stressful as it would entail hours of waiting each time, so on the 3rd occasion it happened I decided to get a private scan. Is that an option for you?
Otherwise I think you'll have to go to the EPU as they'll want to check you out and scan you to see what's happening.
I'm now 27 weeks now and have been fine since, so fingers crossed it will be the same for you.

NoRoomForALittleOne Thu 06-Nov-14 12:56:25

I saw them but they refused to scan because they heard the heartbeat and they wouldn't do anything even if things do look bad. I'm cross because it would help me prepare mentally if it is obvious that the gestational sac is compromised and also I could be losing quite a lot of blood in to a haematoma. I have been told though that a large haematoma + repeated bleeding = high risk of pre-term birth if I get to 24 weeks. sad

Pifflingcodswollop Thu 06-Nov-14 20:31:45

I had/have an sch. I am really surprised they didn't scan,I had a bleed a few weeks ago and they were able to tell me the SCH had reduced in size,that the bleed was the SCH coming away as it were.There is still some there but the baby is doing fine.My bleed was around your stage and I am now 17 weeks and due another scan in a week.Have they booked you in for extra appointments with a consultant or anything to keep an eye? This would be quite normal procedure I'm told.
I was told to rest as much as possible and no heavy lifting,vigorous exercise etc. Hard with two other little ones here but seem to be doing ok so far,hope all goes well,it can be so frightening and doctors not recognising your perfectly valid concerns do not help that. I would keep pushing for another scan as it isn't unreasonable to ask them to check up on baby.

NewEraNewMindset Thu 06-Nov-14 20:34:16

NoRoom could you afford a private scan?

NoRoomForALittleOne Thu 06-Nov-14 20:42:36

I have consultant led care so have extra scans/appointments anyway but not until 24-26 weeks. I could pay for a scan but I don't know where I would find a reputable company and when I looked previously, it was about an hours drive to the nearest company (we live in South Cumbria if anyone has any ideas).

The attitude here is very much that they don't really care until the baby is viable as they won't do anything anyway. I can see their point in some ways but it's totally heartless. I can't help wondering what on earth I'm supposed to do if I miscarry at home. And the thought of having a premmie at this hospital confused

NewEraNewMindset Thu 06-Nov-14 20:48:04

Could your midwife push for a scan for you? It does seem pretty mercenary to just leave you alone and bleeding with no idea if the baby is safe or not. I think you need to start talking about your mental health and that you have been left frightened and need more answers.

NoRoomForALittleOne Thu 06-Nov-14 21:35:15

The midwife said that she would phone me back to find out how I got on so hopefully she'll call tomorrow. I'm toying with the idea of complaining about my care so far on this ward anyway and trying to get a compassionate response from them but I'm bothered about complaining when I'm still under their care.

purpleteapig Fri 07-Nov-14 16:24:35

How did it go, NoRoom - did your mw call you back? I really hope she's managed to organise a scan for you. The consultants are quite doom and gloom - at least that's what I found with mine - but I know several women who have suffered this and then had healthy pregnancies. Fingers crossed for you.

NoRoomForALittleOne Fri 07-Nov-14 16:28:58

No, she didn't call. I know a few people as well but they had small SCH and bleeding only in the first trimester which is usually associated with a good outcome. I've had pain on and off all day sad

NoRoomForALittleOne Fri 07-Nov-14 16:30:30

And thank you for asking.

Any idea how I find a private company that can do a proper evaluation of the haematoma not just a straightforward dating/sexing scan?

purpleteapig Fri 07-Nov-14 16:37:50

I'm not an expert but I think a lot of private companies have a sonographer and consultant, so I would call any near you, explain the situation and ask if they able to properly assess the issue. Another option is a private hospital which has a scanning unit - I went to one near me and the consultant was great, really professional and reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now