Talk

Advanced search

Private birth or Pembury?

(7 Posts)
Azrael01 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:27:08

hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm pregnant with dc1 and I've suffered with anxiety/depression for the past couple of years. I'm pretty nervous about the birth and I'm trying to work out the pros and cons of a private birth vs. NHS. I'm looking at this from really just a safety of mum/baby perspective. I'm not really fussed about the room etc - although would prefer my own room. My local hospital is pembury and they have private rooms anyway.

What would be the benefits of going to a private maternity ward in an NHS hospital (especially since Pembury has private rooms)? Are you just paying for the room? I have ruled out Portland due to lack of emergency/facilities that would be at a private NHS ward.

Also, since I'm based Tunbridge Wells - it's quite a distance to the local private wards which all appear to be in London? Is it not realistic if I were to suddenly go into labour?

Thanks for your help

ChickenMe Wed 05-Nov-14 22:48:58

Hi
I havent been in your situation but have heard only good reports about Pembury from people who wished they'd gone there and not to Maidstone. We would have chosen it but Medway is closer. Have you been to have a look or know anyone who has been there?
What do you hope will be the benefits of going private? Is it cos it seems less conveyor belt and less boisterous?
To me the idea of having to go up town would make me mega anxious - would you be relying on trains or someone driving? I'd worry about Rush hour etc. london can be quite stressful and after the birth you may prefer to be closer to home and not have a long journey?

BonaDea Wed 05-Nov-14 22:55:45

I think if your concern is standard of medical care and the reassurance of emergency support you can't get better than the NHS. The vast majority of expertise is NHS born and bred.

If you want a nicer 'patient experience', food, facilities etc, go private.

Newmom2b Thu 06-Nov-14 07:23:56

I had ds1 at pembury and it was great. Dd due in Jan and no hesitations about pembury again.
The post natal ward was great, private rooms, ensuite etc and the car was great too. Good luck x

Newmom2b Thu 06-Nov-14 07:24:22

The care lol

SilverStars Thu 06-Nov-14 07:52:14

What would make the difference for me is the quality of care, number of staff I would see and attention. My NHS birth was all of those things - what the NHS had little time for was anyone to see me after birth. I was in hospital for 3 days and apart from a nurse giving me medication 4 times a day, a volunteer breast feeding person who came when I was half-asleep I did not see anyone. The cleaners were in my room more often. Some help with breast feeding, to lift the baby after my c-section or to reassure me would have been helpful but no staff to do that. Sent home at 11pm at night to a freezing cold house in winter as they needed the bed was not the best - if I could choose I would go for private aftercare.

skyra13 Thu 06-Nov-14 08:16:48

I am currently looking into pembury my self as its the only choice for me part from Maidstone birthing center, im thinking of just going with pembury just so if something does happen i don't need to be put in an ambulance and have a 30min drive to pembury!
I'd never been to pembury up until a few days ago, my dad was taken ill and taken there i can not fault the staff all be very kind and well looked after and the rooms are perfect everything you need!
At the end of the day we for the NHS so why not use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now