Talk

Advanced search

Clexane ��

(12 Posts)
ZaraLav234 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:53:09

Does anybody have tips for injecting clexane? Ive been told to do it on my thighs but still getting bad bruises! I also expected to bleed but im not, it that normal? Is there anyway to do it wrong so that it doesnt work incase im doing that?

OfficeNewGirl Wed 05-Nov-14 19:57:45

I remember these injections!

Used to sting. I had them in my arm

bakingtins Wed 05-Nov-14 19:59:18

I found my stomach best ( but thighs fine if that suits you). Ice the area first with a bag of peas, slide the needle in at a 45 degree angle and inject slowly, leaving the needle in place while the drug disperses a bit, then withdraw. Ice again afterwards. I got on much better sliding the needle into a pulled taught area of skin, not pinching a fold. The one time I tried a fold I had a 6" bruise. As long as you deliver it just under the skin it'll work fine.
I'm not sure what you mean re expecting to bleed? It might slow your clotting response if you cut yourself or male you bruise more than you otherwise would, but you shouldn't bleed spontaneously.

SeptemberBabies Wed 05-Nov-14 19:59:30

I do them in my stomach. I'm post-delivery though. Perhaps not a good place if still pregnant.

ReadyForDinner Wed 05-Nov-14 20:00:15

Hello. I'm a nurse and give this drug several times a day. You are looking to give the drug under the skin rather than a vein or muscle so just go in at a 45 degree angle to the skin and inject. I would usually give in the tummy but thighs or arm are all fine. Its normal to get some bruising it is after all a blood thinner but you wouldn't usually get blood at the injection site, as I say its going just under the skin not in a vein. smile

tannyLoo Thu 06-Nov-14 07:52:09

I did mine in the stomach too, below my bellybutton and over to the sides. My tips are:

Wipe the end of the needle off before using, as it will hurt and bruise much more if there are droplets on the end.

Test for a site that won't hurt too much by using the tip of the needle. Some places seem much more bearable than others.

Take your time, do everything at your own pace, rather than get it over with quickly. As baking says, leave the needle in for a few seconds to let it disperse before pulling it out. Inject as slowly as you can manage.

Give yourself a quite bit of time, and a treat after you've done, and don't move around for a few minutes after.

I had one bruise the size of a 50p piece, but the rest of mine were lentil sized or none at all. Good luck, and a means to an end!

rubyboo2 Thu 06-Nov-14 08:11:16

Please only accept medical advice . I was a nurse .
If you inject near your belly button it has to be 5 cm away . You should alternate the injection site .
Do not wipe the end of the needle as this can lead to sharps injuries and makes no difference to bruising or pain .
You will find it a doddle soon . smile x

tannyLoo Thu 06-Nov-14 08:16:09

Sorry, to clarify, yes, away from the bellybutton, and wipe on the end of the cover of the needle not on your skin.

tannyLoo Thu 06-Nov-14 08:16:36

And it made a massive difference.

shroomboom Thu 06-Nov-14 09:28:01

I did it in my tummy whilst pregnant, it was fine. Don't like the idea of having to do it in your thigh, it must hurt!

Katnipp Thu 06-Nov-14 09:28:20

On clexane at the moment. Find tummy much easier - as above and per instructions away from belly button and any scars (I hve existing cs scar). Tried thigh but hurt so much and bruised a lot more. But everyone is different friend on this does in her thighs as tummy hurts and bruises more.

Longdistance Thu 06-Nov-14 09:32:49

I didn't use it whilst pg, but when I broke my leg.

I injected it into my thighs, and didn't like the thought of putting it in my tummy.

Try pinching the skin, so there's a mountain to inject into. I used to hold my breath, as it used to hurt like crazy. Luckily I can pinch more than an inch on my thighs smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now