Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eating too much first trimester to counteract nausea

(8 Posts)
dietcokeisgreat Wed 05-Nov-14 19:28:30

I saw my GP today - 8w - as last week had an early scan due to ongoing pain and she wanted a check in tofappday. Pain turned out to be a haemorrhagic ovarian cyst which they are keeping an eye on. Was a single intrauterine pregnancy.

Anyway, i had put on 2kg already. ( since 2w ago). I'm sure its because from about 2pm i feel incredibly sick and keep eating bland carbs to reduce it. I had anorexia in my teens ( stable for years) and still freak out a bit about my weight, although it has been healthy for a decade or so. In my first pregnancy apparently gained about 13kg overall, but none til after 12 wks. That felt fine and normal. I didnt have this nausea last time. I've almost been sick/ gagged a few times but no actual vomiting, so i am lucky s far on that front.

Fancying things like toast, pasta with mild sauces, crisps, crackers, apples sometimes, potato waffles, jacket pots. Basically nothing too strongly flavoured or that smells.

Anyone been through this and not balloon up? 2kg obv not a great deal but a kilo a week from now on might be problematic and i am concerned i will get freaked out.

Reassurance / general advice welcome.

dietcokeisgreat Wed 05-Nov-14 19:29:11

Tofappday = today.

Typing on ipad issues. Apols.

confusedandemployed Wed 05-Nov-14 19:31:29

I put on about 45% of all my pregnancy weigh in the first tri. I just could not stop eating - I was both hungry, but also nauseous - which eating would cure.
I won't say it came off just as easily, because 20 months after the birth here I am still with the extra stone. But I'm not sure I could have got through it without eating.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Lulu3108 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:36:05

Hello, I am about 6-7 weeks myself and I am the same as you can't stop eating lol to shift the sickness I find anything greasy or fried doesnt make me feel good so I like marmite on toast or a banana lol x

ChickenMe Wed 05-Nov-14 23:00:43

I was the same in the first trim then I lost my appetite at 13w and ended up losing weight. I couldn't eat big meals, just grazing. At about 15w I was like yay I love food again but the past week I'm back to feeling sick and disliking food apart from basic stuf (18w).
Just go with it as it will all even out and your body knows what to do.
First trimester is crazy. So much work being done in your body that is why you might sometimes feel very hungry. The nausea is so awful you just have to do what works!

dietcokeisgreat Thu 06-Nov-14 15:37:59

Thank you folks! Will hope it goes off.

capecath Thu 06-Nov-14 16:12:35

I would also say just go with it. Doesn't sound like you are being unhealthy about it. I found snacks tended to mean my meals were a bit smaller and now at week 21 it has all levelled off again (although still bit hungrier, at least I feel I can be more picky with snacks). I would also add though, please try not to worry about it too much.... Just keep up the balanced diet. Your body changes so much when you're pregnant but that's part of the beauty of being a mommy- these things seem to matter less.... You'll have plenty of time to get back into shape after baby arrives. X

Sarahg1 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:56:50

I put on about 5lb in the first 8-10 weeks, but haven't gained any since and I'm now 15 weeks. Depite eating pretty constantly, and mosty eating junk - never felt really nauseous but have found that even being peckish makes me feel a bit queasy. I'm hopeful that it'll even out over the coming months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now