Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it safe to use a photopcopier/scanner at work?

(14 Posts)
sarah00001 Wed 05-Nov-14 18:08:03

Hello, I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant. At work, I regularly have to photocopy and scan documents. I'm concerned about whether this is safe during pregnancy or whether it could harm my feotus. Can anyone advise?

Thank you, Sarah

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 05-Nov-14 18:09:59

NHS certainly don't advise against it.

plantsitter Wed 05-Nov-14 18:11:58

I'm fairly sure it's absolutely fine. But when you tell work they will have to do a health and safety assessment for your pregnancy so if you're worried you could tell them now.

Sleepyhoglet Wed 05-Nov-14 19:30:23

I wouldn't recommend scanning your bump!

purplemurple1 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:36:25

I do health and safety assessments and it's not something I've heard is harmful.
I'd assume being on your feet for long periods, manual handling and poor seating are more likely to be of concern for you in an office environment.

RumAppleGinger Wed 05-Nov-14 20:11:43

Photocopying and scanning are both included in my job description. I'm 37 weeks with my second and have never been advised against it and my employer is shit hot with their pregnancy risk assessments. If there was any danger it would definitely have been flagged by now.

naty1 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:17:49

I think its probably fine.
I was 20wks when they moved my desk and printer next to me. I sat there 1 day then refused due to particles released not being good for you. Dont think youre supposed to sit within x metres
My boss was next to useless i got very upset and ended up moving round the office when people were off. It wasnt even supposed to be there but in like a booth. Luckily someone else moved for me. Stupid reorganisation.
This then set the tone for useless boss during mat leave

sarah00001 Thu 06-Nov-14 11:28:22

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Naty1, you mentioned that you shouldn't sit within x metres of a printer.

I have my own office and have a printer behind me probably less than a metre away. It doesn't get used much as it's just me who uses it, but I'm worried now about breathing in particles. Do you think I should stop using it?

Thanks, Sarah

foxyfemke Thu 06-Nov-14 12:40:44

Don't worry about it. A printer is an electrical device like any other and is perfectly safe. Unless you work in an environment with lots of chemicals like a lab or radiation, you're absolutely fine...

naty1 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:06:23

I was only concerned really as it was a main printer for around 50 staff, going every few minutes.

I think it was also the type of printer maybe- laser ones.
But then i also have asthma so worried about my/baby's lungs a lot anyway.

I think there are minor risks with anything. I just thought with my breathing issues already and pg it was silly to be put there.

mausmaus Thu 06-Nov-14 14:13:12

incjet printer are fine.
laser printers leave a fine dust in the air and might be a problem long term. that's why ideally they should be in a separate room.
but unless you print all day long, sheet after sheet you should be fine.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Thu 06-Nov-14 15:25:10

Where I used to work they had those big Xerox printers and pregnant people were told they were fine to use them but not to change cartridges because they could leave a black dust on you that was apparently bad for you.

sarah00001 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:33:29

Unfortunately mine is a laserjet, not an inkjet. It doesn't get used that much, but I'm still a bit worried.

JennyBlueWren Thu 06-Nov-14 20:55:32

No problem for pregnant women but men should not change the toner of the photocopier as it can lead to infertility!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now