Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Excess fluid

(5 Posts)
Sp1rals Wed 05-Nov-14 16:47:31

Am 21 weeks and just has anomaly scan. Consultant says there is a lot of fluid around baby, more than normal. Had to leg it fairly quickly so didnt get to ask questions, scared of google and over active imagination. Anybody had this?

Sp1rals Thu 06-Nov-14 23:57:53

Anybody?

mrslol Fri 07-Nov-14 00:13:23

I was diagnosed with this on my due date as my baby's head wasn't engaged. The only major issue was the risk of cord prolapse (don't google it!) but I'm sure they'll give you more information closer to your due date.

It can be linked to a bigger problem (diabetes?) but from what I read most of the time there is no reason for it. I didn't have any side effects or complications from it apart from the baby's head not engaging. I did have a long labour (but don't know if this was to do with the extra fluid or would have happened anyway). I did have to have my waters broken and it was spectacular! Hope that helps a bit.

Sp1rals Fri 07-Nov-14 00:20:41

Thanks mrslol, I have had big babies and v long labours. I wonder if it's diabetes will a change to diet reduce the fluid? Def not googling prolapse, made that mistake with something else and freaked myself out.

mrslol Fri 07-Nov-14 00:35:04

No bother!! I googled and googled because it was my first pregnancy and the whole thing freaked me out for no reason! Since I didn't get diagnosed until quite late I didn't really ask about reducing the fluid but that might be worth asking the midwife about.

Also, although my bump was massive by the end, I had quite a small baby. No idea if it was related to the extra fluid or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now