Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and employment rights

(9 Posts)
Newcy Wed 05-Nov-14 16:22:25

Hi,

I don't know if I am being overly sensitive or if I am right to be upset.

I am 7 weeks 3 days pregnant and I told my boss 2 weeks ago out of courtesy. Since then he has made daily comments about me not wanting to return to work after having my baby. He says that legally he cannot ask what my intentions are however I have made abundantly clear I intend to come back. He has asked me publicly how much my dh earns and stated that we could live off his wage! He has made reference about who may apply for my job! I am beginning to feel pressured into not going back. Am I being hormonal or is he out of line?

Thanks

foxyfemke Wed 05-Nov-14 16:42:48

He is WAY out of line. Does he have a manager you can report his behaviour to?

Newcy Wed 05-Nov-14 17:16:03

Thank you! I wasn't sure if I am just super sensitive! I have now reported it!

Lunastarfish Wed 05-Nov-14 17:25:28

Raise a grievance, keep a diary of all comments.

BilboTheAlmighty Wed 05-Nov-14 17:35:28

He's way out of order. Well done for not tolerating such comments.

Life2012 Wed 05-Nov-14 17:50:07

Make a formal complaint to HR be good to have a witness aswell if your boss made those comments in public! He's way out of line- an employment tribunal will find him guilty of sexual discrimination!!

18yearsoftrying Wed 05-Nov-14 17:58:02

I was in a similar situation. It ended up in the legal team of my house insurance policy paying for a legal case & I won.

You need to keep a written record from the start. Keep ALL emails regardless as to whether they seem insignificant or not.

Try not to engage in conversation with him when he instigates it but if you have to, put this in your diary too.

Hopefully you be ok but my employer at the time (by HER!! own admission) thought I was naive enough to take unfair dismissal & pregnancy discrimination as a given.

Good luck with your pregnancy xx

KentExpecting Wed 05-Nov-14 18:03:43

Absolutely out of line... I'm furious on your behalf!

Newcy Wed 05-Nov-14 18:23:43

Thank you so much everyone! Been really stressed about it! I have a witness and have logged at a senior level! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now