Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Signs that baby is breech?

(11 Posts)
SomeSunnySunday Wed 05-Nov-14 14:37:54

I'm just idly wondering... I'll ask my midwife next week for a definitive (or as definitive as possible!) medical opinion.

DC2 was breech, and I'm starting to wonder if DC3 also is. I'm 34 weeks. My bump is all out front but flattish (if that makes sense - not a "football"shape). I have something wedged under my ribs at the right hand side, which bobs about and sometimes moves over towards the left. I don't feel the whole of baby moving when this happens, just this part (which I assume is either a head or a bottom). I don't feel strong kicks at all, anywhere, just wriggles. I feel all of baby's hiccups at the top of my bump, where the head / bottom "thing" is.

Do these sound like signs of a breech baby? I honestly can't remember how I felt last time round, it's been a couple of years.

Jodie1982 Wed 05-Nov-14 15:16:10

Sounds Posterior to me, as you mentioned the flat bit, is that flat from ur belly button downwards? I was posterior with most of mine and had the flat bit there, never perfectly rounded. Posterior is more Back to Back.

BananaPie Wed 05-Nov-14 19:22:30

I feel the hiccups at the bottom of the bump at 30 weeks, and know for a fact that the baby is head down. Also feel lots of movement that is obviously limbs moving about near the top of the bump.

SomeSunnySunday Wed 05-Nov-14 21:03:37

Thanks. I think the hiccups might be a giveaway. I'm fairly sure it's not OP, as DC1 was and I remember feeling almost painful kicks and punches, whereas this time I'm not really aware of any limb movements at all, or at least only very vaguely.

basgetti Wed 05-Nov-14 21:14:15

Hi I'm 33+3 and my baby is currently breech. I have a very hard abdomen high up and it goes soft lower down towards my pelvis and no kicks or limbs poking out, just a big mass that shifts a bit in shape and is very uncomfortable. I hope you get an answer soon!

Pico2 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:16:27

I felt hiccups at the top of my bump with DD, but she wasn't breech. So I'm not convinced that is a sign.

SomeSunnySunday Wed 05-Nov-14 21:21:43

Hmm, I think I need professional opinion! Bump is soft at the bottom though, and hard at the top with a very easy to feel "ball". I don't know. It's academic anyway, as I've had 2 c-sections so will almost certainly have a 3rd either way, I'm just interested mainly. Thanks for the replies!

TinyMonkey Thu 06-Nov-14 10:12:55

Mine's been breech since 20 weeks, now 35. I get kicks very low down on the right hand side because it's kind of side on and facing to the right. I do have a flat bit in the middle, but also in the last few weeks have been getting a lot of squirmy movements across my middle where I suspect it's shoulders are.

TinyMonkey Thu 06-Nov-14 10:13:34

Oh I should say that I know it's still breech because I've been have fortnightly growth scans since 28 weeks as well.

sophie150 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:06:50

I've been breach since 28 weeks (now 37)
I've been able to feel the head (hard ball shape as you describe) for quite a while and it's made my tummy quite tender when the head hasn't changed position for a few days. Weirdly I have felt hiccuping type movements (very rhythmic) at the bottom of the bump- but it must have been kicking or punching. I've been lucky in that I have had a few scans in the last few weeks for other reasons so have had it confirmed each time - the midwife has never ben that confident either way! Hopefully at 36 weeks they will scan you so you can talk through the options!

SomeSunnySunday Thu 06-Nov-14 16:48:58

Ended up seeing the midwife today as she called, completely by chance, to re-arrange the appointment I should have had next Monday. She had a good feel and also felt that baby is breech (and facing the back). I'm going back in 2 weeks and if still breech then, they'll probably scan - although as I'm booked in for a section anyway, and wouldn't be eligible for ECV, I'm not sure what difference it will make (other than in the event that I go into labour before my section date, I guess).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now