Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early Scan - 5 week and 3 days (give or take)

(8 Posts)
Life2012 Wed 05-Nov-14 13:07:30

Hi ladies

I'm around 5.3 / 5.4 weeks pregnant with my second child. I have been referred for an early scan today - whilst the sonographer agreed I was around 5 weeks she could not see a hearbeat/fetal pole.

We could clearly see a gestational sac and what appeared to be a shaded blob area (the yolk?). The sonographer did not seem surprised that she could not detect a heartbeat and booked me to come back in 2 weeks' time.

Now I'm driving myself crazy sad can anyone relate to this?

Whilst she was scanning me we clearly saw a shaded round area inside the sac and we saw it flickering but the sonographer did not think that was the heartbeat.

Thanks in advance and baby dust to all.

foxyfemke Wed 05-Nov-14 13:21:42

Too early for heartbeat and fetal pole. A pixel on a screen in a sac is all you can see at that stage.

In another two weeks, chances are you'll see a heartbeat and something resembling a grain of rice.

I had scans at 6 and 8 weeks and the difference between them was astounding.

Don't worry, although that's easier said than done.

leanne963 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:23:42

Was the scan an abdominal scan or internal? I had a scan at 5w5d and it showed nothing on the screen and the sonographer was like 'Ooohhh well, thats normal. We can try an internal scan if you want?!' and i was like 'YES' as i am extra nervous about this pregnancy and something did show up on the screen. Very small, a dot if anything and she measured that it was about 2mm in length.
I ended up spotting a little a few days later so went for a scan 6 days later which would have made me 6w4d and the baby was actually measuring 6w6d and was 1cm in size! So it really is amazing how fast the baby can grow, so if you need your reassurance get another one in a week and you will be amazed at the difference :D

Life2012 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:43:43

Thanks leanne they have booked me in for another scan in 2 weeks time - I should be 7.3 weeks by then.

The ultrasound was an abdominal scan - they did not even offer me an internal because what they expected to see they saw.

I was sure that I saw something though but the sonographer dismissed it and just said to come back in 2 weeks time. I just know these are going to be 2 of the longest weeks of my entire life confused.

I have been taking Clearblues test and so far this week they have all been telling me that I'm 3+ weeks (which matches my scan of around 5 weeks) and my test are always nice and dark. So this is a good sign right?

leanne963 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:52:46

Haha Life I completely empathise with you! being patient is not my strong point, but being nervous AND impatient is hell!!! I found out i was pregnant at 3w6d and i am 11w3d now. I can tell you, it is bloody stressful at times. I have already had 3 scans (2 private and one NHS) and another (free) private on in 5 days, i think she felt bad for me ha! But it has helped me get through these long long weeks.
Although getting past the 12 week mark isn't going to mean my worrying will go away lol!
It is a great sign the tests are good and dark, but ive heard the further along your pregnancy you go the hormones could mess up the test and produce a faint line ( I think) so i would say stop taking the tests as to not worry yourself unnecessarily haha!

Life2012 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:57:36

Haha leanne I know you are right - I have 3 tests left (1 clearblue and 2 ICs) and then I will stop smile

Congratulations on approaching the end of your 1st trimester - it must be such a sigh of relief to get past another milestone!

I'm kicking myself for not insisting with the sonographer to look at what I thought was a heartbeat flicker but she was rushing women in and out as they were very busy so I guess it would not have made a difference.

I just hope that everything is ok - we have been waiting 6 months to start this 2nd pregnancy and my son who's 2 has already sensed that something special is happening.

leanne963 Wed 05-Nov-14 15:49:11

Aww bless that is amazing. This is my first, but my dog is very clingy with me at the moment i think she sensed something. lol
It is hard being insistent on things with doctors cause you don't want to be a 'pain'. But glad to hear you will be going back in two weeks :D Keep us updated!!

Life2012 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:21:34

I will do thanks leanne you have given me some reassurance xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now