Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does a busy bump = busy baby?

(45 Posts)
kitkat321 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:50:54

Just wondering if having an active bump results in a more active baby.

I felt my first kicks at 18 + 4 - not just flutter but proper kicks. Since then she's never stopped - she's always on the go and even at 36 weeks enjoys rolling from one side to the other which isn't particuarly nice for me!

She also has hiccups at least twice a day - always first thing in the morning!

From others experience - does this mean I should expect very lively, hyperactive baby *pleasesaynopleasesaynopleasesayno*

thatwhichwecallarose Wed 05-Nov-14 09:58:13

In my experience yes, but I'm guessing the answer is not always!

I had a remarkably still bump and when she was under one she was still like that, whereas a friend had an active bump and a fidgety baby!

Hoggle246 Wed 05-Nov-14 10:00:22

Sorry kitkat, certainly did for me. Hell's bells I've got a livewire on my hands! Kicked like a beast, hiccuped all the time, and has been a very alert and active baby since birth. Now 10.5 months and showing no signs of slowing down! This was only my experience though, no idea whether it's always the case! Good luck with everything and no worries if dd is super active - you'll get used to it and it's fun seeing them so excited about life xx

Cheerfulcharlie Wed 05-Nov-14 10:03:39

In my experience (a very active bump) this did result in a very active baby from the moment he came out (and still now after over 2 years). Sorry!!! On the plus side it makes for lots of fun :-)

Minithemoocher Wed 05-Nov-14 10:05:01

Yes for me too I'm afraid!

Lucked Wed 05-Nov-14 10:07:07

Yes I got a high needs baby after a bump who I thought was going to kick his way out. My second had lovely gentle movements and was a much more relaxed baby.

Swaddling and routine were my life savers.

ThisBitchIsResting Wed 05-Nov-14 10:07:07

DD was breech and always did a weird rhythmic kicking thing on my bladder, like drumming.

She's now nearly 3 and still kicks the same way when she's lying on her back chilling out, drumming little rhythms on the floor smile

She's done it since she was a little baby having her nappy changed, it's like a soothing comfort thing for her. They really do develop their habits and personalities in the womb!

Ihateparties Wed 05-Nov-14 10:07:18

Erm yes sorry

ouryve Wed 05-Nov-14 10:08:35

Well, DS1 was a bouncy bump and went bonkers every time he heard rustling or noises like sellotape being taken off the roll. As he got bigger, and particularly because he stayed back to back, it looked like he was trying to escape, sometimes.

As a baby, he was always seeking out stuff to look at, was fretful in a quiet room and was crawling around on his belly by 4.5 months and pulling himself to standing by 7 months (before he could even sit, unsupported, as he struggled with head control.) He was into everything, pulling stuff on the floor at every opportunity. A very busy baby.

He has ADHD: hyperactivity type and is still very sensitive to loud noises, at nearly 11!

Of course, that's just my experience and doesn't mean that every busy bump will turn out the same.

ouryve Wed 05-Nov-14 10:09:52

And yy to swaddling! It's wonderful.

BookTart Wed 05-Nov-14 10:11:42

I'll cheer you up by saying that I've found the opposite to be the case smile Didn't feel DD move until 28 weeks, and was then in and out for monitoring due to low movement until she arrived.

She came out flailing her arms, and basically hasn't been still since!

lovesmycake Wed 05-Nov-14 10:12:33

Yes for me too, I had a busy bump and have a very active 2yr old, but it's not a bad thing smile He sleeps really well, always has done (probably cos he's shattered from running about) and is a really contented happy little chap just never ever sit's still!

mineymo Wed 05-Nov-14 10:14:22

Another yes.

All through pregnancy, midwives exclaimed "what an active baby!". At 1 day old, midwives exclaimed "what an active baby!". At 2, strangers in the park exclaim "he's a busy bee" and "talks a lot, doesn't he".

I take it as a sign of intelligence and interest in the world, otherwise I will go mad. For the most part it is a lovely trait, I just sometimes wish he would Just Sit Down And Shut Up For 5 Minutes wink. But mostly, it's lovely.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Wed 05-Nov-14 10:15:35

With my first, absolutely. But not the case with my second. She was really feisty in utero but now she's out she's a wonderfully calm, gentle, easy baby smile

vallinnapod Wed 05-Nov-14 10:19:08

I had the opposite with DS. He used to scare the crap out of me with the lack of movement. The only way I knew he was in there most days was a bout of hiccups once a day! He was a chilled baby but the second he could move (he's now 3 and a bit) he hasn't stopped, a real live wire!!

Am PG with a DD now and she does not stop. I can't sit down for more than about 5 mins as she boots me all over the place...was hoping she'd be the chilled one wink

rugbychick Wed 05-Nov-14 10:24:03

I had the same, active baby in pregnancy and 2.7 year old dd that doesn't know the meaning of keeping still!

flipflopsonfifthavenue Wed 05-Nov-14 10:25:43

Reading with interest as am almost 40wks of with dc2 and I swear its a goat in there not a human baby...

Feeling rather worried after all these replies..!!

LegoCaltrops Wed 05-Nov-14 10:27:17

For me, yes. DD was my first pregnancy, I felt her move for the first time at 13 weeks which I believe is quite early... DH could feel her move by placing his hand on my tummy, by 19 weeks. She was a real live wire since birth, she started lifting her head very early, quite high needs, gets bored very easily, early walker & extremely nosy interested in everything, always looking round. But she is very cheerful & bright, very gregarious, & has always been a decent sleeper at night as she doesn't like to nap during the day.

kitkat321 Wed 05-Nov-14 10:28:09

Oh dear - so it sounds like I'm going to be very, very busy then!! I know that DP was apparently very active as a child - used to throw himself out of his cot apparently.

She's having a quiet morning this morning - which means she's maybe only kicked me 30 times in the last hour!

I don't know if swaddling will work with her - every scan we've had she's had her hands up by her head/face - it's also mostly punches that I get rather than kicks!

Gunpowder Wed 05-Nov-14 10:28:42

Yep. wink

Gunpowder Wed 05-Nov-14 10:30:37

I remember reading a thread like this when I was pg was DD and thinking - oh fuck, hope it's not true. it was

spiderlight Wed 05-Nov-14 10:32:32

My bump put on a full performance of Riverdance at least once a day and DS hasn't sat still in the 7 1/2 years since he came out!

Mmmfishandchips Wed 05-Nov-14 10:37:38

Yep one very active dd, I even saw her foot print as she pushed out at my stomach before she was born, still is at 20. She didn't sleep and walked at 9 months and talked equally early.
Ds was so chilled I had to go to hospital for monitoring to make sure he was still there at about 34 weeks. He's still chilled, late walker, late talker, not fond of the out doors, but still got good grades.same as his sis so far.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 05-Nov-14 11:09:27

DS was a super active baby in the womb (made me feel like my insides were constantly bruised), but I don't think he was any more or less active than a lot of other babies I knew. This baby is much quieter and gentler, although I've felt her from very early on, so we'll see.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 05-Nov-14 11:20:14

Did for me! DD was very active inside and now at 12 months never stops. She has barely slept from day 1, she doesn't cry or moan, she just doesn't need a lot of sleep. She's also the happiest baby I have ever known though smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now