Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

feeling exhausted and need advice (early pregnancy)

(8 Posts)
onemiddlefinger Wed 05-Nov-14 08:58:55

I'm about 6 w and feel so tired that everything requires a huge amount of effort. I feel nauseous too, but not too bad yet, so I'm expecting this to get worse (based on last time).
I work full time and have a 2yo DS so hardly get rest during the day, in the evenings I go to bed with him at 7.30-8, wake up at 5 and still feel tried...
I'm quite worried about work as I just can't seem to get anything done and it's only a matter of time when by boss is going to take notice, I really just don't know how to cope.
Have you got any advice for me? How did you get though the day when feeling like this?
Last time I had more flexibility at work and was able to go off for a 30 min nap and this actually helped to feel better, now I don't have that chance anymore unfortunately.

Rockchick1984 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:45:58

Can you book a few days holiday from work? Maybe see if you can take (for example) Wednesdays off for the next few weeks as your DS will still be in childcare and you can rest? Make sure your partner is pulling his weight at the weekends too so you can catch up then.

wigfieldrocks Wed 05-Nov-14 16:18:48

I am now 34 weeks with number three and in the first few weeks of this pregnancy I felt exactly like you. I was so tired I would feel like falling asleep at my desk, it was very difficult. It is a hormone thing though and it will honestly get better after the first 11 weeks or so. I was feeling so tired and actually depressed and lethargic that I told my line manager before the 12 week scan as to be honest I needed her to understand how I was feeling and be forgiving! Take some time off if you can, I coped by taking regular walks in the fresh air and going to bed super early in the evenings. It's horrible at the time but it honestly will soon pass and you'll feel a little mire normal. You have my sympathy, I remember how desperate I used to feel at work.

VintageCherry26 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:35:49

Keep going, you're doing great! Leave any housework that can wait until you feel up to it. I'm 8 weeks tomorrow and my tiredness is definitely wearing off, I really hope yours does too!

Weekipper Wed 05-Nov-14 19:40:00

I'm 15wks, working full time and have a 2yr old, and have felt unbelievably exhausted. I worried about work but in the last 2 weeks have caught up a bit. Not sure more sleep helps me because I've had terrible nightmares induced by pregnancy hormones.
I agree with pp that any mundane task that can wait, let it wait, you'll get more energy in a bit.

babyblabber Wed 05-Nov-14 19:59:44

I'm expecting number 3, also work. Weeks 8-14 I was completely exhausted. I went to bed every night at 8. I actually burst into tears one night coz I was just so drained. DH didn't know what to do with me!

Was actually working weekends too so couldn't even get a nap then. Would that be an option for you? Your DH could take your LO off for a few hours while you sleep.

Other than that I've no advice except that it's normal and it will pass so just get through it, forget housework, cooking etc and just sleep whenever you can.

CeilingThomas Wed 05-Nov-14 21:14:30

Hi, I'm in the same boat. I'm 10 weeks and I have a nearly 3yr old. I've felt horribly nauseous and the exhaustion this time has been unreal. It's a struggle at work and I've had a cold for the last week so at least colleagues think I'm just ill, but its made the fatigue worse. I'm in bed super early (in bed now!) and have abandoned all housework. My husband is doing all the cooking for us, my son is living off fish fingers, waffles and peas! Be kind to yourself and although it may be the last thing you feel like doing, make sure you get some gentle exercise as it can help release endorphins that help with energy levels. A 15min walk over lunch will do wonders. It will pass but I really sympathise with you, sometimes I just want to cry I'm so fed up but then I remind myself it's all for an amazing cause and it'll be a distant memory soon.
Good luck!

TheScenicRoute Thu 06-Nov-14 19:57:57

I used to woof my lunch down in 5 mins flat and then slip off to my car and have a 40 minute nap on the back seat. If I couldn't do this I was as good as useless. Then when I got caught out napping I had to get creative, so I stored a blanket and pillow in the work shower room (which is NEVER used) and I'd nap in there instead.

I would count the hours down from the moment I got in, 10-11am was the worst time for me because it was such a long time until 5pm.

I feel for you. It will get better, but the reality is that it feels like an eternity before 'better' arrives. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now