Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Take time off work because of morning sickness and fatigue?

(8 Posts)
ParsleyCake Tue 04-Nov-14 16:23:43

I feel beyond exhausted, constantly. Even during a four hour shift at work (I'm a shop assistant), combined with the nausea (I don't actually throw up) I just feel like laying down on the floor and crying.

Thing is, pregnancy is sort of self inflicted, and I can't 'infect' others with my nausea, so is it frowned upon to take time off work because of my pregnancy symptoms? I don't want my colleagues to think I'm just pushing my luck. Most of them are older women and also men who have children of their own, so I assume they would know what I'm going through - thing is, did they just carry on with work without faltering! If they did, I might get some dirty looks.

Stillwishihadabs Tue 04-Nov-14 16:30:07

I read your op and thought take the time you need I wish I had in my first pregnancy. However then I read it's a 4 hour shift.....and you are not actually vomiting. Are you doing everything you can to help yourself ? eg: having a snack and a lie down first ? Carrying sweets to suckling on ? it is only 4 hours I would have thought you could cope .

SeptemberBabies Tue 04-Nov-14 16:31:51

There will be some who had an easy pregnancy, or have just forgotten when it's like, that may well look down their nose at you.

There will be others who completely understand.

Have time off if you feel you need to.

I had 8 weeks off in early pregnancy with DC1, signed off for pre-natal depression. However when I look back with the benefit of hindsight now, it was just normal pregnancy exhaustion, not depression. No lesser reason to be off work if it's needed though.

Graciescotland Tue 04-Nov-14 16:46:07

I'm having twins and whilst it's gotten a bit easier now there is no way on earth I could of done a four hour shift of anything at certain points. I think nausea and fatigue is your body's way of saying rest and take it easy. I know my GP wouldn't of hesitated to sign me off.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 04-Nov-14 16:49:40

With my first pregnancy I was ill with nausea n fatigue n didn't take a day off at all. Second pregnancy much worse n by 13weeks I decided I couldn't do it 24/7 nausea lack of sleep n not functioning properly I was signed off for 3.5weeks in the end and did a 2week phased return of 4hrs then 6hrs before my full 8hr days (I only work 4days)

ParsleyCake Tue 04-Nov-14 19:05:32

Thank you guys. It's only a part time shop job but I'm juggling uni at the same time. I feel so wretched, It takes me a full day of lying around just to type up half a page for an essay as I just fall asleep doing the reading, or feel too ill to concerntrate. I'm just so lucky that I don't have so many classes as I am in my last year. If I have a full day to prepare for work (I work evenings usually), it's not so bad, but after half a day of uni, I find it so hard to deal with standing up behind a till for hours. As for shifts which start at 7am, that's when my sickness is the worst and the closest I come to actually throwing up.

I know I'm not actually throwing up, but the constant nausea...I get nothing done around the house, all I can do is sit, as I soon regret getting up and trying to be active. I feel so deprssed at times, sitting in my house trying to study or just sitting around, when I want to be doing things, but don't want to make the nausea worse. I can't remember the last time I cooked a meal for fun, or played with my pets.

N1982 Tue 04-Nov-14 20:16:03

4 hours of standing up isn't easy. I definitely couldn't manage it in my current exhausted state. Don't worry what others think do what's right for you and baby

DrBlondie Tue 04-Nov-14 23:05:32

If you're feeling rubbish, then 2 mins can be too long. I had hyperemesis and wasn't actually throwing up the first time I was hospitalised - didn't mean I wasn't very ill though. I'd suggest to not worry about what other people think and just go with what your body is telling you. Also, have you had your red blood cell count done recently? Crushing tiredness can be a sign of anemia. Hope you feel better soon but be kind to yourself in the meantime. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now