Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy gift for woman I've never met... Help please

(12 Posts)
LittleMissRayofHope Tue 04-Nov-14 14:57:47

Dh's best mate just announced his wife is pregnant.

They met and married in algeria and she has just moved here (about 3 weeks ago) after a lengthy visa approval process. So although they have been married some 2 1/2 years she just arrived and I haven't met her yet. She knows no one other then her husband so I want to extend my friendship and get her a small 'congratulations your pregnant gift' but I have no idea what to get!
Same with a house warming type gift as I don't know her style or likes.

Any suggestions greatly welcomed! Thanks

Pisghetti Tue 04-Nov-14 15:29:43

Maybe some mum-to-be toiletries? John Lewis have some nice (albeit expensive) ones.

LouMum14 Tue 04-Nov-14 15:30:48

You can never go wrong with mothercare gift vouchers, or a mummy to be pamper gift set if you want something specific for her rather than baby.

Awakeagain Tue 04-Nov-14 15:35:26

Was going to say mum to be toiletries too
How about a spa day somewhere that offers mum to be treatments and you could go together - no pressure to talk as you could just be realxing!

juneavrile Tue 04-Nov-14 15:48:42

Nice chocolates or biscuits - pregnant women like food. Or this one does. The pampering stuff I'm less bothered about!

Hedgehogging Tue 04-Nov-14 15:49:32

My sister got me something like this-

www.etsy.com/ie/listing/201074694/sterling-silver-harmony-ball-with?ref=shop_home_active_17

The little bell in it chimes when baby kicks and as you go about your day. It's really sweet despite DP referring to it as my cow bell. Might be a bit expensive/personal though, but just a thought.

chillychicken Tue 04-Nov-14 15:59:34

My Mum got me the Sanctuary Spa mum to be box which I really like.

Housewarming present - I'd get a vase. I love vases and never have enough.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 04-Nov-14 16:01:10

A lovely family I was working for brought me a pot of sanctuary bump cream didn't expect anything but such a lovely kind thought and is the best bump cream I have used (had it in last pregnancy too)

LittleMissRayofHope Tue 04-Nov-14 16:25:46

Yes I had the sanctuary spa mum to be box. Love sanctuary spa!

Thanks ladies. My hesitation is that she is algerian and so muslim and this is her second time in the UK (she was here on a tourist visa for about 1 month) and in unsure whether this is an appropriate gift. A gift is a gift right?
I wanted to make her some biscuits or something but know myself that during pregnancy eating can be tough! Especially the first 12 weeks!

Thanks again.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 04-Nov-14 16:29:32

I say gift vouchers. Then she can buy whatever she wants. Or, something generic like a sweet blanket or gender neutral booties.

Lornacharlotte Tue 04-Nov-14 16:41:59

A Friend also got me a bola like the one @hedehogging described above. Was really touched by such an unusual and thoughtful gift.

RandomFriend Tue 04-Nov-14 16:49:20

The best gift you can give her is to be her friend. She is arriving, pregnant, in a new country. By all means take something along when you meet her - yes, a gift is a gift - but your company - on an ongoing basis if you have the time and assuming that you find you like her - will be the most important gift for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now