Talk

Advanced search

were these things dangerous before finding out I was pg?

(21 Posts)
toffeecrispandacupoftea Tue 04-Nov-14 13:49:18

Just found out I was pregnant! Very excited but having a few concerns over some of the things I did in the last month. Please may I have you thoughts on these:
- I had a dental x-ray (they asked if I was pregnant and I said no)
- Have been having some very hot baths
- Have been taking Bach rescue remedy because I am having trouble sleeping and a couple of the other Bach remedies
- Have taken valerian root before bedtime (for the same reason)

Are these really bad in the scheme of things? Especially worried about the x-ray.

Babiecakes11 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:18:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toffeecrispandacupoftea Tue 04-Nov-14 14:25:51

Thank you.

Yes I will avoid them all now!

Glad to know the bath issue would have been immediate. They just say "avoid" so I struggle with whether some of these things cause problems straight away or some could cause damage to the growing baby.

sleepyhead Tue 04-Nov-14 14:29:16

Dental x rays are very low dose and very focussed. It's a similar quantity of radiation to a short plane journey.

You wouldn't plan to have loads of them while pregnant, but it's not something to worry about.

Gudgyx Tue 04-Nov-14 14:52:56

Before I found out I was pregnant, I had surgery under GA, x rays, drank copious amounts of red bull everyday, and took tramadol everyday. Had hot baths, drunk alcohol, smoked an e-cig. The poster child for what not to do when you're pregnant.

Currently at 24 weeks and baby is kicking away, no harm done to her, which I'm relieved about! I didnt find out I was pregnant until 12 weeks, and stopped it all right away!

Most woman do things they're not supposed to before they know they're pregnant, try not to worry about it now.

toffeecrispandacupoftea Tue 04-Nov-14 15:39:29

Thank you. I should probably relax a bit.

weeblueberry Tue 04-Nov-14 15:46:06

The hot bath thing was a massive surprise to me last time and I spent the last four months having ridiculously tepid baths! They didn't exactly help the backache which is what they were intended for. hmm

This time I've done a bit more research and for them to actually affect the baby your entire core temperate has to go up by about 2 degrees? Which is really uncommon.

So don't have having freezing cold baths! ;)

kitkat321 Tue 04-Nov-14 16:55:37

As others have said, as long as you stop these things going forward you'll be fine.

I had xrays at the dentist before I knew and practically killed my liver on a very heavy drinking weekend - oh and took some cold and flu medication too.

Now 35+4 and all is fine smile

Oakmaiden Tue 04-Nov-14 16:57:32

Remember in the days before ultrasounds they would actually use xrays to check for multiple pregnancies etc. It is not ideal, as it can cause problems, but mostly it doesn't.

KittyandTeal Tue 04-Nov-14 17:06:11

I had to have an X-ray when I was pregnant last. Was fine, especially if it's not focused on the abdominal area.

This pregnancy I've been having pretty hot baths. I thought the main issue was fainting when getting out. My body temp is no hotter for no longer than a 2 hour gym session I do weekly.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 04-Nov-14 17:08:48

"Dental x rays are very low dose and very focussed. It's a similar quantity of radiation to a short plane journey."

This. My dentist gave me x rays knowing I was pregnant (lead apron as a precaution).

LIG1979 Tue 04-Nov-14 18:31:42

I worked briefly in a radiation protection dept in a hospital and did the analysis for women who had x - rays whilst pregnant. The 1st month or so (up to 6 weeks) the baby is fairly unaffected by x - rays (and alcohol) after that the risk is quite high during weeks 7-12. However the dose is very low - the biggest risk is from say a pelvic CT scan but even a plane x - ray of the stomach does not have much dose. We used to compare it to a stay in Cornwall to reassure them. (Unfortunately I cannot remember how different scans compared to Cornwall.) A dental x - ray would have minimal dose to the baby.

They also do occasionally still x - ray pregnant women if the benefits out weigh the risks. e.g in a bad car accident when there is a severe head injury. But they would try and find a radiation free technique if they could.

Please don't worry or speak to the local radiation protection so they can give you a risk estimate and reassure you.

daisychainmail Tue 04-Nov-14 21:10:12

I am intrigued by this Cornwall business. Is staying in Cornwall dangerous?

LIG1979 Tue 04-Nov-14 21:21:12

No, but the background radiation is much higher down there compared to the rest of the uk but people don't (and shouldn't) worry about holidays or living down there when pregnant so it gives people something to help balance their perception of risk. If you compare an x - ray to a fortnight in Cornwall it should reassure them.

LIG1979 Tue 04-Nov-14 21:23:54

Sorry for the lack of punctuation there!!!

daisychainmail Tue 04-Nov-14 21:28:13

Ah - I never knew that.

FruitBadger Tue 04-Nov-14 21:40:54

Some parts of the UK have higher rates of naturally occurring background radiation levels - Cornwall is one of them grin

FruitBadger Tue 04-Nov-14 21:42:03

Oops, x post! X

Schoolaroundthecorner Tue 04-Nov-14 21:43:48

I had to have an X-ray on a broken ankle when pregnant. 25 weeks I think I was. They covered my bump and back with the apron thing they have. Not a bother on DS anyway.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 04-Nov-14 23:06:53

My MIL had an x-ray at 36 weeks which is how she found out she was carrying twins. As previous poster said, it was what they did in those days. DH and his twin brother are fine!

toffeecrispandacupoftea Wed 05-Nov-14 09:39:21

Thank you all. That is very reassuring. Interesting point about Cornwall!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now