Talk

Advanced search

cholestasis and itching in pregnancy

(4 Posts)
kalidasa Tue 04-Nov-14 12:29:41

I am 28 weeks tomorrow with DS2 and for the last week or so I have noticed that I am quite itchy. I know that itching can be a sign of cholestasis but I thought that tended to be later on? And also the itching is annoying but not at all unbearable, even at night when I notice it more. Did anyone have relatively mild if persistent itching that turned out to be a sign of cholestasis? Or would I be going really mad if it was that?

I have a midwife appointment this week so can ask her, but not seeing my consultant for another few weeks, so just want to know whether I should really be flagging this up or whether it's the sort of thing that can wait a bit. I am v. disabled at the moment and it is a huge effort to get out of the house at all so keen to avoid any unnecessary hospital trips/tests if at all possible!

FelixFelix Tue 04-Nov-14 12:36:57

Mine started later on (around 33/34 weeks) but the itching wasn't as bad as expected. I doubted it was anything serious when the itching started as I thought it had to be extreme itchiness to be cholestasis. Mention it to your midwife when you see her or even better give her a ring before if you can, as it's really worth getting it checked out sooner rather than later.

kalidasa Tue 04-Nov-14 12:59:55

Thanks Felix. Did they end up inducing you for it?

FelixFelix Tue 04-Nov-14 13:04:04

Yes at 37 weeks. I was moved from my original midwives care to the ones at the hospital and had to go in for a blood test every week to monitor my bile acid levels. Also had a scan to test my liver function and an ultrasound to check over dd. I had two lots of tablets to take (which reduced the itching) but I can't remember the names of them. It sounds like a lot of hassle but you should really push to get tested for it just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now