Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slapped Cheek in pregnancy

(10 Posts)
Bothofyou Tue 04-Nov-14 12:21:08

My ds, aged 7, has Slapped Cheek, just back from the doc. My dd, 5, currently isn't showing a rash but has cold symptoms. I am v tired and ali hotly runny nose, but think that is because am 24wks pregnant, teacher (work 3.5 days) and runs round after my dcs!

Paranoid as he'll now tho re the risks in pregnancy, doc has asked for my bloods from my booking app to be tested and I should know by Friday if I was immune prior to pregnancy. If not, I will be tested now to see if I have contracted it and developed the antibodies.

Having googled it am v nervous, so anyone with experience of a Slapped Cheek in pregnancy I would be interested to hear your story. Thanks in advance.

Bothofyou Tue 04-Nov-14 12:21:44

Ali hotly = have a. Honest.

bambi07 Tue 04-Nov-14 12:33:19

Hi Bothofyou I'm a teacher too and am 24 weeks pregnant and I was told by my midwife its highly unlikely I havent already had slapped cheek and therefore immune, due to working with children for so long. My blood test came back as immune as did the other member of staff who had the test at the same time, my mum came to work and did them for us at lunch time (she's my midwife).

I therefore have no experience of actually having slapped cheek during pregnancy but hopefully your profession will have given you immunity, another bonus to working in schools with the continual flow of germs!

Good luck

XXXX

Bothofyou Tue 04-Nov-14 12:39:34

Thanks Bambi, that is great to hear. Just what I need! My doc is testing my booking app bloods, he didn't take them again today. Fingers tightly crossed for results.

LuckyAugust Tue 04-Nov-14 12:44:57

Hi there. Try not too worry. In my last pregnancy there was an outbreak ay my sons nursery and I went into MASSIVE panic overload. I rang the midwife for advice who like Bambi's midwife also said I was more than likely immune. I'm sure she said about 90% of adults have already had it, usually as a child but symptoms are similar to the common cold so wouldn't strike as anything odd. I'm 36 and when I was a child no one had even heard of slapped cheek but apparently its been around for years........ If you didn't have it as a child then you're definitely more than likely to have picked it up because of your profession.

LuckyAugust Tue 04-Nov-14 12:48:12

ps. I was immune (and so were the other 3 pregnant mums with children at the nursery). Please try not too worry. Other thing is my results took a couple of weeks to come back. Not sure if thats normal or not?? x

Bothofyou Tue 04-Nov-14 13:51:38

Thanks Lucky, am enjoying these reassuring tales!

purplefeathers Tue 04-Nov-14 18:20:03

I also had my initial bloods tested after my baby was showing signs of an infection in the womb. The test showed i was immune.

I've no idea when i had it but i know symptoms can be mild or even non existent.

Bothofyou Wed 05-Nov-14 21:22:42

Thanks all. As I have a sore throat etc, hopefully a cold but possibly symptoms of Slapped Cheek, I am still worrying manically. Has anyone actually had slapped cheek during pregnancy and had a healthy baby anyway? Hate this waiting.

Babyh200 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:15:15

Hello BOTH,
Try not to worry. I know quite a bit about it. My husband, son and daughter all contracted this virus whilst I was pregnant. It turned out I WASNT immune and I was worried sick especially since my baby son was stillborn at full term the previous year. I was under consultant care anyway and she explained to me lots about it. Firstly, you have to contract it and even then you may not necessarily pass it on to baby. It can cause a condition known as fetal Hydrops which is very serious. However, it only becomes dangerous when it goes undetected. Remember, as long as your midwife is aware of the condition they can closely monitor baby and if necessary deliver early.
It turned out I finally got a break and didn't contract slapped cheek from my family, even the consultant said it was nothing short of a miracle I didn't get it when all my close family did!
Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now