Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone taken time off for sickness?

(17 Posts)
Sockstealer Tue 04-Nov-14 09:53:00

I'm not as bad as some people, I'm not vomiting all day, I am nauseas all day and night and throwing up if something triggers me which could be eating, brushing teeth, getting up too quickly. I've also caught a bad cough from ds and the coughing is making me throw up.

I've had to phone in sick because I'm so weak and dizzy, my boss sounded absolutely disgusted and pissed off, and I know what she'll be thinking, I've heard conversations in the office about Kate W and how pregnancy isn't an illness.

I feel really embarrassed now and dreading going back.

natharley11 Tue 04-Nov-14 10:13:42

I literally had months off so much so that ended up going on mat leave at 28 weeks
and as my doctor pointed out pregnancy itself ain't an illness but hyperemisis certainly is.
It's pregnancy related anyhow so she can't do anything your protected

Seeline Tue 04-Nov-14 10:16:38

I was signed off work for about 3 months because of similar. 24 hour nausea and being sick 8-10 times a day at any time of day or night. I wasn't eating and was absolutely exhausted. No-one who has experienced 'morning' sickness will be disgusted.

Missrabbitshouldjoinaunion Tue 04-Nov-14 12:48:38

I worked from home for at least 50% of the time for weeks 6-10 as I felt like such a piece of shit. 24 hour nausea, couldn't keep my eyes open etc. It's lucky I have an 'email and computer based job' which I could do a lot of from home so I didn't really have to take much time off sick but if I'd been a nurse/teacher/something customer facing, there's no way I could have done it.

fortywinx Tue 04-Nov-14 14:00:17

If you weren't pregnant, and you were throwing up that regularly, coughing from a cold (and throwing up from that too) and also weak and dizzy, would you drag yourself to work? Maybe I'm weak willed, but I certainly wouldn't! XD
Just because the underlying cause isn't technically an illness, doesn't mean that you're going to feel any less horrible and incapable of working. Take the time you need to feel better.

dottytablecloth Tue 04-Nov-14 14:02:08

I was off for 7 weeks, horrific sickness.

Don't feel guilty, if you need time you need it.

There is nothing worse than pregnancy sickness, that I have experienced anyway.

Dolly87 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:27:04

Hi Sockstealer

I know exactly how you are feeling, I've been off work for the past 9 weeks with sickness. Like you I'm not being sick every day but the nausea is so debilitating. I'm now 15 weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. I'm a teacher and just know I couldn't physically be on my feet all day looking after children. My boss has been good and hasn't made me feel pressured but I know many who are and please try and not feel bad about it. You've got to think of yourself and your baby. I am having times where I feel not too bad but as soon as I try and do something I feel terrible again. Lots of rest and like others have said it's against the las to discriminate because of pregnancy at work xx

Sockstealer Tue 04-Nov-14 14:52:44

Thanks all.

I don't want to feel like this, I'm not enjoying myself at home. I'd much rather just carry on as normal.

When I was pregnant with ds I just had the odd bout of mild nausea, so I guess if you haven't experienced anything like this you wouldn't understand.

But it's horrible, I have to slowly go downstairs in the morning and force a piece of toast down which gives me about 10 minutes relief. Even in the middle of the night I'm waking up for a wee and retching.

BilboTheAlmighty Tue 04-Nov-14 19:25:51

pregnancy isn't an illness hmm

Nor is breaking a leg or recovering from surgery, and yet no one would question that. The lack of sympathy from some people is staggering really.

LikeSilver Tue 04-Nov-14 19:36:18

I've been off sick with Hyperemesis since six weeks and I've accrued too much annual leave to go back before my maternity leave starts, not that I'm well enough to, STILL sad
Pregnancy sickness is the worst, so sorry you're suffering. Anybody who talks about Kate's Hyperemesis in terms of 'pregnancy is not an illness' is an ignorant asshole.

Feel better soon and check out Pregnancy Sickness Support if you need to.

MrsPopple29 Tue 04-Nov-14 20:37:26

Hi sockstealer,

It sounds like we have very similar symptoms- I too feel nauseous all day but haven't vomited all that much. Over half term (I'm a teacher) I spent the whole time in bed or on the sofa and couldn't do anything without retching!

I've been signed off work for a week and feel so much better for resting and not having to move. I'm really shocked that your boss reacted the way she did- it's completely unacceptable and she shouldn't be making you feel guilty! My boss was very understanding and supportive. Health of you and baby comes first and that's that.

Take all the time you need.

Sockstealer Tue 04-Nov-14 21:30:06

I'm so glad that people here understand.

She didn't say a lot but was rather abrupt and more interested in when is be back rather than how I was feeling. I know the general opinion if morning sickness as I've heard conversations.

She's one if these who prides herself on having gone back to work full time after two weeks so I shouldn't expect much.

It's a miserable place to work anyway atm.

It just makes everything feel 10 times worse worrying about work too.

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 21:32:30

Sock....do not feel under pressure....it's so debilitating when that nausea takes over. Take each day as it comes. I hope you feel better soon,

Sockstealer Tue 04-Nov-14 21:44:20

Thank you for the supportive replies it really does help to hear from people who understand.

I'm so sick of being sick. I probably am a wimp but each day is a struggle, the only bit of relief I get is after I've eaten, but even eating is a struggle.

I've had my tea and a yoghurt and my stomachs churning, and every time I move I'm coughing and retching.

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 21:50:15

It's hard ....I can relate eating is vile but the nausea subsides just slightly when you have eaten....

Just try and keep hydrated as much as you can ....Ice Lollies and water etc....

DrBlondie Tue 04-Nov-14 22:23:41

Another hyperemesis survivor here. I had 8 weeks off with it. Truly horrible condition that no-one who hasn't been through it can really understand. I found the nausea worse to deal with in some ways than the actual vomiting.

I can't add anything new but second you looking at the pregnancy sickness website. They've got some good information about your legal rights and I found the forum to be a real help to talk to others who understand. You've actually got alot of rights being ill due to pregnancy. They can't treat it as normal sick leave. I'll also say bullocks to your boss. Stupid person clearly has no idea of the reality of bad nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. Perhaps you could get hr and/or your union involved if she gives you problems? You really don't want to waste your energy fighting battles with ignorant people, if you can.

Keep your fluids up, however you can. Eat what you can manage, however unlikely it may seem at the time (salty crisps were my saviour). Sleep lots.

Hope you feel better soon but don't beat yourself up if it takes a while. flowers

Sockstealer Tue 04-Nov-14 22:53:14

Thanks ever so much.

That website is brilliant, a lot of other info I've found seems to play it down making me feel like an exaggerator.

Whoever called it morning sickness wants their head testing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now