Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

overthinking washing powder for the baby

(26 Posts)
ffallada Mon 03-Nov-14 21:37:45

Sorry for the boring post.......

I'm trying to stockpile some household items before the baby arrives and am thinking about washing powder and fabric softener. I think I am over-thinking it. I usually buy a non-bio liquid and a separate softener (whatever is on special offer in whatever shop I happen to be in when I'm running out).

Should I be buying a special baby friendly washing stuff? Or will any non-bio do? I was thinking of swapping from a liquid to a powder as I think this will be cheaper (I am assuming I will be doing a hell of a lot more washing than I am doing now).

I'm 35 weeks and at this rate I wont have made up my mind before the childs 1st birthday.

What do you use?

BonaDea Mon 03-Nov-14 21:41:11

Non bio, regular or for sensitive skin. No softener though.

HorraceTheOtter Mon 03-Nov-14 21:45:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Llareggub Mon 03-Nov-14 21:48:54

I don't have babies anymore, but I started using non-bio of whatever is on offer when mine were babies. It's much the same 8 years on !

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 03-Nov-14 21:57:36

Any non-bio, and sensitive conditioner (some people react to conditioner though).

Personally I wouldn't swap to powder, its not that much more washing really (lots of extra items but they are only tiny things, so don't take up that much more space iyswim). Powder is more likely to leave soap residue on clothes which wouldn't be good and is worse for your washing machine.

cogitosum Mon 03-Nov-14 21:58:38

Regular non-bio and comfort pure is what I use. I can't stand washing with no conditioner though.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Nov-14 22:01:45

I only used non-bio for a couple of weeks and then switched to bio as that's what we normally use. There were no skin issues so stuck with the bio. I always use powders as they keep the drum cleaner as they contain bleaches. Always use softener as well - I like the smell of the sensitive ones so tend to use them.

Flisspaps Mon 03-Nov-14 22:24:44

Powder is generally better for machines than liquid.

I think I used 1 box of non-bio with each of my DC then went back to standard bio.

SweetPea3 Tue 04-Nov-14 00:18:47

Fairy non-bio

Fairy sensitive skin fabric conditioner

Bellyrub1980 Tue 04-Nov-14 03:55:36

I use fairy non-bio capsules and fairy conditioner anyway because anything else makes my skin itch. So I've washed all my baby clothes in that. You can nearly always find it on offer somewhere and when I do I stockpile it.

bagofsnakes Tue 04-Nov-14 08:34:35

Ecover non bio powder is great. DS is prone to eczema and it doesn't bother his skin at all. Don't do fabric softeners as they do bother his skin. Used Method liquid when DS was a newborn but it's expensive and I don't think I'll be so precious when DC2 comes along, I'll just keep using Ecover.

Allstoppedup Tue 04-Nov-14 08:37:56

I use Tesco Loves Baby powder and conditioner. (I was a little bit obsessed with washing baby clothes near the end of my pregnancy!) It's non bio, has won some awards and is really good value. Smells lovely but not too intrusive so doesn't cover any beautiful new born smell!

DS is 10 months old now and anyone holding him always seems to give his clothes a sniff and ask what we use. grin

KneeQuestion Tue 04-Nov-14 08:44:27

Fairy non bio. I also went on a washing spree in the late stages! everything I'd bought was washed, folded and ready to go before my babies were born.

RiverTam Tue 04-Nov-14 08:48:20

Fairy non-bio here, no conditioner. We live in a very hard water area and the clothes are very soft. Still do this and DD is nearly 5, any attempt to swap has resulted in her getting a rash.

ZumZee Tue 04-Nov-14 08:57:41

Powder better than liquid at stopping mouldy build-up in the machine, removing stains and killing germs on clothes. Therefore good on baby items that get pooey, sicky and are often white.

Most of the non bio ones also have gentler fragrance which I prefer

SomeSunnySunday Tue 04-Nov-14 09:10:55

I wouldn't stockpile too much. One my my DCs gets horrible eczema if I use anything other than Fairy non-bio or the Aldi capsules. You might want to wait to check that there are no issues first.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Tue 04-Nov-14 09:13:56

In my experience though powder clogs machines (going by the serious powder build up in machines, in the 2 places I rented with them built in) - it was awful. Plus it does have more of a tendency to leave residue on clothes.

Oh and don't stock up too much anyway, if you get a baby without sensitive skin you can change to bio after a few months (better for keeping whites white and getting out stains without pretreating) or if you do get a baby with sensitive skin then some wash liquids, even non-bio may irritate your DC, so better to wait and see.

ffallada Tue 04-Nov-14 12:22:33

This is brilliant - thank you all so much for answering.

I will take your advice and not stock up too much and stick with the non-bio for now.

WingsClipped Tue 04-Nov-14 16:36:50

Powder is much much better for the machines. Ask anyone on the good housekeeping bit. If you get build up it generally means that you are using too much.

We normally use Ariel powder and comfort pure on clothing and sheets (no conditioner on towels as it affect absorbency). When DD2 arrives I will be switching to fairy non bio for her clothes. I did the same for DD1 so the smell is going to bring me back to when DD was a newborn grin

umiaisha Tue 04-Nov-14 16:45:35

Bad mother alert - I used and continue to use bio detergent and normal fabric softener with my two! Found the non-bio stuff didn't shift the stains and would have found it too much effort to wash the kids stuff separately. Luckily they have non-sensitive skin but obviously would have swapped to non-bio should they have suffered ill effects from the bio stuff.

OOAOML Tue 04-Nov-14 16:48:28

I sometimes look at a washing machine repair/model recommendation page run by a washing machine repair guy, and he says powder is much worse than liquid for the machine.

I'd use way less than the recommended amount for baby clothes. Anything sicky/pooey I used to soak and/or prewash (we used cloth nappies so there was a lot of this). I used to use white viniegar instead of conditioner as well.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 04-Nov-14 16:49:59

Powder is better for machines.

I have eczema and can only use non-bio (and then still require an extra rinse) but lots of other countries don't even stock non-bio so it can't be that common. I'd stick to whatever brand you prefer and then switch if you encounter problems.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Nov-14 16:52:48

my washing machine guy said powder is better and there is less build up of gunk than with liquids - the liquids do not contain bleaches so dont keep the drum as clean. I used to get marks on my clothes with liquids but dont now I use powder. I use bio powder

tomanyanimals Wed 05-Nov-14 06:57:01

I ended up going back to my normal Ariel anti bacterial and lemon softener my Ds reacted to everything else so will keep the same for this baby and if he reacts I will have to have a look then but are spending a fortune last time on non bio i will wait and see abit this time hopefully he will be the same and get on with this ok

waceystills Wed 05-Nov-14 11:59:18

My washing machine guide says not suitable for powders, so this not right? I thought liquids were better, why is powder better?

Lots of countries don't even have non-bio washing powder/liquid. It's one of those things we Brits like to use, or so I thought. I just use whatever is on special offer.

Although that would not be the case is DS did have any skin complaints obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now