Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HELP recurrent thrush, anyone used prebiotics ?

(18 Posts)
Babbletalk Mon 03-Nov-14 15:57:55

Hi all,
I'm 21weeks and I've had a few bouts of thrush! I've tried the creams but to no avail. I'm currently eating (and applying!) live natural yogurt like theres no tomorrow! I've read in an old post on Mumsnet that some ladies found taking Bimuno prebiotic powder to be really useful at getting rid of thrush. Just wondering if anyone recently has used it with any success ?

(I don't know how to link to another thread. But the thread I'm referring too was live in Jan 2010 and entitled 'Help! 26 weeks pregnant with chronic thrush')

Thank you.

SleepyMcgee Mon 03-Nov-14 16:21:22

Hi I didn't use the prebiotic you said but I used acidophilus from Holland and Barret when I was pregnant as I too suffered with thrush. I found it really good
You might need an internal pessary to clear the thrush - just check with midwife or chemist about using the plunger thing due to risk of rupturing your waters. My midwife said pessary was ok to use but to use with my finger if you know what I mean.
I also found cutting out as much sugar as possible helped. Hope it clears up soon, I know it can be maddeningly itchy and sore

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 03-Nov-14 16:51:49

Just one thing - has a Dr taken swabs and confirmed its actually thrush? I know that seems like a really daft question but sometimes its possible to get a different infection, that can feel like thrush but not respond properly to treatment because its not actually thrush and thus keep giving repeated "thrush" flair ups. It probably is just thrush caused by hormones but its extra important when pregnant to make sure it really is just thrush and nothing else.

BreeVDKamp Mon 03-Nov-14 17:38:22

Attack it with a pessary!!! One at night and then a 2nd 3 days later if still giving you problems. Perfectly safe in pregnancy. I had thrush for 5 years and so asked my GP when I got pregnant in case I got thrush in pregnancy. Pessaries are recommended but oral thrush medicines aren't.

BreeVDKamp Mon 03-Nov-14 17:40:28

You should be able to buy unbranded clotrimazole pessaries at the pharmacy, should be much cheaper than Canesten but exactly the same. My GP was a bit iffy about probiotic tablets in pregnancy so that's why I'm suggesting it smile hope it clears up soon, it's the worst.

RetroHippy Mon 03-Nov-14 17:58:56

If you're asking about pessaries at the pharmacy and have an obvious bump, well, don't. They won't give it to you if you're pg. I sent DH on a Canasten mission just yesterday while I hid in the car! Bless him. GP will give you a prescription though, which is free with your preggie card (or without if you look desperate enough). if you can wait for an appt.

I've given up on yoghurt/garlic/olive oil etc, it may soothe the itch but it generally doesn't treat the root of the issue and I'd quite like to have sex a few more times before my fanjo is ruined by this baby. Oh, and I'd like to sleep again please.

Thrush is utterly miserable, I can really empathise sad

Flingingmelon Mon 03-Nov-14 18:19:20

Had thrush for most of my pregnancy. After giving birth I was sore and delicate but at least I wasn't itchy!

Was advised to avoid warm baths and sugar and it did help a lot (wasn't much fun though).

Babbletalk Mon 03-Nov-14 18:50:12

Thanks so much for that advice ladies. I think I will get it confirmed by the GP first and she also might advise on acidophilus.

Stillyummy Tue 04-Nov-14 06:23:23

Have you tryed ironing your and DH's underwere? Sounds mad but trust me it helps! X

OpiesOldLady Tue 04-Nov-14 06:50:26

I second/third acidopholous tablets. They changed my life. You want the ones that have to be kept in the fridge though, as they are the strongest. Good luck.

skyra13 Tue 04-Nov-14 07:08:59

I found using a PH blanced wash like femfresh daily really helps clear thrust up as it balances out your ph levels that cause thrust in the first place.
I use it every day now and not had thrust since. your body goes through many changes hope this helps.

Babbletalk Tue 04-Nov-14 13:04:10

Getting a GP appointment is a struggle. I think it would be easier to get into Fort Knoxs!! Off to get myself some femfresh and acidopholous. I've been ensuring our undies go into a hot wash but didn't think to iron them - good idea! Thanks ladies xx

TheHermitCrab Tue 04-Nov-14 13:08:06

I second the first comment - acidophilus from holland and barret is brill for ongoing thrush problems! costs about as much as one canesten pack for a full bottle so lasts much longer.

I'm not sure which chemists retro goes to. I've been twice whilst having an obivous bump for a pessary (run out of acidophilus and was waiting for the penny sale! lol) , served me and he just said that it's best I don't use the applicator (just use your fingers)

BreeVDKamp Thu 06-Nov-14 14:31:16

Is it ok to take acidophilus tablets in pregnancy? My GP said to err on the side of caution. The only thing that keeps my thrush at bay is Kolorex horopito extract tablets but my cousin (pharmacist) and GP both said to avoid. They should deffo sell you a pessary if you're pregnant but just tell you not to use the applicator.

Would be GREAT if acidophilus is AOK in pregnancy, I have 2 bottles in the fridge!! Never noticed an effect but will take them if a pharmacist has said it's safe??

ralv Fri 07-Nov-14 22:14:43

Acidophilus (probiotics in general) is completely safe to take in pregnancy.. In fact everyone should take it as it's linked to a reduction in asthma, eczema and allergies in babies.
For thrush there is a new one specifically for vaginal bacteria called Optibac for Women. And definitely cutting down on sugar and refined carbs as that feeds the yeast.

BreeVDKamp Sat 08-Nov-14 09:45:05

Ooh fab, good to know ralv smile are you a pharmacist/drugs person?

NoRoomForALittleOne Sat 08-Nov-14 09:53:59

I would get it confirmed anyway because some trusts recommend that women with recurrent thrush have a glucose tolerance test to rule out gestational diabetes as an underlying problem that is presenting with recurrent thrush.

Jersey37 Sat 08-Nov-14 12:58:54

Before I was pregnant - I had itching and burning and the doctor thought I had thrush as there was a thrush like discharge. they swabbed it and it wasn't - but prescribed a weekly dose of the fluconazole. Didn't do much though and the cream was useless. It would feel better when I was on antibiotics. They then gave me steroid creams... they didn't do much either! The GPs gave up and sent me to the Colposcopy Clinic where they also thought it was thrush and it wasn't. Olive oil helped a little (they said the vulva looked a little dry) Sometimes it felt like it was also a bladder infection.

So I did A LOT of research on the web. And there is a condition where you produce TOO much good bacteria: Cytolytic Vaginosis. The good bacteria produce an acid and the acid can irritate your skin and make you feel like you have a urinary infection and it also produces a thrush like discharge. Taking the antibiotics probably killed off some of the good bacteria which is why I felt better. The treatment is to slightly raise your PH level by using baking soda sitz baths which, for me, was an instant relief. I top that up by moisterising with E45 lotion which is PH balanced. Also I stopped using tampons (I had previously got in the habit of even using them at night when they said it was ok to use for 8 hours). The bleeding helps raise the PH and keep the good bacteria in check. Possibly a reason why it might flare up in Pregnancy??

What makes me laugh is that the consultant still wants to see me once a year... and totally dismisses my self diagnosis... But there you go... I now feel human again and that is all that matters! So if it isn't thrush when they swab then it might be worth a go! Apparently using yoghurt can just make it worse as it adds to the good bacteria. So definitely see if you can get a swab done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now