Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Loose bowels as a sign of pre-labour...???

(27 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:47:43

Sorry for the TMI post but 8 days overdue and deep in the process of over analysing every symptom to the nth degree!

Had a sweep yesterday. Midwife said it was a really good one and would give me the best possible chance in the next 48 hours.

I bled a lot during and after the sweep, pretty certain a 'show' was present within the blood. Felt really shakey and weirdly emotional all day yesterday (alongside the pain).

Today, I feel great! No pain, loads of energy, baby moving as normal. I went for a long walk earlier. Didnt even get any pelvic pain. Planning on doing my yoga DVDS in a minute.

Anyhoo.... Just now I suddenly had to dash to the loo with very loose bowels. Tummy feels all grumbly now like another 'clear out' is on its way (sorry!!! blush). Obviously ive read this is a sign of pre labour so now my hopes are right up!!

My question is, did you have this before going into labour? If so... how long between the loose bowels and contractions starting??

(It could just be a dicky tummy of course, so trying to keep this in perspective....)

PS apologies if my 'am I about to go into labour?' posts are annoying! If so, please just ignore!! (I'm annoying myself!!)

blackwidow74 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:03:38

I did have the 'clear out' and it does happen as a pre labour thing ... The pressure of baby forces everything out quite unceremoniously lol!

HexBramble Mon 03-Nov-14 14:04:45

Yes, definitely the same for me and my two babies.

Woo-hoo!! Things are happening.

<excited>

bobs123 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:06:42

Haha - better to get it all out now rather than during birth (what I did) Sounding promising...smile

bobs123 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:07:29

Have we had anyone go through labour on MN???? Do I need the get the popcorn grin

DayLillie Mon 03-Nov-14 14:12:07

I had this both times. The first time after waters broke, but before contractions started, the second about an hour after contractions (waters intact).

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:46:51

So could be any time now then??!

I'm literally not feeling any other labour related symptoms! But if I do I shall try to update! Although I'm hoping it will all happen very suddenly in the next 5 minutes so hopefully I won't be able to update!

grin

bobs123 Mon 03-Nov-14 15:03:17

Spoilsport....go and eat a mega hot curry smile

Jodie1982 Mon 03-Nov-14 15:04:46

I most definitely had a good clear out in all my pregnancies before labour started. grin

Longdistance Mon 03-Nov-14 15:11:59

I had a clear out with dd2. I had a 40 week appointment, the mw offered me a sweep. I refused, dd was born 48 hours later.

I didn't have any signs with dd1, I was constipated with her hmm but was anxious on the day.

Good luck, get bouncing and gyrating those hips.

TriciaMcM Mon 03-Nov-14 15:32:16

Had this and vomiting a few hours before baby arrived. Definitely sounds like things starting. Good luck!

HulaHoopsInTheBath Mon 03-Nov-14 16:00:38

Had this with DC1. My labour had actually started by that point but I was in denial and thought it was trapped wind rather than contractions (despite being 8 days over hmm)
Good luck!

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 18:15:49

Well... 3 hours later and nothing!!! Except some back twinges which I'm obviously assuming will develop into contractions within the next hour or so!

Spent a good few hours on the gym ball before dinner and put extra chilli in the stir fry.

I am trying promise!!!

bobs123 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:19:07

Lol...don't forget you also have the sex option blush

Bellyrub1980 Tue 04-Nov-14 02:20:45

Still bleeding from the sweep Bobs123 otherwise DTD would have been happening tonight!

Chunderella Tue 04-Nov-14 08:56:51

Yep! I was having twinges, then my waters broke- very early in the game. Then went and did a big emptying poo, nothing left after that. I know this because I didn't poo during labour. Better out than in!

Standinginline Tue 04-Nov-14 09:15:24

Yep, with both my kids I felt "uneasy" down there and loose. With my first I started getting cramps at 12 which I thought was trapped wind so persisted with my decorating blush Come 6 and I was on the loo constantly, then he was born at half 7. With my second I knew I was in labour, and was very loose at the early stages.

I think your body likes to have a clear out before the baby comes. When people ask what labour feels like I ever so elegantly reply with "like you need a big poo". Which even though sounds very crass, is true, especially when you get to that pushing towards the end.

bobs123 Tue 04-Nov-14 10:01:32

Any news Bellyrub? Still in one piece or two? grin

Bellyrub1980 Tue 04-Nov-14 18:57:37

Still singular!! Loose poo meant nothing!!!

BumpOct2014 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:01:48

Aww...had my fingers crossed for you!
I'm really hoping mine starts tonight as in for induction tomorrow confused

AntiDistinctlyMinty Tue 04-Nov-14 19:03:44

Belly don't despair yet - I had the big clear out almost exactly 24 hours before my first contraction with all three of mine. It could still happen overnight grin

Bellyrub1980 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:25:49

Well since this thread is already TMI I may as well tell you I've just lost a massive mucous plug! I really thought I'd had a show before but I realise now it wasn't nope.... This was the real deal!! Yaaayyyy!!!

However, a quick look on google and this could mean that labour is going to happen any time between now and...... Oh..... next week.... Okay, back to reality!!

Bellyrub1980 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:28:03

Bump! I didn't realise it was happening that quickly! How far along are you??

All the very best of luck for spontaneously going into labour any time now!!! If not, I hope the induction goes well... Please keep us updated!!!

Chunderella Tue 04-Nov-14 19:32:41

No such thing as TMI on the pregnancy boards! But I would say that at 9 days overdue, having had a massive shit and now a bloody show, the big day is probably here. Best of luck.

BumpOct2014 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:33:23

41+2 tomorrow. It was either then or 42 - nothing in between as I'd really wanted Friday.

I am really hoping it does start but as I said I haven't had any signs whatsoever - feeling a bit apprehensive about it but if they examine me and say I'm dilated or anything I may postpone it and see if it'll happen naturally.

Would feel better if I'd had SOME indication something was going to happen.

Will also keep my fingers crossed for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now