Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

sickness and nausea 24/7!!

(7 Posts)
beeecaaa Mon 03-Nov-14 12:46:36

Hi!

I'm new on this site, infact my doctor recommended that I join mumsnet so here I am!

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and my sickness is just awful! Most days I can't even sit up without a rush of nausea. I can't keep any food or liquids down and I'm concerned about how my unborn baby is getting his/her nutrients if I'm not eating!

Most days all I eat is a packet of crisps or a slice of bread and that comes back up an hour later.

I've also been missing alot of work because of this which I really can't afford.

Today, I went to see my doctor and begged her for help. She prescribed me some tablets for a weeks course but told me I should join mumsnet and see if any other mums / mums-to-be have any advice.

If the tablets haven't helped by next week I will be signed off sick from work and I'll be referred to the hospital fpr more tests. Neither of these sound appealing to me.

So, I guess my question is.. does anybody know of any natural remedies or good foods that may be able to help?

I'm so desperate. Any help would be much appreciated! Thankyou :-)

guinnessgirl Mon 03-Nov-14 12:49:18

Hmmm. Well, i make ginger and lemon infusion to try to help with my nausea - but really, i think you're beyond natural remedies... sounds like you need more support from your gp, frankly.

WhatKatyDidnt Mon 03-Nov-14 13:05:13

I suffered with same as you for way too long - pretty much my entire pregnancy (unsupportive GP who advised I should live with it). I've since learned that I really should have gone in to hospital for some proper treatment... There are times when a ginger biscuit <scream> just won't cut it! Good luck.

thechinaclogs Mon 03-Nov-14 16:09:20

You poor thing. I am also 10 weeks and writing from bed, with a bucket next to me. These are tough times.
I would have a look at this page from the National Institute of Clinical Excellence
cks.nice.org.uk/nauseavomiting-in-pregnancy#!scenario
as it gives some helpful information on the anti-vomiting drugs you have been prescribed (it advises combining these with a Vitamin B6 supplement, ask about that at the pharmacy) and on other stuff you can do. I have found ginger tea to help mildly, along with mints, and the acupressure thing. You can buy acupressure wrist bands from the pharmacy but I found just rubbing the correct spot for a minute or two was great. You can find it using these instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcZs6BYFyTo
On top of this I've been drinking lucozade (I saw it on another thread) and that's definitely given me energy and restored my will to live smile.
Hopefully your meds will start to work within a few days, as it's worrying that you're unable to keep liquids down. If they don't work, go back to your GP and ask to try a second line alternatives. Agree with the others that she sounds quite rubbish so you may need to take a print out of the page with you and refer her to it. If things get worse and you are dehydrated, just go straight to hospital. I know you don't want to end up there but it's important not to put yourself at risk. I would also consider availing of the week off work since tiredness makes all your symptoms much worse.
Finally, try to remember that week 10 is supposed to be the worst of them all, so whatever happens, we should both be on the up in a week or two. Hang in there!

jellybelly701 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:35:27

Don't worry your baby will be getting all the nutrients it needs. They get first dibs and you get whatever is left over wink

I lost over two stone in my first trimester from sickness. Even with the help of multiple anti-sickness tablets/injections. I was sick so often and so quickly that if I swallowed a small chunk of ice it would come back up frozen still.

If your tablets do not work you need to go back to your GP and ask for a different type. There will be a range of different ones that suit different people. If your sickness gets really bad you could even ask for anti-sickness injection which can be administered daily if need be.

Do you think you are dehydrated? If you pinch the skin on the back of the hand does it spring back quickly or slowly? Is your urine quite dark? I found that dehydration plays a big part in how morning sickness effects you. My sickness was 10x worse if I wasn't adequately hydrated. This of course is difficult to achieve when water refuses to stay put. So if you think you may be dehydrated you should probably take a trip to hospital. You will be given IV fluids which can do you the world of good. I could have skipped around the ward after receiving a few bags! I felt great!

I would avoid citrus fruits or anything acidic really. If the thought of a certain type of food turns your stomach then avoid it, it wont stay down. If something looks/sounds/smells even remotely appetising then go for it. It doesn't matter what it is, if you can eat it then eat it. For me this was cheesey puffs. Nothing else would stay down.

I also found that a nice warm bath made me feel slightly better, or a hot well warm water bottle.

This totally sucks I know, but it will pass. If you want a chat or a moan about it you can PM if you like thanks

beeecaaa Mon 03-Nov-14 20:41:57

Thanks all, I really appreciate all the advice I can get!

My doctor wasn't unsupportive, but she sort of looked at me as if to say "You're pregnant, what do you expect?!".

I just can't keep on like this and I need to go to work.

Once again, thanks all. I will try lucozade, ginger and lemon as you recommended :-)

Thanks xx

clover83 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:09:40

There's lots of good advice here. I'd also really recommend reading www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk - it really helped me. Lots of facts, stuff about drugs/treatments and ideas on how to approach your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now