Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mat Allowance - Can I work after having baby while receiving this?

(7 Posts)
18yearsoftrying Mon 03-Nov-14 11:56:15

Can't find the answer online at all.

I am entitled to (& have confirmation) that I am entitled to MA for the full 39 weeks.

If I wish to return to work after giving birth before this 39 weeks expires, do I have to stop claiming this? Or am I entitled to this still even if I return to work?

I can't find the answer online anywhere. Might have something to do with just the 3 hours sleep I have had since Fri.

Sorry if I am being thick.

BlueberryWafer Mon 03-Nov-14 12:00:44

You can't claim benefits and work, that defeats the object. The whole point in maternity allowance is so you have money whilst not working smile

Thelovecats Mon 03-Nov-14 12:34:15

You can do some 'keeping in touch' days I believe.

Rockchick1984 Mon 03-Nov-14 12:58:17

You can do 10 KIT days however if you return to work you will need to stop claiming MA - same as SMP would cease if a person getting that from their employer returned to work.

bonzo77 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:02:31

Y y to the kits days. I did them in the last couple of months of mat leave to ease my way back into work and to ease the transition for the DCs

18yearsoftrying Tue 11-Nov-14 07:12:49

Aha, thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Not sure I'll need KIT days but will speak with employer when that time comes.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 11-Nov-14 10:42:27

No, you definitely can't work while in receipt of it other than KIT days.

Beware - if you are receiving Maternity Allowance it is up to you to confirm your start and end dates for your maternity period with the right department. Your employer will not do this for you unless you are on Statutory and they complete all the paperwork.

It is a total hassle to cancel MA in my experience and if you don't get them to switch it off promptly and have to pay any of it back, you are treated like a total benefits thief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now